Yeller Gold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How’s that diff build coming along?
Nothing new yet, getting kids to scouts activities and yard work, decided I should strip the 3rd from the front axle as well before deciding which one to use in the f/r of the new axles.
Gotta search up the video I had seen on the quick way to get the front apart, I’m tying to leave the stock 55 axles somewhat intact so I can store them up on a rack. (Never seem to throw anything out :meh:)

I remember someone saying the fronts usually have a fraction of the miles on them that the rears do. So you can swap front to rear, rebuild the rear third and then stab that back in the front...
That’s exactly the plan :)

Shop time before dinner, got the front driveshaft out (the PO had crappy grade 3 imperial hardware on one end:() started getting everything loose so I can pop the knuckles and salvage the 3rd.

Tiny leak past the front pinion nut, not as bad as rear.
318D0490-4DD7-4F77-9573-BB4325940454.jpeg

I wonder how long ago we still made shocks in Canada
E5B23AF8-37F6-433F-AB47-F796775B18C7.jpeg

Gotta pull pretty much all of this out to do the 62 axle and power steering
3E5930B6-4EB2-4C0A-9BD9-E7AAC346241C.jpeg

More progress today, pulled both knuckles off before lunch and got the 3rd loose to drain it (drain plug has been peened by rocks) so s-l-o-w coming out so I fixed lunch and came back...
0106DE35-CE53-4320-8755-56164E2AB5F7.jpeg

Got the 3rd out, nasty soup!
3835F6CD-E416-4A0A-964A-6ED320525565.jpeg

5810E209-95F6-4D4A-A63E-A1F112341C3D.jpeg

And reinstalled the knuckles for storage, both stock axles are going up for storage, rather than thrown out, also plan to keep most of the stock steering etc I remove.

9DA183AD-8DAD-49A7-A38B-916DD17A4260.jpeg

Like to hear comments on these U bolt savers...worth buying? Maybe build them (look straight forward) or skip them? I’ll need something for at least the front.

Also still need to source a local rear 60 axle.

I keep wanting to do rear disks with Toyota parts (4R) but what does the Sty say about the common Chevy kits...or keeping with 60 series drums (which I’m hesitant because I will need to buy most of the brake parts regardless, rusted out backing plates are common problem too)

Thanks in advance :hmm:

Those skids are probably a cheaper way to go than the u-bolt flip kits I got from Man-A-Fre back in the day. Still have mine and have always loved them. Personally, I’d recommend saving a little more money and going with the u-bolt flip kits, if you can find any. I’ll look around some also. I know Dave at 4Plus makes 60 series flip kits, but they’re meant to sit on top of the factory u-bolt guides that the 60 axles have. For some reason, the idea of scarfing those things off and mounting to the axle housing seems more appealing.

I had been advised not to do the u bolt flip when I bought my springs, I think @scrapdaddy had issues with them too? At any rate I’m building more for gravel travel than crawling, but need plates for the front 60 axle...

I tried both flip kits and the homemade skid plates, but my issue was with the dreaded "strecthy nuts ". My u bolt nuts constantly loosened until I went with 5/8" bolts and heavyduty nuts.

How about front pumpkin protection?

I'm with Rush, WHY?
Just a now is the time kinda deal, axle is apart and it looks like I’m ordering ruffstuff bits...certainly not a need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom