VSC OFF switch install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

subb

This is the easy/ghetto version. Obviously all credit to Odyseuss and LostAfrican.

I haven't quite made up my mind on my switch implementation, but that's the easy part and I wanted VSC off ASAP, so my mod focused on getting VSC disabled but leaving the door open for a switch install.

You can skip down to the pictures below.

1. Locate the connector, unplug, loosen tape to let me get at the wires. Locate #3, which was pink with a black stripe and grey bands.

2. Cut the wire, crimp on connectors. I used a male on signal in (top wire going into dash) and female on signal receive (bottom wire going into connector/ECU) because I think I'm funny and so that I could reconnect the cut wire if needed.

3. Ground was grabbed from the retainer screw LA mentioned and the corresponding connector put on it and then plugged directly into the ECU wire.

4. ECU #3 is grounded, VSC is disabled.

Connectors are in place and easily swapped out for a SPDT or even switch/relay or whatever I go with just by tapping the signal wire I left loose. I may just leave it like this. As someone else put it, VSC has tried to kill me more than it's tried to save me. Whether it's tire pressure, or bushings, or sensors, or bearings... these are all points of failure that I shouldn't have to monitor constantly. I've had VSC kick in while going 60mph on a curved slope and it's scary. Scary enough I've lost faith in the system and don't want to white-knuckle turns or have the wheel yanked out of my hands.

Hopefully this helps explain this excellent and useful mod for those who found the schematics daunting (like me) and needed the 'Basic' version. It took 10 very leisurely minutes. Probably could have done it in five if I didn't feel the need to walk around and cuss the cramped working space so often.

vsc_mod.jpg

Thank you for this. Great stuff that will benefit many for many years. Regarding the pink wire, if I simply wanted to just turn off vsc, would it work if I just skin it a little bit to expose the wires inside and connect this to the ground? In other words, if I didn't want to cut the pink wire but I just connect it to a ground, would this work to turn vsc off? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Thank you for this. Great stuff that will benefit many for many years. Regarding the pink wire, if I simply wanted to just turn off vsc, would it work if I just skin it a little bit to expose the wires inside and connect this to the ground? In other words, if I didn't want to cut the pink wire but I just connect it to a ground, would this work to turn vsc off? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

If you don't cut the wire and ground it separately from the center diff lock detection switch, then your diff lock indicator probably will not work correctly. I'm not certain if that would keep the vsc off reliably, and thats not how I would go about it. I realize that the first images don't make that very clear.

If you don't cut the wire and ground it separately from the center diff lock detection switch, then your diff lock indicator probably will not work correctly. I'm not certain if that would keep the vsc off reliably, and thats not how I would go about it. I realize that the first images don't make that very clear.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am attaching a pic here of a rocker switch that I got from ch4x4. If I may ask, where would the pink wire from the ecu connect? Where would the ground connect? And where would the other end of the cut pink wire connect? Obviously I am not electrically inclined so any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

C78F244B-5C9C-4C27-96D0-66AEF6FF1E54.jpeg

The switch in that diagram looks like a typical on-off switch. If you cut the pink wire and connect it to #2 and connect ground to #3 then you should be able to turn the vsc off. You would need a different switch with another position to connect the other side of the pink signal wire and turn the vsc back on. The other terminals are for lighting of the switch itself.

The switch in that diagram looks like a typical on-off switch. If you cut the pink wire and connect it to #2 and connect ground to #3 then you should be able to turn the vsc off. You would need a different switch with another position to connect the other side of the pink signal wire and turn the vsc back on. The other terminals are for lighting of the switch itself.
Thank you for your response. I’ll start working on this.

Thank you for your response. I’ll start working on this.
Ive been thinking about this. one side of the switch is off, the other side is just simply disconnected since the pink wire is cut. What is the status of the vsc in this case? It is neither on nor off...and would this have an effect on the car?

Ive been thinking about this. one side of the switch is off, the other side is just simply disconnected since the pink wire is cut. What is the status of the vsc in this case? It is neither on nor off...and would this have an effect on the car?

the original post mentions that " an open/OFF position which turns off the TRAC and VSC" is an option. In most case there is no need for it. If you just want to disable the VSC, you can cut the pink wire and connect it to ground. As others have mentioned, you dont need a switch to do that.

the original post mentions that " an open/OFF position which turns off the TRAC and VSC" is an option. In most case there is no need for it. If you just want to disable the VSC, you can cut the pink wire and connect it to ground. As others have mentioned, you dont need a switch to do that.
Thanks for all your help. I've disabled vsc successfully. I'm still unsure what the open position does to the vehicle or if I should be concerned if driving in open position. But for now, I am happy that vsc is off.

I was OK living with the occasional VSC beeping at me--but today it applied a front brake while going around a freeway cloverleaf. That's it--you only get one chance to try to throw me off the road. I grounded the wire as detailed above...not worried about adding a switch or anything.

This is sorta satisfying right now, but I might have to pull the bulb out of the cluster eventually. Maybe it'll burn out first--that would be nicely convenient. :D

Just had this put in by Jake at A Rusted Development. Haven't been able to properly test other than donuts in a dirt lot but it certainly did its job on that outing. Thank you for the write up, I think this is almost a required add-on for anyone who goes Part Time on the 100 series...

I'm confused on whether grounding that wire will disable the atrac. I have to kill the green blinking and alarm.
Will this work?

And it is very hard to rally slide / drift the 100 with vsc. My 99 was so much fun. The 04 is very much under nanny control on gravel roads.

Thank you for the write up. I need to get this done to my 04.

We have this off camber left hand turn on the way to Target and somehow I ALWAYS manage to get VSC to engage going just a bit to fast I guess and it beeps and sometimes tries to modulate the ABS on me. Argh!

I need to find out if it’s just enough of a tight turn and even at 20mph you steer a bit to quick and she hates you! I’m sure there is a yaw sensor somewhere that knows your off camber too.

Never does it going the opposite direction as now your banked to the right on a tight turn. Only does it off camber and left, lol...

Last edited:
I did this last night, grounded the pink black, left the bitter end going back in to the harness with tape on it.
It put my 2006 into a different tranny map. It acted like it was in 4 low, even though it wasn't.
I have a part time kit.
I did get out, lock the hubs, put it in 4 hi, and tried 4 low also and both times = same shift patterns and high revving shift points.
I had the vsc off light the whole time like it should have been. I double checked you guys were grounding the connector side of the EXI pink black wire from A43 position 3 to the detection switch.
I am guilty of not doing any research other than checking to see if the 06-07 had the same ECU numbers.
It wasn't high on my priority list, but now I want to find out.

I did connect it back together normally and went driving again, it was all back to normal.
probably not many guys doing this to an 06-07?

I was OK living with the occasional VSC beeping at me--but today it applied a front brake while going around a freeway cloverleaf. That's it--you only get one chance to try to throw me off the road. I grounded the wire as detailed above...not worried about adding a switch or anything.

This is sorta satisfying right now, but I might have to pull the bulb out of the cluster eventually. Maybe it'll burn out first--that would be nicely convenient. :D

Will doing this mod turn off the green beeping light that slams on the brakes for no reason?

Will doing this mod turn off the green beeping light that slams on the brakes for no reason?

Mine wasn't green I don't think...but assuming it's the same VSC system, yes this will prevent any future unwanted braking. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom