Is there a clever way to hold teh flywheel from moving when tightening/torqueing bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
First time replacing a flywheel or a clutch, I managed to get things done buy wedging a piece of wood with one hand while torquing with the other , and it was a huge pain.

Then when tightening my brand new from LC engineering bolts for the pressure place to 14ft/lbs, one broke off in the hole (bah!) , so now i get to take it all apart and start over from scratch. (I have reverse twist drill bits for removing the broken bolt)

I'm hoping for a method to keep the engine from turning when i tighten the bolts that leaves both hands free to torque the nuts.

Anyone one got recommendations, or better yet photos?

Thanks,

Cal-

Socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and put the end of the breaker bar against the frame rail.

Last edited:
Socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and put the end of the breaker bar against the frame rail.

This is what I always did. Worked well, very easy. Just don't forget to take it back off before starting the engine!

This is what I always did. Worked well, very easy. Just don't forget to take it back off before starting the engine!
Would you like to tell us how you know that? :rofl:

Would you like to tell us how you know that? :rofl:

You know that clicky sound your 1/2" ratchet wrench makes when you spin it? Now imagine that sustained at about 2000 rpm. And you're walking around the running truck saying "what the heck is that noise?"

That's how I know. Fortunately the wrench survived the ride.

That's how I know. Fortunately the wrench survived the ride.
Mine usually falls off in short order. Oops, did I just admit that?

I find I hear a really loud bang and remember I forgot it under the truck.

Hitting the starter with the ratchet in place and the dist disconnected from the ignitor is how I loosen the front bolt.

For flywheel & PP bolts a bellhousing bolt threaded mostly in and a pry-bar is how I normally do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom