The Age Old 100 vs 80 Debate With a Twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Show me an international expedition vehicle using an IFS 100 series platform. There are some but rare. Maltec who arguably builds some of the best off road expedition vehicles in the world feels the 80 platform is the best. The latest creation pictured below built for the US market is built on 80 chassis fully locked on 37's and it has an inside shower.

Where have you found data on 97 VIN numbers? What’s the highest 97 VIN do you think?
From MUD where else !!:) this is all I've read

I agree other than the alternator thing. I hate that alternator. (I'm still bitter from the last time I swapped it out... new years day, girlfriends birthday, walmart parkinglot in Houston, 18F out and sleeting)

When I took the 80 out for it's first trail day I was blown away. The thing just feels so much more planted. Factory shocks and springs and set of bigger Wrangler Duratracs... I took my built-ish 100 on the same trail the following weekend and was sad to say it was not nearly as comfy

Yes. The 2000+ alternator job (i believe they switched from 80a to 100a) is an absolute PITA. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Well...I probably would. haha.

Show me an international expedition vehicle using an IFS 100 series platform. There are some but rare. Maltec who arguably builds some of the best off road expedition vehicles in the world feels the 80 platform is the best. The latest creation pictured below built for the US market is built on 80 chassis fully locked on 37's and it has an inside shower.

View attachment 2002016
Phil.... WE NEED MOAR PICTURES. That thing makes me feel all fizzy.

Having driven 80's for the last seven years I feel like they require an awful lot more to make them as enjoyable as my 100 series. I really enjoyed blasting out to Moab this year at 75mph with the cruise on over the Rocky mountains. About the only thing I could hear other than my radio was the occasional whistling of some wind over the mirrors.

When it was off road time I just hit the button on the console for 2'' of lift and away we went. For the 3% of the trip that was spent off-road there were times when I would have preferred my 80 just because I didn't want to scratch the 100. However, the rig didn't miss a beat and was way more comfortable to drive the other 97% of the time.

For me the only way this becomes a close match is if the 80 series has the 4.7 and a750 transmission. Even then you are going to be hard pressed to get a suspension under it that will be anywhere near as versatile as a properly working AHC system.

I know that this topic has been covered many times but this may be a little different.

Backstory: I bought the 100 series about a year ago for a road trip through Baja. Since then my dad and I are drinking the land cruiser Kool-Aid. So a month ago when my friends family was selling the 80 series that they bought new in 97. We gave it a new home. By vin, we think it is one of the last 200 80's made. However no lockers!

The original plan was I was going to take the 80 as my adventure vehicle (ready for most anything - besides king of the hammers - mostly overlanding and trips like Baja - thinking Utah later this year ) and my dad was going to take the hundred as his retirement car.
This is where we want you guys opinion!

Do I continue building out the 100 series for an adventure vehicle or do I start over with the 80?

both of these were soccer mom cars that had some care before we bought them. Oops! But overall in pretty good shape.

What has been to them so far:

The 100 series:
2004 lx470
Miles: 167,XXX
Overall baselined
Timing belt was done.
Heater hoses and radiator done.
AHC removed with old man emu installed.
Both diffs and trans serviced
All four brakes done
BFG ko2 33's
Yellow box
Lou's hid conversion and high beams (awesome btw)
Dissent rack
ARB air compressor
Bluetooth added

The 80 series:
Miles: 163,XXX
97 collector edition.
Rear brakes done.
Steam cleaned inside and out. (Interior look like there were a few frat parties thrown in it.)

Planned maintenance so far:
Front end rebuild.
Transmission and diff service
The infamous heater hoses.
A new radiator and upgraded blue fan.
Fix oil leaks
New radio.
New headlights.
Cleaning up the interior some more BH3D cupholders on their way (the important stuff ;))

Pros of the cars in my mind:

80 series pros:
Solid front axle
A little rougher example than our 100 series.

100 series pros:
V8
A little more comfy on the road
More done to it so far.

Things I may want to do to the car I pick (excluding doing everything I did to the 100 to the 80 +/-):
Bumpers and sliders
Kiss drawers/ sleeping platform
Rear locker at least (still trying to figure out atrac v lockers)
Gullwing rear window
2nd battery

Over the last few days, we have gotten stuck in our debate on which one to continue to build out. All ideas welcome and anything else!

PS. Cross posting to 80 series forum to make sure to get both sides of the argument ;)

View attachment 2001625
The 80 is so much more durable than the 100 series ,that independent suspension can no way take the abuse that a solid axle 80 can. I highly regret selling my fzj80 and going to the 100 series . I should’ve kept our white LC and just dropped a V-8 into it.

First and foremost, Thank you all for your comments! You have given us even more ideas and confusion, in the best way possible!

But in all honestly keep them coming. We participate on a few auto forums (maybe too many) but mud is the best group we have found.

Thanks again! :cheers:👍

View attachment 2002016

Interesting build I looked at when for sale....sleeper Nice

LCP: that's why we are having trouble with the idea of my dad dding the 80 while continuing to build out the 100!

Yes, the Volvo is tooooooo much fun!

Neither.... FJ 105 FTW!

Toyota-Landcruiser-105-Series-Wagon-White-72809-3.jpg

If only we could get them in the USA easily! We don't have the fab skills for a SAS!

Having driven 80's for the last seven years I feel like they require an awful lot more to make them as enjoyable as my 100 series. I really enjoyed blasting out to Moab this year at 75mph with the cruise on over the Rocky mountains. About the only thing I could hear other than my radio was the occasional whistling of some wind over the mirrors.

When it was off road time I just hit the button on the console for 2'' of lift and away we went. For the 3% of the trip that was spent off-road there were times when I would have preferred my 80 just because I didn't want to scratch the 100. However, the rig didn't miss a beat and was way more comfortable to drive the other 97% of the time.

For me the only way this becomes a close match is if the 80 series has the 4.7 and a750 transmission. Even then you are going to be hard pressed to get a suspension under it that will be anywhere near as versatile as a properly working AHC system.

Yea, My thought process while reading everyone's comments is that the 100 is a better starting point if it is going to be a mild build. While the 80 is the better base if we want to do a more extreme build.

Both.... I DD my LX470 and play with my 80.

That was the Original plan - for my Dad to take the 100 as his DD but he really likes the 80.

Sell both and get a jeep

I think we are in the Landcruiser camp for good ;)

The 80 is so much more durable than the 100 series ,that independent suspension can no way take the abuse that a solid axle 80 can. I highly regret selling my fzj80 and going to the 100 series . I should’ve kept our white LC and just dropped a V-8 into it.

We are really trying to resist the urge to v8 swap right now!

100 is built a bit tougher in a lot of areas IMO. Frame is beefier for sure

100 is built a bit tougher in a lot of areas IMO. Frame is beefier for sure
FRAME IS BEEFIER ???? The 100 frame may look bigger but it's actually thinner and very prone to rusting. And lets not forget the nightmare that Toyota when through to replace all those Tundra frames, They're the same frame. If you crawl underneath my neighbors Tundra you'll shear you were under a 100, they both have the same problems. TOUGHER, THAT FUNNY !!!!

Last edited:
FRAME IS BEEFIER ???? The 100 frame may look bigger but it's actually thinner and very prone to rusting. And lets not forget the nightmare that Toyota when through to replace all those Tundra frames, They're the same frame. If you crawl underneath my neighbors Tundra you'll shear you were under a 100, they both have the same problems. TOUGHER, THAT FUNNY !!!!
Wrong.

Toyota upgraded the 100 series frame with more crossmembers and better design to suit the IFS. Also nothing even close to the tundra frame. But thanks for playing. We’re looking for facts here, not opinion.

Wrong.

Toyota upgraded the 100 series frame with more crossmembers and better design to suit the IFS. Also nothing even close to the tundra frame. But thanks for playing. We’re looking for facts here, not opinion.
WOW, Some one has drink the 100 KOOL-AID, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom