80 Series General Tech and Classifieds (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s funny, when you look at the numbers, the 2UZ isn’t that much more powerful than the 1FZ. It only gives you 40 extra hp and 35 ft-lbs.

The LS3 gives you an extra 240 hp and 150 ft-lbs.
Though I acknowledge those published numbers, when you drive a 350 lb. heavier 100, you could easily make the mistake that it has 100 more hp and twice that in torque over the lighter 80. That's why virtually no one complains about the 100 having too little power, yet MOST do about the 80.

Now, I'm certainly not suggesting the 2UZ is some sort of power house - and it has virtually no performance mods available - but it IS a Toyota engine that's easily capable of 500,000 miles, doesn't leak, doesn't use oil, etc. In my opinion, a 2UZ with an a343f would be the best Land Cruiser Toyota never made........plus, there are just those of us who want to keep our Toyotas all-Toyota

The Wits end turbo pretty much nullifies any desire to swap in a 2uz.
Not to me

[EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't say that. The truth is, as long as a reasonable 2UZ swap isn't available, the turbo route IS a viable choice - or at least it will be in about a year when all of the inevitable initial bugs get worked out]

Last edited:
So thinking about letting my 92 go. Bought for a manual swap, but just too many in line ahead of it. So the 80 market is nuts and gauging the market is kinda tough. So what would be a good starting point for a 1992 FJ80 with 156k sell for? ARB front, xrc12 winch, OME stock height coils, 30mm spacers, FOX shocks, 16" wheels and 265 Cooper stt's.

0711161808_HDR.jpg

Though I acknowledge those published numbers, when you drive a 350 lb. heavier 100, you could easily make the mistake that it has 100 more hp and twice that in torque over the lighter 80. That's why virtually no one complains about the 100 having too little power, yet MOST do about the 80.

Now, I'm certainly not suggesting the 2UZ is some sort of power house - and it has virtually no performance mods available - but it IS a Toyota engine that's easily capable of 500,000 miles, doesn't leak, doesn't use oil, etc. In my opinion, a 2UZ with an a343f would be the best Land Cruiser Toyota never made........plus, there are just those of us who want to keep our Toyotas all-Toyota
I agree with all of this! 2uz in an 80 would be perfect and all Toyota.

When Jerry gets his 2UZ’d 80 done, we will do a few races against this 80 (or my my 60 to make it more fair):

-quarter mile race
-timing belt, starter, alternator replacement race

First one to finish takes all

In the event of a tie, we will see who can go further on a tank of gas :grinpimp:

When Jerry gets his 2UZ’d 80 done, we will do a few races against this 80 (or my my 60 to make it more fair):

-quarter mile race
-timing belt, starter, alternator replacement race

First one to finish takes all

In the event of a tie, we will see who can go further on a tank of gas :grinpimp:
HAHA! You'll win all of them! No doubts there.......

That's f'ing rad, Cam!

What's the rest of the drive train? Will it light up all 4 tires?

Thanks!

4L65 to 80 o’clock case. I will leave the 4 wheel burnouts to the customer, but hopefully!

It’s getting exhaust right now, so no real street time/testing yet.

My '97 has recently experienced a massive miss in the motor which caused the check engine light to flash and throw a P0304 and P0300 code. While all this was going on, the entire truck and dashboard shook like I was riding on a flat. The condition cured itself and I cleared the codes. The injectors have been cleaned. Where would I start to investigate the cause of this miss?

P0300 is just a code to let you know the vehicle is missing. It’s a random multiple missfire is present code. The P0304 is cylinder number 4 missfire, which is where you start. Check the plug, plug wire, cap, rotor. If you don’t see anything check the cylinder 4 injector connector. If nothing obvious at this point check to make sure the harness isn’t melted on the EGR tube. While the spark plug is out you can do a compression test but I doubt your problem is there. Anytime the check engine flashes, it essentially means engine is currently missing and the unburned fuel is collecting in the catalytic converter which could cause damage and is causing terrible tailpipe emissions.

So, let’s bring the 80 tech back to the top! I don’t know many of you personally but let me just say that I’m a fool for wrenching, not much of a wheeler but enjoy the revitalization of an old truck or tractor! My son and I are doing just that on a couple of 97s.
I have in fact enlisted Cam and his machine shop to get my 1FZ-FE builds into a long block that is planned well for the Wits End Turbo Kit. Cam and I have been strategizing on the make up of our builds. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing his shops head work and am all in on their head chamber work. Both my local Herrin Gear Toyota parts dealer and PartSouq have been good parts sources for the Toyota parts we have been fortunate to obtain. Of course, Wits End has many of the necessary items for a rebuild ready packaged at a reasonable package price as well. I delivered some clean metal to the Memphis man, Thanks for the coaching, Cam
D09E2BA0-6BFC-4CAF-8367-4E914F44B9B2.jpeg
40A211F7-DB79-4B39-A0AE-8399A9381626.jpeg
69A9CC1F-0140-437C-9320-49174A204C80.jpeg
BEDE7E35-C6B8-4C1B-8CC5-6667BF911DA7.jpeg
F1427FC3-4E7D-4989-8930-9FD705FB5B3A.jpeg

Well, PartSouq did their job but the order got flagged by customs through FedEx and held due to “lack of description of content” so by the time you spend a half day filling out customs forms and dealing with FedEx maybe it’s worth a little more coin to buy in the US. They did have some items that were not in the domestic chain that I needed so

David, it all costs money and time. It’s worth it if you enjoy the journey but not if you don’t. The engine parts were very reasonable in this particular size with PartSouq. That made my decision to go ahead and rebuild my original block back to new spec instead of running it as a clean 168k shortblock. I didn’t expect the customs kink though and the shipping was horrendous. Still saved a little money and got some great parts.

So, let’s bring the 80 tech back to the top! I don’t know many of you personally but let me just say that I’m a fool for wrenching, not much of a wheeler but enjoy the revitalization of an old truck or tractor! My son and I are doing just that on a couple of 97s.
I have in fact enlisted Cam and his machine shop to get my 1FZ-FE builds into a long block that is planned well for the Wits End Turbo Kit. Cam and I have been strategizing on the make up of our builds. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing his shops head work and am all in on their head chamber work. Both my local Herrin Gear Toyota parts dealer and PartSouq have been good parts sources for the Toyota parts we have been fortunate to obtain. Of course, Wits End has many of the necessary items for a rebuild ready packaged at a reasonable package price as well. I delivered some clean metal to the Memphis man, Thanks for the coaching, CamView attachment 2001636View attachment 2001637View attachment 2001638View attachment 2001639View attachment 2001640

Why did you not overbore this 1.00mm over? And instead went with the regular sized option?

All that money and work and it’s still a stock displacement block.

Sorry Onur, haven’t been checking in enough lately. Cam an I noticed that the 0.5mm oversized pistons were value priced and my block could have gone standard. We just wanted to put new pistons and rings in it with a new bore planned for stock compression and Wits End Turbo action. We really didn’t see the benefit in going 1mm over. These were half the price of the others.

Of course we miss the shared knowledge of the now retired LC Parts wizard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom