Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Year and model of the original truck.

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.

Cummins 2.8L crate engine package

3. What went really well with the swap?

Pretty much everything. We jus took our time, carefully designing the swap kit as we went along.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?

Not finished yet, cruise control will be potentially difficult to get working since it's drive by wire, AC hasn't been attacked yet.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?

Waaaaay too many to list here, check out this thread for details on build: Delta Vehicle Systems goes to Overland

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.

Just took the rig on a "break-in" drive, the Cummins RePower Cruise. Boise>Idaho Falls>Missoula>Spokane>Boise. Total of 1,217 miles right off the bat. Mostly freeway driving, some dirt roads. Throttle response is a bit lacking, but we are working on a tune to address that.

Using the A440F seems to be the ticket. Doing this will keep the conversion cost way down, and it drives pretty darn nice.

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D

Seeing about 22mpg with 35x12.5x17 General X3's. Waaaaay better than the 3FE would be able to pull off!!

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.

Still working on that part. We intend to have a kit that makes it an almost completely "bolt-in" operation, minus welding in motor mounts.

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.

IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_3342.jpg
IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3507.jpg

10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.

See #5 above.

Well, I guess I am comfortable to post mine now after semi-finishing the project.

1. Year and model of the original truck... 1993. Originally purchase 1998 as a family car. Was parked for 4 years - kids left the house. :(
2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.... 1HDFT/H151. Drivetrain work was done by Vally Hybrids in Stockton. Georg and Dom are my heroes!
3. What went really well with the swap?... Since it is an original engine for this vehicle, there were no complications. Blogs on this site helped a lot!
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?... Nothing specific.
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? Building a full camper, so the back will be a couch + fully functional kitchen. Hot water with circulating pump.
6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement... Drove this weekend 2000 miles to Arizona and back including 4 wheeling. No issues at all.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D... Got 23 mpg on this trip at 70 mph and also some 4 wheeling.
8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy... Probably ***. Blogs helped very much.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OaywEMCS9z0jNLvO2

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_8850.jpg

So I have been driving my 6BT swap for about 2 weeks, only issue I have is my alternator voltage regulator, is bad but I have another one, I believe my stand alone is about where I want it, I have full TC lock up at 35 and 45, I think the next thing is changing my gearing, to 3.54 . I have been getting 19-21.6 MPG ( I have a heavy foot ) and I am pretty happy with it, I get a lot of attention from the WTF looks and the OMFG I want one, I let my son drive it to school and his buddies are a little jelly :hillbilly: . I will do this again, maybe even buy one and flip it :steer:

View attachment 1462024
Greetings Shocktower,
Good evening. It looks great! What gear ratio were you running to get the 19-21.6 mpg? Also, what was your tire size?
Thanks,
David

Greetings Shocktower,
Good evening. It looks great! What gear ratio were you running to get the 19-21.6 mpg? Also, what was your tire size?
Thanks,
David

Stock gearing and 35's , I have a really fat foot

Stock gearing and 35's , I have a really fat foot
My foot must be a lot fatter foot than yours... 17 is the best before i got 3.55 gears and 19ish. Both situations with 35” tires.

My foot must be a lot fatter foot than yours... 17 is the best before i got 3.55 gears and 19ish. Both situations with 35” tires.

You running a 4bt, do you burn diesel or bio-diesel 15-20 bio mix ??, what tune are you using do you have a fuel pin ?? what is your timing ??

Okay folks...I guess I'll start it off...

1. Year and model of the original truck.
Started out as an Oregon truck...1991 FJ80, 220+k miles.

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
Toyota 12H-T 4L direct injected turbo diesel, mated to the A440 automatic tranny and full time transfer case that was originally behind the 3FE.

I was really surprised at how easily and well the diesel slipped into the gasser tranny. Basically 12H-T ring gear, torque converter, bell housing...and then on to the gasser components from tranny onwards.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
It would have been a nightmare if I didn't have access to a bunch of misc. parts to figure out tranny cooling lines and stuff. Luckily, Sheldon and Greg of G&S are good friends and were instrumental in this project. Other than that...the exhaust system was a PITA and $$$ because the 12H-T dumps on the wrong side and there's a lot of bends before it ends.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
2-3" Procomp lift, 33" BFG AT KO, Airflow Snorkel, dual batteries with a Redarc Smart Start solenoid, ISSPRO pyro and boost gauges, manual boost controller (14 psi), etc. Oh yeah...it has a K&N filter...lol. :D

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
Awesome! The 3FE had more top speed on the freeway...but in every other application, felt like a slug compared to the 12H-T. It is noticably louder than the 3FE...sounds like an older Cummins...but I like that. :D

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol.
With winter fuel, I was only getting 14.5 US MPG for city driving...but keep in mind that my work is only ten minutes away from my home...so the diesel doesn't really ever get to warm up. Seems like we've switched to summer fuel already...and I've seen an improvement already on the first tank. Right now I have 200 miles and there's still about a third of the tank left...with winter fuel I'd be down to less than a quarter already. I'll update what I'm getting in town with summer fuel after a couple of tanks.

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.
I'd say ****, simply because of all the custom work that needed to be done compared to if I had chosen to drop in a 1HD-T.

Airflow_Snorkel.sized.jpg

90_percent_done_002.sized.jpg

:D
3FE_coming_out_013.sized.jpg

It's on my sig line...but...
New project - 12H-T turbo diesel transplant into my 1991 FJ80.

:beer:
I love diesel, where I came from most of Toyota’s are diesel and I would love to make the conversion. I got a Fj80 that I want to make the swap, but I don’t know nobody that does.

I love diesel, where I came from most of Toyota’s are diesel and I would love to make the conversion. I got a Fj80 that I want to make the swap, but I don’t know nobody that does.

I know of 2 businesses on Ih8Mud that do Toyota diesel swaps:

@orangefj45 - Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers does swaps in Norcal, as noted above

@torfab - Torfab does swaps in Washington State.

I have worked with Valley Hybrids in Stockton. The guys there are amazing, and highly recommended. Georg and Dom have worked on my vehicles (3 diesel conversions over the last 10 years which I still own) and these are being driven daily on and off road. They can help you find a drivetrain too. All you need is patience, and they will do an awesome job. You will never sell the vehicle. :)

1. Year & model
97 FZJ80
2. Drivetrain
94 6BT NV4500 HF2A
no problems
4. What was difficult with the swap?
AC--I haven't figured out the ac hoses yet. Kinda tight in the front for fan, etc...
5. Mods
Stock air cleaner (increased inlet/outlet to 4"), Holset He400wg, BD injectors, fuel cam plate , AFC spring , Governer springs,16 degree timing,Cobra downpipe to complete 4" exhaust and Aero Turbine muffler.
6. Driving impressions?
Very happy with it! Runs great-Sounds awesome-Drives great. A little heavy offroad but still a blast!
7. Fuel mileage
17 average with stock gears and 37" Toyo MT's
8. Difficulty of the swap
Compared to previous swaps with the Isuzu diesel I would say this was much easier-the motor is a much better fit.
9. 2 or 3 pictures of your rig

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 6.11.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 6.16.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 5.58.36 PM.png

So dose anyone know if someone out there is still making a conversion kit or parts for a 6BT to FJ80???? looking for A/C, alternator, engine harness, parts ect.

So dose anyone know if someone out there is still making a conversion kit or parts for a 6BT to FJ80???? looking for A/C, alternator, engine harness, parts ect.

@witsend and @lostih make a nv4500-hf2a adapter. Other than that it’s research through all the threads and learn how others adapt the stuff you mentioned.

use stock dodge accessories. just need to have new ac lines made with adapters and an external alt regulator. only a few wires needed to make is run and get sensor wires back.

use stock dodge accessories. just need to have new ac lines made with adapters and an external alt regulator. only a few wires needed to make is run and get sensor wires back.
I was planing on using as many dodge parts as I could , it looks like there are some very helpful brackets that make every fit very nicely, that I would like to find.

@witsend and @lostih make a nv4500-hf2a adapter. Other than that it’s research through all the threads and learn how others adapt the stuff you mentioned.
I have the transmission part figured out, I think (unless I change my mind again) so it the accessories that I need to work on.

Hey guys,
Just finished the 80 conversion that I mentioned a few pages ago. In January I was done with the drivetrain and put 12K miles on the vehicle while building the 'camper' part in the back. By early June I finished and took it on a 8K miles trip to Alaska from the SF bay Area. I wrote a blog with the details if anyone is interested... Got about 8 offers on the road to buy the vehicle. I figured $300K should cover my time. Parts would be free. It drove like a dream. I had two screws come loose on the AC condenser which I fixed in 2 minutes. With the boxes on the roof I got 21 mpg average.

Hi guys,I also replaced on my 105 the aspirated hzj engine with an engine bought at Djibouti hdj turbo,I then replaced the monoblock and pistons new original toyota,the transformation came very well,but I would like to replace the old original turbine CT26 with a new, the old turbine had made 300K kilometers.
Thank you for hosting me in this mythical forum from which I took a lot of ideas
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom