Waze/CarPlay workaround / screen mirroring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know a lot of people really like Waze and are sad that there’s no Apple CarPlay. For the 16-+ there is the following option. I’m going to try it with my LX to get GAIA etc up on the screen.

Last edited:
Considering the cost of the Beat-Sonic solution, I'd look at an android based tablet to replace the complete dash unit and create a Tesla style user interface for your cruiser. Much more flexible and no more fiddling with phones and other external connections....
Toyota in the UAE is actually offering a system like this as a dealer fitted option on new vehicles.

I've looked at making this conversion but never went ahead with it. The link below is to one of many similar offerings on Aliexpress, no endorsement implied in any way!

Thanks for the link. I've seen a few others going this route, especially on the LC200 Facebook pages. I am pretty happy with the giant screen I have in the LX. Just being able to mirror my iPhone would be enough, and then I really do not lose of any of the factory setup/electronics, which are under warranty for the next 9 years..

I would prefer an option where I can actually use the touchscreen to control the device like the Grom V-Line. I believe someone posted a similar product for the 2013+ model 200s. Putting my phone on a magnet mount in the CD gives me better functionality and a screen that isn't much smaller and much better resolution with my S10 plus. I can keep the touchscreen on climate and use my phone for everything else...

I watch the video beatsonic video and it's say LC200 compatible from 2013-2018. Anyone run this on a 2013 or newer LC200?

I'm happy with the beatsonic kit I installed in my 2013 LC. As the source I wired an apple TV for direct 12V and mounted it in the void behind the screen. This has worked pretty well. Its main draw is that it allows wireless iphone mirroring.

My main goal was similar - mirror the phone to get Gaia and Waze on the main screen, but have ended up just using both on an ipad mounted to one of those RAM mount flex rods that attaches to the passenger seat bracket. The resolution and contrast are just so much better on the ipad, not to mention the ability to directly interact with it.

The setup definitely gets the most use by the kids on long road trips. I got one of these: My Passport Wireless Pro - Portable Hard Drive | WD as it runs a wireless access point and a standalone Plex server. It took a bit of monkeying around with accounts/settings but I've got the apple tv plex app talking to the portable drive when neither is connected to the internet. This is a nice way to serve up stored videos for the kids with an easy to use interface.

Problem with Tesla type system when you ask sellers is not being compatible with the JBL sound system. I have tried different approach and bought LSAILT android interface which lets you utilize factory screen. It really works but had other issues I couldn't resolve through their support so it went back. Issues were sound and through updates fix that, native system touch was having issues. Since I want Waze and we cannot get Tesla screen in US to work I am as well leading toward beat sonic solution.

I'm happy with the beatsonic kit I installed in my 2013 LC. As the source I wired an apple TV for direct 12V and mounted it in the void behind the screen. This has worked pretty well. Its main draw is that it allows wireless iphone mirroring.

My main goal was similar - mirror the phone to get Gaia and Waze on the main screen, but have ended up just using both on an ipad mounted to one of those RAM mount flex rods that attaches to the passenger seat bracket. The resolution and contrast are just so much better on the ipad, not to mention the ability to directly interact with it.

The setup definitely gets the most use by the kids on long road trips. I got one of these: My Passport Wireless Pro - Portable Hard Drive | WD as it runs a wireless access point and a standalone Plex server. It took a bit of monkeying around with accounts/settings but I've got the apple tv plex app talking to the portable drive when neither is connected to the internet. This is a nice way to serve up stored videos for the kids with an easy to use interface.

Do you have any pics of this in action? Curious what the resolution looks like on the head unit.

Does anyone happen to know if the "Telsa" of smaller android type setups could be used to run an aftermarket amplifier / speakers to solve the JBL interface issue but still manage the integrated HVAC controls?

Does anyone happen to know if the "Telsa" of smaller android type setups could be used to run an aftermarket amplifier / speakers to solve the JBL interface issue but still manage the integrated HVAC controls?

No sure, but on other vehicles with JBL, I've been able to put an inline signal reducer to allow the signal to work with a JBL amp. Not sure if that would work here. The fact that you have to wait 30 seconds plus for the Tesla style radios to boot (including use of backup camera, etc.) is a deal killer for me.

No sure, but on other vehicles with JBL, I've been able to put an inline signal reducer to allow the signal to work with a JBL amp. Not sure if that would work here. The fact that you have to wait 30 seconds plus for the Tesla style radios to boot (including use of backup camera, etc.) is a deal killer for me.

Fair,
my preference would be to strip the HVAC out of the head unit so that an aftermarket headunit from Alpine / Pioneer / etc could be used but it seems that is quite an undertaking in both time and $.

Fair,
my preference would be to strip the HVAC out of the head unit so that an aftermarket headunit from Alpine / Pioneer / etc could be used but it seems that is quite an undertaking in both time and $.

Yeah, I looked at that too, but after seeing another members write up, it just wasn't worth the cost and effort for me. Magnet phone mount FTW.

Here's some pics showing the output from the beatsonic setup via apple tv / mirroring.

This is a 2013 so the screen is smaller (I believe) than the facelift versions. Not sure if the actual resolution is much different, but I presume the composite video converter from the beatsonic kit is a limiting factor there.

Waze (mirrored from iPhone):

Gaia (mirrored from iPhone):

Apple TV home screen:

Plex UI (apple tv):

Hope that helps. If there's anything else that somebody wants to see, LMK...

I know a lot of people really like Waze and are sad that there’s no Apple CarPlay. For the 16-+ there is the following option. I’m going to try it with my LX to get GAIA etc up on the screen.

Have you looked into this?

They state it only works for the '16 & '17 and are working on one for the 18+

I hadn’t seen that. It’s twice the cost though. You do add the HDMI quality but does not include the NAV lockout override and ability to watch movies on the front screen while in motion, as you get with the Beatsonic set up.

I hadn’t seen that. It’s twice the cost though. You do add the HDMI quality but does not include the NAV lockout override and ability to watch movies on the front screen while in motion, as you get with the Beatsonic set up.

From what I gather Beat Sonic is just a screen mirroring device and this actually adds apple/android CarPlay to the factory head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom