97 LC center locking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear friends

I just swap from jeep to Toyota LC and still don't know much. My first question is the 97 LC comes with center differential locking? it is something that I do not understand since all my life I had a Jeep Cherokee XJ with out front and rear lockers.

When I pull the transfer case shaft to Low the lights do not come on the dashboard, what should I do? I am not a mechanic everything is done by a hired mechanic

Thank you

Neto

It should come on in Low gear. Does the ABS light come on in Low gear? Is there a diff switch (button) on your dash?

Also, welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Congrats on leaving the Jeep world

The switch would look like this and is likely above the climate controls or the radio
s-l640.jpg

It should come on in Low gear. Does the ABS light come on in Low gear? Is there a diff switch (button) on your dash?

Also, welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Congrats on leaving the Jeep world

The switch would look like this and is likely above the climate controls or the radio
View attachment 1989700
No It doesn’t has that button and the ABS light does not come on

Neto,

your center differential probably has not been used in a while and the lights are taking a while to turn on.

1. The rig is running
2. Step on the brake
3. Put into Neutral
4. Pull the center diff down into low
5. Put the rig into 2nd gear
6. accelerate and you will hear the diff spinning
7. All the dashboard lights should come on after a few seconds to a minute.

Just because the lights don't all come on immediately doesn't mean it's not functioning properly. I've experience up to a minute driving before all the lights on the dash turned on, but the rig was in low and working.

Get back to us and tell us if that worked.

Zona

Welcome to the civilized offroading community where we worry about pink panties and our ever-ballooning GVWR.

Do yourself a favor and download your vehicles Factory Service Manual (Link in my Signature), I'd download both the 1996 and 1997 versions they are more or less the same.

Couple Questions and Points:
  1. Does the Center Diff Light Illuminate when you just turn the key from the ACC to the ON position? This is called "Bulb Check"
  2. As noted above the CDL often needs the vehicle to be moving slowly forward turned slightly to the left or right in order to engage. It is not uncommon for the CDL to not engage at all if the vehicle is not moving (it needs the splines to line up perfectly and if they aren't lined up it just waits)
  3. I've attached the section of the FSM which may help you if the problem is more than what's been covered. This is out of the 1996 FSM

Attachments

• Inspection (1996 Land Cruiser) Motor Shift Control System.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Location (1996 Land Cruiser) Motor Shift Control System.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to the civilized offroading community where we worry about pink panties and our ever-ballooning GVWR.

Do yourself a favor and download your vehicles Factory Service Manual (Link in my Signature), I'd download both the 1996 and 1997 versions they are more or less the same.

Couple Questions and Points:
  1. Does the Center Diff Light Illuminate when you just turn the key from the ACC to the ON position? This is called "Bulb Check"
  2. As noted above the CDL often needs the vehicle to be moving slowly forward turned slightly to the left or right in order to engage. It is not uncommon for the CDL to not engage at all if the vehicle is not moving (it needs the splines to line up perfectly and if they aren't lined up it just waits)
  3. I've attached the section of the FSM which may help you if the problem is more than what's been covered. This is out of the 1996 FSM
Thank you for you

welcome indeed. you will also find the forum here much more civilized than the jeep forums as well. Also, check the FAQs for adding a CDL switch (if you do not currently have one) and the 7 pin mod.

Hello Fiends

Even though I turn clockwise the key knob ON lights doesn't come ON the dash

When I control the center differential to LOW GEAR, I feel it engages and runs like a 4x4 but lights doesn't come ON

I guess it means that I have a to check the lights at dashboard to see if they are burnt

Now I am pretty sure that I do not have front and rear lockers, I guess this is dumb guess

thank you all

The more I search the more confused I get. Just checking at Toyota Part Deal.com the switch, differential that comes up marked for my 97 LC is this, what should I do?

Im stranded :frown:

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 7.40.06 PM.png

Hello Fiends

Even though I turn clockwise the key knob ON lights doesn't come ON the dash

When I control the center differential to LOW GEAR, I feel it engages and runs like a 4x4 but lights doesn't come ON

I guess it means that I have a to check the lights at dashboard to see if they are burnt

Now I am pretty sure that I do not have front and rear lockers, I guess this is dumb guess

thank you all

Sounds like your center diff lock light bulb is burnt out. It should light up momentarily (for several seconds after you switch the key to ON) just like the check engine light and the other warning lights do. If it’s not then the bulb is likely out.

The more I search the more confused I get. Just checking at Toyota Part Deal.com the switch, differential that comes up marked for my 97 LC is this, what should I do?

Im stranded :frown:

View attachment 1990578
That rotary switch is only for vehicles that came equipped with factory front and rear lockers (only about 10% brought to the US had this option). If you have front and rear lockers then you will already have this switch. It lives to the left of the steering wheel on the dash adjacen to the instrument dimmer knob.

We are only talking about the center diff locker, all 80 series (for simplicity) have a center diff locker, not all of them came from the factory with the manual switch which lets you turn on the locker in high range. However the wiring is all there behind the dash so all you need to do is purchase the center diff lock switch to gain this added functionality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom