AOAA June 8th (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d be interested in joining! What time are we meeting up?

In the lot by 8:30, register, air down, on the trails by 9:00.

Fill out the online waiver ahead of time here

If this turns into a no go, please text me. Otherwise I'm heading out at 6am.

If we decide to swap it to Rausch since it's closer, please do the same.

I will try and confirm. With Andy before I head out in the morning.

I need to go into work tomorrow. I’m out unfortunately

What a great day ... Anthracite was amazing and the people were great as usual Andy, John (and his wife whose name I forgot because I'm a sh!tty person) and Gary as our spotter. Just the right mix of chill trails, moderately difficult rock gardens and a full pucker trail or two. I've never had to fold my mirrors in so many times as today and clipped each side once ... trails are NOT fat girl or long wheelbase friendly as Andy sipped a latte as usual and John and I were dodging trees all day :flipoff2:

My mother-in-law decided to stop over (sweet :() so I can post a few pics as I sip some moonshine and follow up with videos tomorrow. I will leave the real write-up to Gary, as I have zero idea what trails we did or where I was all day other than just follow Andy and try not to fall behind.

Not many pics from the day since it was a small group and most of the day I was chicken gripping the steering wheel like it was my job.

Gary warned me the hard part was coming ... I kinda thought he was kidding ... he wasn't
20190608_102331[1].jpg

20190608_102753[1].jpg

Before today the scariest thing I had ever seen on a trail was Andy using reverse. I knew things were getting real when even he needed to winch out of this.
20190608_103133[1].jpg

Take notice of the tree just in front of the drivers side of Andy's truck ...

So then it was my turn and I was a combination of freaking out and not being familiar enough with the winch to use it properly ... awesome.

Houston .. we have a problem. Gary was super reassuring, bit I was fairly certain I was going to plant on my side.
20190608_104122[1].jpg

Full pucker ... view from inside the truck
20190608_104108[1].jpg

Andy to the rescue as my security blanket to make sure I don't park on my side. I'm hooked to a tree and Andy hooked to the slider and then the front bumper.
20190608_104834[1].jpg

... and here is where me not knowing my equipment well enough made things more difficult. My winch is wireless remote, so it shut off while Andy was hooking me up and when Gary told me to winch and drive out the remote had timed out and shut off, so I just drove right into a ~30" flat wall :censor: There is a nice video of this stupidity coming.
20190608_104827[1].jpg

Last edited:
I would like to think that I helped @Stairgod see the easy line (I didn't). he did this in ~5 mins where I was stuck for ~20. He seemed to enjoy the tiltyness too and his wife didn't mind either ... clearly they are well matched as a couple, pretty sure my wife gets out and walks home at this point.

20190608_110308[1].jpg

20190608_110317[1].jpg

Notice how he turns through the obstacle like Andy did and does't plow into it like I did.
20190608_110329[1].jpg

He made it look super simple. Lesson learned .. kinda, still wigs me out being tilty.
20190608_110422[1].jpg

Kinda hard to see here, but if you look close you will see the small tree(s) just to the left of his rear bumper that needed to be cut down to get me out of the hole. If not for all their help today I would still be sitting in that spot.

One last poser shot that shows the benefit of not having to lead on trails. This was a laid back trail until this large dropoff that you couldn't see until you were on it. Andy handled it like a champ and we got the benefit of knowing it got steep quick before falling into it.
20190608_132722[1].jpg

*** missed my personal trail guide @VBRoamer today ... Vince is my security blanket as he handles obstacles like they are no big deal and he's seen them all before.

Almost forgot .... this will now be known as Andy's convertible top condom. Please refer to it as such any time you see him using it ... you're welcome Andy!! I may have had a bit too much moonshine at this point.

Screenshot_20190608-193255_Gallery[1].jpg

Last edited:
Why does it double post everything when you edit????

Just realized Andy's help pull on the front bumper was not right. It shough have been attached through the loop to make it tight 😵

Just realized Andy's help pull on the front bumper was not right. It shough have been attached through the loop to make it tight 😵
Not sure what you are referring to. My soft shackle was through the shackle mount. In general I prefer to hook up to those as more than likely the bumper designer has that area built for pulling loads.

Great day today!

Very familiar with that muddy hole you guys had to winch through.

Looks like I missed a good time...

Looks fun! Thanks for sharing.

I saw @VBRoamer truck this morning at the salon. Looked like things were creeping into a full makeover. Hopefully it won’t be too pretty for trail use when done!

Looks fun! Thanks for sharing.

I saw @VBRoamer truck this morning at the salon. Looked like things were creeping into a full makeover. Hopefully it won’t be too pretty for trail use when done!

Vince won't care, it’s built for the trails!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom