I impulse bought my first LC 80 ...and I'm already regretting it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 409 trick is the bee's knees on old shabby window tint.

For the stink...
Vodka in a spray bottle
spray down all cloth surfaces
Roll up the windows and park it in the sun a couple days.

My wife ran a used car lot for years, this was the best method they found to remove smell
This WORKS! Thanks Stan.
My father purchased a F150 from a HEAVY smoker and you could taste the stench in the truck. I told my father about the vodka trick but he didn't believe me. Fast forward two years and I had to borrow the truck to move. In hot humid weather the thick smell of smoke was even more noxious. I couldn't take it any more and purchased a bottle of the finest $6 vodka. I emptied the entire fifth in a spray bottle and sprayed down the entire interior: glass, dash, seats, headliner, radio, etc. After two days in the heat, the smell was reduced by 80% so I purchased another bottle. After the second treatment, 98% of the smell was gone. For more than 4 years my dad and mom had to deal with the smell and countless car deodorizing sprays, powders, and air fresheners. $12 of liquor fixed it up.

Sorry so long
TL;DR vodka in spray bottle, spray everything, smell gone

Can't you register it in CA as non-op and not worry about it for a bit? As far as the front wipers and rebuilding the front end the kit from Cruiser Outfitters is fine. If I remember the marlin crawler axle seal has been known to leak in the 80 series.

Why haven't you checked the codes yet? The OBD1 will tell you what they are. At any rate you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Also replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes.

For the stink...
Vodka in a spray bottle
spray down all cloth surfaces
Roll up the windows and park it in the sun a couple days.

My wife ran a used car lot for years, this was the best method they found to remove smell

This WORKS! Thanks Stan.

Thanks guys!!! I'm stoked to try this!

Why haven't you checked the codes yet? The OBD1 will tell you what they are. At any rate you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Also replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes.

If you read my original post, I listed the codes right from the start: 25, 26, 28. I searched and a lot of people said that these sensors don't go quick, so by the time the CEL pops, they are long gone. So, I figured I might as well change them both and ordered new o2 sensors. I just got them tonight! I'll install them tomorrow and clear the CEL and check it again.

ETA: to your second note.... that's smart actually, I hadn't even thought about simply bleeding the brakes. Who knows if the PO knew how to properly do it. It won't cost me a dime and I can do it in a few minutes. Thanks for that!!

This thread title sounds like a great start to a long and successful build thread.

To remove the tint get some 409 cleaner and a black garbage bag. Spray the tint with the 409 and cut the plastic garbage bag to roughly the size of the window and stick it on top of the 409. Leave it in the sun 15 mins then peel the tint off in one piece and hardly have any residue to scrape.

Tell me more about this cleaner. Wondering what the Aussie equivalent is, I could use this trick.

ETA: to your second note.... that's smart actually, I hadn't even thought about simply bleeding the brakes. Who knows if the PO knew how to properly do it. It won't cost me a dime and I can do it in a few minutes. Thanks for that!!

Definitely bleed brakes, cost nothing, but don't expect to do it in five minutes.
Do a search, bleeding brakes on an 80 is a bit tricky because of the LSPV

Thanks!! Yes, I heard this the other day and was wondering what it was! And, I will definitely look into the rod.

Thanks! .....and, oh, don't worry, no one touches my vehicles except me (aside from gears. I don't mess with gears haha).

WOW, this is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much for this info!

If you knew how stressful nursing school is, I promise you'd realize that this is 100% not click bait. I'm so overwhelmed with school, hospital rotations and the stuff I need to finish on my other projects that adding this new problem to the whole equation was the last thing I needed.... which is why I'm so grateful for everyone's responses!
Sounds like you need to practice self control

Thanks guys!!! I'm stoked to try this!

If you read my original post, I listed the codes right from the start: 25, 26, 28. I searched and a lot of people said that these sensors don't go quick, so by the time the CEL pops, they are long gone. So, I figured I might as well change them both and ordered new o2 sensors. I just got them tonight! I'll install them tomorrow and clear the CEL and check it again.

My bad I didn’t see where you posted them. I believe you can still order denso o2 sensors, I have two of them I’m waiting to install - it doesn’t look like it will be possible to remove my old ones. Definitely try the brake fluid and bleed, my brakes were really bad until I replaced the front brakes and bled them, still haven’t touched the rears. I have a “build thread” you might want to check out for 3F-E info and to make you feel better about your own land cruiser because mine was a lot worse when I got it, lol...0

Definitely bleed brakes, cost nothing, but don't expect to do it in five minutes.

I wasn't aware of the LSPV, so thanks for that info!

Sounds like you need to practice self control

Ha! I mean, don't we all? I actually have pretty good self control on most things, but, like all humans, I have a weak spot... and projects are definitely one of them. I haven't owned a TV for almost a decade, so I like to fill my free time with things to do.

Ha! I mean, don't we all? I actually have pretty good self control on most things, but, like all humans, I have a weak spot... and projects are definitely one of them. I haven't owned a TV for almost a decade, so I like to fill my free time with things to do.

Don’t worry you did the right thing by buying an FJ80 :) you’ll be pulling your hair out for a while but keep reading on the forums and don’t get too discouraged. Just take it step by step and get the best quality parts possible and you’ll be fine.

Can't you register it in CA as non-op and not worry about it for a bit? As far as the front wipers and rebuilding the front end the kit from Cruiser Outfitters is fine. If I remember the marlin crawler axle seal has been known to leak in the 80 series.
IF he non-ops it it has to come off the street or they will tow it alway

I did the marlin kit and the inner seals started leaking pretty quickly after install. Nice kit otherwise.

Got the water pump yesterday... are these marks normal? I'm assuming it's a Toyota remanufactured unit that they ground the original ID marks off, just wondering if that's pretty common.

Also... what's the best practice with the paper gasket? Use it? Toss it and use RTV? Or use it with RTV?

48030578296_cfe58c7182_z.jpg

48030683427_cc737b7eee_z.jpg

Last edited:
Got the water pump yesterday... are these marks normal? I'm assuming it's a Toyota remanufactured unit that they ground the original ID marks off, just wondering if that's pretty common.

Also... what's the best practice with the paper gasket? Use it? Toss it and use RTV? Or use it with RTV?

48030578296_cfe58c7182_z.jpg

48030683427_cc737b7eee_z.jpg

Getting one with grinding marks is totally normal. Removed casting stamps as you said.

Id use paper gasket only personally. Otherwise paper or rtv, not both.

Last edited:
The PO had used some sort of RTV on mine before I got it. When doing a radiator flush I had red/orange rubber RTV material flushing through the cooling system. They clearly used too much and I stuck with the paper gasket when replacing the pump during a cooling system overhaul.

Good news!! So CA, bless her heart, gives us a 30 day temp to pass smog. I didn't realize this, because I've never had this issue before. So that buys me some more time! I think I can even request one more extension (should have clarified that before I left). Got into the weeds with the water pump. Holy cow, I didn't realize this job was such a bear on the 3FE. Had to remove so much stuff, and had to cut off several clamps (these factory ones suck when they're corroded!) and hoses. So now I have to figure out where to get those from.

So I was going through the old receipts, and it looks like the PO has a complete brake flush back in December. So I'm really banking that the shop didn't know about the LSPV (still haven't look it up myself) and just bleed them wrong. That would be amazing. Otherwise rebuild or new unit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom