What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They're pretty easy to rebuild. Very simple, straightforward piece of machinery. Looks like all the bits are there except for 1/2 of the clutch knob.

First thing I need is new battery cables to see if it works. I'd like to run it as-is with new wire rope for a while before rebuilding it.

So last week I serviced the 40 and while up in the air I decided to check the tranny and t-case fluid level. The tranny gear oil shot out like it was under pressure and I had a hunch the t-case would would be low. Sure enough, the t-case was low but not dry. My 40 is the latest victim of the infamous "bad seal":frown:. I PM'd shipmag inquireing on his transfer hose and ordered a 12.75" for my stock 82. It arrived today and the transmission and transfer case where drained and serviced with fresh 80W-90 gear oil. shipmags awesome product will buy me some time allowing me to continue driving the 40 until I can pull and rebuild the T-case. I'm seven weeks post shoulder surgery and in no position to correct the problem.

8%R74yuwTDOObCJat+xnsw.jpg

What a nice robust product.
evyoTd9RRp+YDptcrpr9tQ.jpg

The 12.75" hose provides a gentle sweep allowing for easy gravity drain back to the T-case.
CLN5G%JIR2S4EroqiaQekw.jpg

All buttoned up with no leaks. The banjo fittings come with an O-ring impregnated seal so it doesn't require to much torque. I will probably pick up some copper seals as I like things a little tighter when out in the middle of nowhere.
JUOPvd1dT96qHDc+Z3RLIw.jpg

Shout out to shipmag for investing the time and providing an awesome product!

No sexy pictures, but I’m getting close: Bled the brakes, bled the clutch master/slave, installed the drive shafts, and put in 5 gallons of antifreeze, 8-1/2 qts of break-in oil, and about 3 gallons of gear oil. I guess my 40 is finally happy because it didn’t draw any blood today. Unless I chicken out I guess I’ll turn the key on Friday.

i decided to Dare myself into Restoring Five 84332-60021 Hazard Switch's , all at once , all in one Session ..................... :poof:

note: knobs Pre-finised from previous Session days before

DSCN9915.JPG
DSCN9918.JPG
DSCN9919.JPG
DSCN9924.JPG
DSCN9925.JPG

Started to remove the tool box from the floor of my '71 FJ40. Not that exciting.

What was more exciting was two different black bear sightings today. The first bear was casually wandering along a dirt trail right off the main drag between my neighborhood and town. I was driving my '86 FJ60 to NAPA to pick up the remanufactured AFM for my '93 4-Runner (which solved my problem :)). Then later this evening, when I was heading into my backyard from the driveway to fetch a tub for draining the 4-Runner's cooling system, I saw another bear sniffing around the base of a tree in the corner of my yard, I think he had just finished snacking on some of the cherries that are just now getting ripe on another tree out back. My wife and I watched him out the bedroom window as he climbed over the fence into the neighbor's yard. Sorry, no bear pictures (or FJ40 pictures) yet.

@AutaviaFJ40

This image of yours is quite good on multiple levels.

1) sure, it's cute of your half-awake cat upon the roof. But more so, the interaction of your cat to your vehicle reflects the direct connection of your 40 to your family - proving your rig is an integral part of you & your household.

2) the perspective you used is good. We can clearly tell it's a unique 40 from the interesting angle you chose, even though the entire vehicle is not revealed; thus, not obnoxiously demanding to us what it is. With the limited surface area of the vehicle, it's therefore not at all competing with your cat, which is the actual subject. Further, the amount of negative space above the roof of the vehicle forces the viewer's eye to immediately go to the cat - and not get permanently stuck on the 40, itself (had more of the vehicle been wrongly revealed).

3) the lighting upon your 40 is quite nice & pleasing to the viewer's eye. The almost golden light of the setting or rising sun offers us a pleasant warmth to its classic beige color - helping to prove the nostalgia of the vehicle; and similarly, the satisfied comfort of your cat to the vehicle, itself.

4) the vehicle, as seen, is very nicely clean (or let's say, clean enough ;) ), and its curves you revealed are classically sharp looking, rendering it not only becoming to us viewers - but enticing as well. This image makes us humble people wish your vehicle were that of our own.

5) what is not easily determined by others, as it is somewhat subliminal to the majority of us, is that we glance straight through the vehicle's rear, semi-clean glass and look directly upon the very sharp in focus to us vacant steering wheel. Although the vehicle has now already been made enticing to us, we now want to be sitting in its driver's seat - holding that exact steering wheel with our own two hands.

. . . That darn cat of yours had better become alert - cauz through this really good image of yours, we're on the cusp of hopping on in & driving it away !! :)

Good job !!

utn.JPG

My father "installed" a bleach bottle cap on the unused speedometer input on the side of my tb400 transmission. Installed a proper block off: Amazon product ASIN B077PL47YV. Pulled the transmission pan to change the filter and see if I can get the pan to stop leaking. Discovered the yoke clearance issue with SBC conversions with tb400.

Bought a new pan, current one was hammered to clear the yoke. The aluminum pan is much heavier and I got a rubber gasket. Now to pull off the flange and find out if I'm coarse thread of fine thread and order the AA reduced yoke. 716370 : Toyota Land Cruiser Ultra Clearance Front Drive Shaft (coarse spline) | Advance Adapters

I'm curious if anyone has installed this and can comment about the clearance on the pan.

. Sorry, no bear pictures (or FJ40 pictures) yet.

I got your back-
0573C2E6-0554-4A03-ABFB-8A81B1DA1ADD.jpeg
8E3E42A1-87C3-4D46-8DCD-D0346CB39802.jpeg

We spotted these two wandering around at work yesterday. Bear proof trash containers are encouraged and used, but they always find something to munch on. No forty content, just wildlife...

Painted some parts, then loaded
3A8B3FE0-BFA7-44BD-AC32-EDF6B332BA24.jpeg
the dogs into the 40 to go down to the shop. Forgot my phone. So went back in the house to get it. Grabbed it off the table and turned to head back out and there was an explosion behind me. A bald eagle flew right through the triple pane view window, ending up in the living room. Failure to achieve critical altitude while laden with salmon just snagged from the water. Somehow it survived and managed to fly off once extricated from the house. Took forever to clean up glass while the dogs hid out in the truck. Ended up going nowhere today

Painted some parts, then loadedView attachment 2010328 the dogs into the 40 to go down to the shop. Forgot my phone. So went back in the house to get it. Grabbed it off the table and turned to head back out and there was an explosion behind me. A bald eagle flew right through the triple pane view window, ending up in the living room. Failure to achieve critical altitude while laden with salmon just snagged from the water. Somehow it survived and managed to fly off once extricated from the house. Took forever to clean up glass while the dogs hid out in the truck. Ended up going nowhere today
You need to move. Looks like an awful place to live.

Painted some parts, then loadedView attachment 2010328 the dogs into the 40 to go down to the shop. Forgot my phone. So went back in the house to get it. Grabbed it off the table and turned to head back out and there was an explosion behind me. A bald eagle flew right through the triple pane view window, ending up in the living room. Failure to achieve critical altitude while laden with salmon just snagged from the water. Somehow it survived and managed to fly off once extricated from the house. Took forever to clean up glass while the dogs hid out in the truck. Ended up going nowhere today
Yeah, I’m trying real hard to feel sorry for you but seeing that view out your back deck............ Nah! :cheers:

Took the top and doors off and put on aluminum half doors and a real steel tailgate.

Had the exhaust manifold replaced this week. Mechanic forgot to put the hairpin back where the accelerator linkage meets the carb.

Had a scary situation on the freeway last night when the linkage popped out. Luckily had enough momentum to get down an exit and zip tie it for the few blocks to the closest auto parts store. I knew what it was right when it happened. Glad I had zip ties in the car and was happy I was so close to an open parts store.

Will be calling the shop owner tomorrow to let them know what happened. I know mistakes happen, but they should be aware.

20190623_192942.jpg

20190623_192937.jpg

20190623_193004.jpg

Last edited:

How was the salmon?

As the front axle overhaul of the karma cruiser continues, I discovered that my left spindle had a hairline crack starting. My karma to find it ‘on the bench’ so to speak instead of on the trail.
825F4A86-DF80-4855-87C0-E38435E64808.jpeg

Crack is the darker area in the radius where the inner wheel bearing meets the flange of the spindle.

Now I could have easily gone to the pallet rack and pulled off one of the 120 or so spindles that @cruiseroutfit and @zebrabeefj40 were teasing me about last year, but I didn’t. Out in the driveway next to the 40 were a couple of very greasy spindles that @1985TLC gifted me last year. They were SO greasy, I wasn’t worried about leaving them out all winter in the rain!

Cleaned one of them up and voila, it was a gem. Thanks Samuel!

Hoping to get it back on the ground tomorrow. But it’s just hoping. Got to get back on the mail order rebuilds first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom