New FJ owner need lift advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've recently purchased a stock 2008 FJ cruiser and want to bring the front end up to level height but do not want to do it with spacer. I want to do this without sacrificing ride hopefully making it even smoother if possible but will be modifying it with front bumper and winch adding extra weight to the front. I will be putting a steel skid plate underneath replacing the stock plate. The only other weight I may add would be very minimal with ladder on back I do very little off-road so it is mainly for looks. I know it may be questions that I should know but I am a complete newbie and want advice from people who know and will overlook the fact that I am just clueless on how to do it. Also if I decided to replace the 275s on it with 285s would that be possible without scrubbing inside the fenders. Thank you for any advice that is given and I'm glad I found this forum to be able to get advice on my new cruiser

Dont know about your lift question but to answer your second

I have 285/75/16 KO2 on stock wheels, stock truck, no rubbing, looks and works perfectly

Easiest way is Bilstein 5100s, 3rd notch. Does retain the use of the OEM springs. I found it rode no different than stock.

Really depends on your bumper choice if 5100s will be okay or not. Thinking one of those 90 lb. bumpers with no winch? Probably no big deal. An ARB with a winch? You 'gon need some support for that. Heavier springs. You CAN, once the bumper is added, buy some new heavier springs and put them on the same 5100s (but probably back to 1st notch). Downside there is disassembly, reassembly, and another alignment. Again, this all depends on how much weight you plan to add.

As ryan said, 285s should fit fine with no rubbing. You should, at your alignment, tell them to get as much positive caster as they possibly can. This pulls the wheels as far forward as the LCAs allows and keeps them away from the body mounts / better driveability.

Easiest way is Bilstein 5100s, 3rd notch. Does retain the use of the OEM springs. I found it rode no different than stock.

Really depends on your bumper choice if 5100s will be okay or not. Thinking one of those 90 lb. bumpers with no winch? Probably no big deal. An ARB with a winch? You 'gon need some support for that. Heavier springs. You CAN, once the bumper is added, buy some new heavier springs and put them on the same 5100s (but probably back to 1st notch). Downside there is disassembly, reassembly, and another alignment. Again, this all depends on how much weight you plan to add.

As ryan said, 285s should fit fine with no rubbing. You should, at your alignment, tell them to get as much positive caster as they possibly can. This pulls the wheels as far forward as the LCAs allows and keeps them away from the body mounts / better driveability.

Thanks

I was hoping blistein had a shock that would work but will it be possible to run 5100s on front and rear or is there a better combo for the rear with 5100s on front. Thank you for replying back I'm wanting to do this right away. The winch I'm going to use is coming off of another FJ and looks to be by my guess a heavier duty with electric options on it. If I remember correctly it's a smitty bilt

Yes. they sell 5100s for front and rear. The fronts are struts, with the adjustable spring perches (which is what give you the ability to level it). The rears are just normal shocks...no change in lift whatsoever.

When you add the bumper and winch you will likely want to get some heavier springs.

How fun it is. Good luck with your work and post up pics. I had this fun in 2012 when I got my 2012 TTSE. I added an ARB 120lb bullbar and Smittybilt 80lb winch. I drove around for a week looking like I was begging!!! I made a note that the front bumper was 11/2 inches lower than stock. I added spacers to level the truck while I figured out what I wanted next. The leveling kit worked fine for years until I wore out the factory BFG's. I retained the stock suspension at that time too. I decided on KM2's ( 285's) and Walker-Evans suspension at all 4 corners. What a difference, especially off road. The W-E are great and individually adjustable to perfectly level the FJ not just front and rear but left and right. Did the bmc and now am waiting for these KM2's to wear out ( 50k on the stock BFG's, and 30k so far on these KM2's) I may be waiting a while, they wear out slowly, which is great really. Looking at going up a size or 2 and using KM3's next year. I get free rotations at Les Schwab and the alignment has held except for one incident, oops. Post your pics when you can, looking forward to seeing your ride.

DSC_0079.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom