Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a follow up to my knuckle question. I went through my knuckle rebuild parts bins this morning only to find that the wiper seals on a 70 are slightly larger than a 60, yet smaller than an 80. Definately different.

The bearings all appear to be the same, although the inner (larger) bearings I took out had no numbers on them. Is @cruiseroutfit the place for 70 series parts?

It seems to be common for non-JIS "hardware" nuts and bolts to show up on a cruiser from the countries below Mexico.

As a follow up to my knuckle question. I went through my knuckle rebuild parts bins this morning only to find that the wiper seals on a 70 are slightly larger than a 60, yet smaller than an 80. Definately different.

The bearings all appear to be the same, although the inner (larger) bearings I took out had no numbers on them. Is @cruiseroutfit the place for 70 series parts?

We've got all the 7x Series axle parts from individual seals/gaskets to full knuckle rebuild kits. Tie rod end kits, all the suspension parts, driveshaft bolt kits, clutch kits for that 1FZ/H151, etc.

Cruiser Outfitters will be your best friend....or your wallets :rofl: With Beno's retirement, options are getting smaller for very knowledgeable parts people. Very good dealings with them.

Man, that guy that bought this on eBay had literally no chance of getting this right without spending a ton. You've got some work ahead of you, but from previous builds I've seen of yours, you aren't over your head at all. That poor truck was just hacked together. I think you are in a good place having a big parts stash available. I'm pretty sure there was something about converting the front end to 60 series or 4 runner stuff.

What I've found dabbling here in the 70 series is that there is some mis-information, not a lot of documentation and only a few sources for parts. I've found that if I can't 100% confirm and backup that the part I need is on partsouq or another Toyota online page, it's by far easier to go with a mud-approved vendor than has the right part. I've spent hours researching some parts, ordering and getting the wrong part even though everything say it "should" work.

Very cool looking truck, unfortunately you've got some work and un-fuggery ahead of you. On the plus side it will be super sweet when done.

It only has one battery in the engine bay as I recall from the older ads when it was for sale, so I would assume it is 12V.

It only has one battery in the engine bay as I recall from the older ads when it was for sale, so I would assume it is 12V.
Oh well, I thought I could help him with the windshield wiper issue but mine is 24V.

Got this information from an old post in classifieds (link: SOLD - Arizona: 7x series Folding Wiper Arms ). It is for the LHD J-hook, folding type arms.

Try these P/Ns:

85221-60090 LHD folding type, J hook end wiper arm #1
85211-60080 LHD folding type, J hook end wiper arm #2
85261-90K00 (end plastic caps)

I get a lot of my 7x service parts from Cruiser Brothers , Georg @orangefj45 works on these 7x's at Valley Hybrids on a daily base and has most parts in stock

Thanks @FJ73Texas Toyodiy showed these numbers related to my VIN.... all of these are unavailable. The numbers you posted all are live and available.

Last edited:
Cruiser Outfitters will be your best friend....or your wallets :rofl: With Beno's retirement, options are getting smaller for very knowledgeable parts people. Very good dealings with them.

You got that right :rolleyes: . I attempted to order some parts from another vendor and was told this:

"We don't offer special order parts as general service, its just outside of our current business model. We do on occasion accommodate special orders for our regular customers particularly when part of a larger order. Good luck!"

I guess I will have to resort to the online vendors for the small stuff because the local parts guys here in San Antonio are terrible. Onur's departure from supplying parts left a huge void.

Last edited:
The first thing you should do and I mean the very first thing is apply for a patent on your thread title.
"75 Series Truck - VZ Shade Tree Special" is the best thread title I have ever seen on 'MUD. :)

Just thinking about this comment..... my favorite thread that I started based on name is still....

Sorry for the confusion. The numbers you posted are all available, and in my cart already. I was saying that the numbers that show for my VIN are not available. Not sure why they don't supercede to your part numbers.

Yep, thats what you are going to find. Parts may or may not be the correct ones, might not translate to your VIN or there may be some that fit for a completely different engine/vehicle (my 13BT CAM bearings were from a 14B)

Yep, thats what you are going to find. Parts may or may not be the correct ones, might not translate to your VIN or there may be some that fit for a completely different engine/vehicle (my 13BT CAM bearings were from a 14B)

I will take a picture of my wiper ends needed and maybe someone can tell me if that part number end is similar.

Definately not like a 80 series arm.

as I said above, I grabbed a 60 series outer from my parts barn and tore it down to get the Spindle. However, before I did that I cleaned up the outer balls and realized there’s actually a slight indentation..... I’m used to on 80 series and 40 series them being quite round. Both sides are this way, so is this just wear or is this standard on a 70? View attachment 2005087View attachment 2005088

The spindles seem identical ... 60 series on the left 70 series on the right View attachment 2005089
That truck must have hundreds of thousands of very hard miles on it!

Wow! I didn't see that at your house a couple weeks ago?!?!?!?

On the knuckle balls, if needed, you could have a couple routes to go to repair the divot where the seals have ridden and worn for years. You could run a weld bead down them, then grind / sand it down to match the rest of the ball. It may be easier to use JB weld or a Bondo like substance that hardens, then hand-sand into shape.

I've seen that kind of wear on an old Chevy farm truck. It's from lots of miles in an abrasive environment and the oil/grease dripping out attracted the grit, which in-turn, ground the groove in the ball.

Good Luck!

You got that right :rolleyes: . I attempted to order some parts from another vendor and was told this:

"We don't offer special order parts as general service, its just outside of our current business model. We do on occasion accommodate special orders for our regular customers particularly when part of a larger order. Good luck!"

I guess I will have to resort to the online vendors for the small stuff because the local parts guys here in San Antonio are terrible. Onur's departure from supplying parts left a huge void.

That was us. :rolleyes:

To clarify, we stock over 6500 part numbers, a large number of which fit the 7x Series, everything from steering parts to dash parts. We specialize in servicing our in-stock parts with same day shipping, that represents 98% of our orders. We do add to our inventory daily, much of which is based on customer inquiries or parts needs from our wholesale partners, i.e. if we see general demand for an item, rather than buy one we will buy 10 and keep them on the shelf. If it's not a part we will sell more than once every a year-two or we've never had previous inquiries on it... we can't dedicate much shelf space to it, it simply costs $$ to service parts on the shelf or special order. Now, as many of our regular customers will attest, we can and do often bring in onsey-twosy small trim parts, etc for them as part of regular orders but for us to setup parts in the computer, order them with our regular freight from Japan, receive them and ship... it just isn't a workable model for customers ONLY using us for that portion of their business... i.e. you've spent $12.50 with us ever, certainly you've got a source for your regular Cruiser maintenance and upgrade parts that you have been "resorting" to? IMO hey should be your go-to for special order parts as it's frankly a service not a business opportunity :D

I'd love for a business to prove me wrong, we would love to have a place to send customers for $10-100 international special order parts as we did with Beno for years.

If that really is wear, it’s the most consistent wear imaginable.... if so, I agree JB Weld, then paint. Did that on Foo years ago to fill in all the rust and it held up very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom