3D Scanning and Printing- center dash bezel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I am amidst a interior tear down and figured out the center dash bezel is broken. I've posted that I am looking for a good one, but nothing has popped up yet (at least in my timeline) so my questions is...Has anyone had a part scanned and printed and have any idea what it might cost? I have a buddy with a printer, but need the file (with the appropriate edits to remove the cracks and broken tabs!).

Thanks for posting this. I don't have a file but was thinking about this very thing. Seems like a pretty obvious use of 3D printing tech. I was thinking about reaching out to the guys at bh3d Printing that make the 60 series 3D printed console cup holders to see if they would be interested in taking on something like this. Site here:

I have no idea if they have scanning gear to do this or not, but thought since they are already printing 60 series parts thought maybe they would be into the idea of printing our 60 series bezels. Again seems like a perfect 3D printing project, and one that I know at least I could certainly use to replace my broken bezel. Curious to see where this goes. Thanks again.

An after market replacement would be wonderful. In the meantime, I’ve had great success using 2 part JB weld to repair cracks in mine.

An after market replacement would be wonderful. In the meantime, I’ve had great success using 2 part JB weld to repair cracks in mine.
When I say crack, I really mean "gap".

Thanks for posting this. I don't have a file but was thinking about this very thing. Seems like a pretty obvious use of 3D printing tech. I was thinking about reaching out to the guys at bh3d Printing that make the 60 series 3D printed console cup holders to see if they would be interested in taking on something like this. Site here:

I have no idea if they have scanning gear to do this or not, but thought since they are already printing 60 series parts thought maybe they would be into the idea of printing our 60 series bezels. Again seems like a perfect 3D printing project, and one that I know at least I could certainly use to replace my broken bezel. Curious to see where this goes. Thanks again.
I reached out. Hopefully they are interested. Thanks for the contact.

I reached out. Hopefully they are interested. Thanks for the contact.

I was just finalizing an Email to them to see what they would say, but no sense in both of us doing that.

Would appreciate you posting their response here. Curious what they would say to this idea. Thanks.

@TRAIL TAILOR was working on a new bezel, post here, the latest I’ve seen on it was a couple of days ago

I was just finalizing an Email to them to see what they would say, but no sense in both of us doing that.

Would appreciate you posting their response here. Curious what they would say to this idea. Thanks.
Brad responded almost immediately: Do you know the overall dimensions of the part? We don't have super large format printers. The largest bed we have is 13.5" x 11.5". We also don't have a scanner good enough for a finished product. Our scanner we use is basically for quick mock up when we want to digitally test fit items before printing. They aren't "printer" quality parts BUT that doesn't mean we can't redesign the part ourselves in CAD. I am a mechanical engineering teacher and mainly teach CAD design. A dash piece should be pretty straight forward in designing. We just have to make sure it can fit on our largest machine. Can you snap a couple pics of the part we are discussing?

I told him that I will send some pics tonight and dimensions.

Excellent. Sounds like the size might be an issue though. Maybe that's the main driver behind why no one has done this before. Might be a matter of finding the right 3D printing outfit that has the correct printing/scanning gear available to print something this size. Even if these guys cannot do the printing/scanning, I would be open to contributing funds to get at least the needed 3D file created we could all use to have it printed somewhere of our choosing. Would be great to have a vendor that could just make this available to the community, but if we could even just get the thing scanned, that would go a long way to getting these bezels made.

Excellent. Sounds like the size might be an issue though. Maybe that's the main driver behind why no one has done this before. Might be a matter of finding the right 3D printing outfit that has the correct printing/scanning gear available to print something this size. Even if these guys cannot do the printing/scanning, I would be open to contributing funds to get at least the needed 3D file created we could all use to have it printed somewhere of our choosing. Would be great to have a vendor that could just make this available to the community, but if we could even just get the thing scanned, that would go a long way to getting these bezels made.
Check out the Trail Tailor thread above. He has a rendering, so he must be close.

Looks like @TRAIL TAILOR does it again. Pretty slick. Funny. No matter how many times I try and be part of something new, it always seems like its already been done on this forum. Good stuff.

Also noteworthy that if the Mud community built an open source 3d file, any of us could print it using Shapeways or their local library. Not to say we shouldn’t support a vendor doing it as a product, but there are alternatives for folks who want to tinker or potentially change the original design.

Trail Tailor is doing a milled aluminum one, I am thinking that might be cost prohibitive for me, so I still want a plastic option if we can make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom