Pedal Commander or other throttle controller thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I originally had a sprint booster on my 2009 Sequoia (3.91 final drive) as compared to my 2007 Tundra (4.1 final drive) both with the 6 speed and it was slightly sluggish and shifts way to early and takes more effort on the pedal to downshift. The Tundra was perfect.

The original sprint booster had only 3 settings; Off, Sport & Race. I usually had it on Sport as Race was extremely aggressive. But I always felt neither was hitting the right spot.

My 2007 Tundra evolved over the years (Twin turbos and built everything) and I had to install both a standalone ECU and an aftermarket TCU from HGM (Compushift). It was my daily for the past year and this thing got me spoiled by both power and ability to adjust shifting points by RPM and throttle position.

Now with the '19 LC200 I am left completely unsatisfied with the throttle response and I find my self flooring the accelerator pedal to just get up to speed. I'm glad to see PC have a solution just for that with 36 settings. Sprint Booster also got a new version out with more than 3 settings at almost the same exact price. But since you guys found the sweet spot on the PC, I'm playing it safe and getting that. I'll be going to their dealer here in Abu Dhabi today and hopefully fix what Toyota has messed up.

I find the pedal to "jumpy" at tip in on my 2015 - does the pedal commander smooth the pedal response?

Just installed this as the first mod on my 200. As others have mentioned, the 16+ LCs seem a bit sluggish with the stock throttle mapping. Quick and easy install, and very easy to play around with once you download the app to your phone. Instant, noticeable difference. Finally feels like there is a 5.7 under the hood. Right now have it in City Mode +2. I'll see how my wife likes it there as this is her main vehicle.

I've had mine for about 2500km and here are a few observations:

1. The ECU keeps toning down the throttle response. Not sure if it's to keep mileage up but it definitely gets dull with time. When I first installed the PC I went straight ahead to Sport 3 as recommended but it was extremely sensitive. Sport 1 was actually perfect. A week later I increased it to Sport 2 and I'm currently at Sport 3 and I feel like I would like it at Sport 4 and probably will change it soon. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes should reset everything but its really not that big of a deal.

2. Always close the app properly if you're using Bluetooth. I changed the setting once and drove for 15 minutes and I noticed the truck didn't want to shift into 6th easily and was jerking as if there was an issue with the transmission or valve body. Next start up it was fine. Happened again when I used the app again and noticed the app was saying it couldn't connect to the PC after awhile. I force closed the app and reconnected and quit the app properly and the truck went back to normal.

Shameless thread resurrection, sold the 2018 so the Commander is up for sale. Pedal Commander for sale

Very useful addition to the truck. It was interesting to drive the truck one last time after removing it, definitely felt sluggish by comparison, and I only used "City 2" as a setting.

Had one of those devices and is totally useless and quickly returned it. It just remaps pedal travel and doesn't deliver anything above 100%. Depending on the setting chosen you just need to press a percentage of pedal to achieve +2x increase. If you are using full pedal travel it is useless (example 50-100% pedal push is still 100%). If you don't full pedal travel or don't have seat properly positioned definitely helps. Personally find it dangerous as you are loosing control of gas pedal. Using the system the truck is not faster, it just reacts quicker as it floors it for you. If you floor it or press pedal further you will get the same.
Worth reading before you buy it. Too bad I didn't read this before buying and further research of my observations found this review,

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here - but does anyone who is happy with the PC find that they still use the ECT power setting, or generally leave that off? Thanks all.

I put one on the wife’s ‘16 LC and one on my ‘13 LC last week.

First installed one on the ‘13. Put it on and had to run out to pick up dinner before setting it. For some reason it defaulted to the Sport+ mode and it was like the Whiplash Commander. It was downright unpleasant. I later dialed it down to Sport 2+ and that seemed about right. On the ‘13 it’s beneficial for accelerating onto the highway and passing. Would not go so far as to say it’s more “fun,” because I was generally satisfied with the ‘13’s acceleration and I don’t drive that aggressively. Not sure if I’m keeping it yet.

For the ‘16 it’s like a component that Toyota forgot to put on at the factory. I installed it and drove on a hilly road with stop signs in the Sport 2+ mode. There was a significant improvement in acceleration from stops, up hill, on the flat, and basically all ranges. I then turned off the PC and drove back and likewise ran the LC through its paces. Without the PC it felt like a few cylinders were out or that I was accelerating an undepowered yacht.

It will be staying on the ‘16
Following up on my install post from 19 months ago:

Started having some throttle issues on my '13 last week. Pretty abruptly, I started having to push the gas pedal almost 2 inches before getting some acceleration, then when accelerating from slow speeds it behaved like it was in Sport++ (whiplash) mode. Overall, very erratic throttle behavior. Miserable to drive. About 8 weeks ago the Pedal Commander changed modes on its own, requiring me to reprogram it. Anyway, I removed it today and all is well. Frankly, I never thought it offered much on the '13.

The Pedal Commander on my '16 is still working well, fortunately. I feel that that the throttle mapping (acceleration) on the '16 is very poor, so I still believe it benefits that truck. Hopefully, it will last.

Just got into a 2021 LC. Put in a Pedal Commander - this definitely makes a drastic change in throttle response (which is the point!) and the install took 5 minutes. I've settled on Sport 1 to see how that works for me. Don't see how this can have anything but a negative effect on gas mileage, but I'll keep a watch on it.

Seth
'21 LC

Installed PC on my 2018 200. Have tried it on Sport Mode +2 amd +3. I'll continue to play around with settings but so far a huge improvement over stock. Could be my imagination but it seems smoother on radar/cruise, particularly on downhills. So far very pleased.

Bumping an old thread...

I had bought this for my Sequoia after all the reviews here for the LC and I liked it well enough. I also seemed to get an MPG boost.

I haven't put it in the LX yet. I saw a few 16+ LX owners in here installed it, but not much feedback on it or what settings are being used.

So, looking for any 16+ LX owners with the PC27, if they have tried it, what setting they use, and if they like it.

Bumping an old thread...

I had bought this for my Sequoia after all the reviews here for the LC and I liked it well enough. I also seemed to get an MPG boost.

I haven't put it in the LX yet. I saw a few 16+ LX owners in here installed it, but not much feedback on it or what settings are being used.

So, looking for any 16+ LX owners with the PC27, if they have tried it, what setting they use, and if they like it.
Tacky to quote my own post...

But I thought I would leave a note in case anyone else was looking for info.

I just checked Amazon, and they still list the PC27 as the correct one for the LX but...

I just installed it, and though it was physically compatible, on start up the vehicle threw all kinds of codes. Throttle, pre-collision, etc. Check engine light stayed on, the works. It is possible it needs an update, but I decided not to mess with it and immediately uninstalled.

EDIT: Damn it, I am stupid. This was probably operator error. RTFM and all that. I didn't follow the procedure with the FOB and that probably caused the issue. Oh well, will try again another day. :bang:

Last edited:
Installed the PC27 on my '21 LC - night and day difference in throttle response and so much more fun to drive. I've got it set on Sport +3 which seems to be perfect for my kind of driving. Well worth the money IMO.

I thought I would update.

Got it installed on my 17 LX, no issues after leaving it alone away from the FOB for awhile before install.

I think the throttle response is already better on the LX than the LC perhaps.

ECO was too sluggish. Sport was WAY too twitchy. I didn't even try Sport+

I settled in on City +1 and like it.

I thought I would update.

Got it installed on my 17 LX, no issues after leaving it alone away from the FOB for awhile before install.

I think the throttle response is already better on the LX than the LC perhaps.

ECO was too sluggish. Sport was WAY too twitchy. I didn't even try Sport+

I settled in on City +1 and like it.

Any MPG difference?

Any MPG difference?
I am not sure if I will ever be able to tell. With this same unit set to similar settings in my Sequoia, I saw nearly a full mpg improvement.

But I changed from 21" highway tires on the LX to 18" AT E-rated tires around the same time as I installed the PC, which should give me worse mileage. With my driving habits no longer consistent from commuting, I've yet to even learn a typical tank.

I am not sure if I will ever be able to tell. With this same unit set to similar settings in my Sequoia, I saw nearly a full mpg improvement.

But I changed from 21" highway tires on the LX to 18" AT E-rated tires around the same time as I installed the PC, which should give me worse mileage. With my driving habits no longer consistent from commuting, I've yet to even learn a typical tank.
Is it worth doing this on 15 LC? Haven’t seen enough good feedback as opposed to the 16+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom