The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mantles are fine in normal use, but are essentially just solidified ash. It won't survive the shipping. However, replacements are inexpensive.

These are slightly radioactive, aka “dangerous”, so very high on the street cred meter. They also hold up better bouncing around in a truck on weeks-long camping trips than current issue Coleman mantles.

Probably a stupid question, but this is my first lantern. How will the mantle survive bouncing around in the back of my 40 if it probably won't survive shipping to me? Or should I always carry a whole pack of spare mantles when I go camping and possibly have to put on a new one every night? And it sounds like I should stick to the cool peerless radioactive ones for street cred and because they're a little more durable?

Yes, carry spare mantles. Store the lantern upright in its case and it will be fine. In shipping it gets laid on its side, kicked around, tossed, etc.

I won't have a case for this 200a that's coming in the mail, and I was planning on storing it inside my 426.

Mantles are a bit fragile but so what? They are cheap and easy to replace. I tend to replace 1 mantle per trip, though just did 12 days with the same mantle, lantern stored on it's side inside my 426.

As promised here are a few finished pics of the 242C I recently acquired. I left a lot of the patina on this one because of it being a painted fount. Didn’t really want bright shiny brass and steel with the aged paint. Burns really strong and bright.

647C7AEE-63F7-4E48-8E90-73142B695952.jpeg

9FAB8F9E-7616-4B85-8295-0646F34B3B5B.jpeg

C1A98E9A-D81D-4BB8-9DB8-93E6AE7302AD.jpeg

And one more with his shiny brother.

E7AA28D9-F8FC-4D46-8E35-034A5AFAADBA.jpeg

Forgot to take any before pics but I picked up this Canada made 200 yesterday evening. Build date is 4-58. Disassembled, cleaned and back together today but ran out of time before more rain hit to try and light it. Hopefully try tomorrow.

A1C2CAA0-0939-4464-B952-F6CEE2CD4950.jpeg

7CAB2B9F-B935-4114-9EC5-608D7923E8DD.jpeg

863FF29D-C8FA-4563-816E-0FC86C874F3F.jpeg

Those little lanterns are cool. I have maybe the first one 222 in silver. I have to figure out a way to make the mantle survive while it's in the motorcycle saddle bag.

Yeah on the first fire this stove seemed to hold a really low simmer even without a pot. I think this will be my go to on solo trips. I don't have another little stove that will simmer.

Have been keeping my eyes open for one of these for a while. One popped up about a hour and a half away yesterday and a big thanks to @JohnVee for grabbing it and dropping it off on his way through during his travels. In decent shape, with the original globe. Will try and fire it this evening then go from there with the tear down and cleanup.

4F9F6C93-73D2-45F7-A193-549B1D117313.jpeg

Scored this this morning. My first Peak 1 stove. Fuel and oil in the pump and it fired right up.

View attachment 1998617
got mine in the truck at all times... got it new in 1987 or 88 as a Christmas gift from my uncle. the impatient kid in me didn't get how to use it correctly back then, but I know now! Mine predates yous a bit as it does not have the lightening holes in the feet...

Man those are sweet. I just picked up the lantern last week. Sadly I put it on eBay to fund other lantern purchases.

View attachment 1998649
Oh man! I WANT IT... this was the piece I didn't get... I had to get a POS optimus propane bug light! those dang tanks are heavy... If you haven't sold it yet, HMU?

Oh man! I WANT IT... this was the piece I didn't get... I had to get a POS optimus propane bug light! those dang tanks are heavy... If you haven't sold it yet, HMU?

I wish I would have known. It’s on eBay now but the auction is still active. I think it’s got a little over a day left.

Please don’t take that as I’m trying to drum up eBay business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom