Shock Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my GX into the dealer, air suspension is donezo and it would benefit from new shocks. I'm going to get the metaltech coil conversion kit, but not sure on the shocks. Looking to do this as cheap as possible while still maintaining a proper ride. Any recommendations?

Bilstein 5100 might be the cheapest. Use stock tires spring and need to source rear spring and coil conversion. About $400 shock, $150 rear spring and $100 coil conversion.
I would suggest dobinson stock height for around $800-900 plus $100 rear spring conversion.

Bilstein 5100 might be the cheapest. Use stock tires spring and need to source rear spring and coil conversion. About $400 shock, $150 rear spring and $100 coil conversion.
I would suggest dobinson stock height for around $800-900 plus $100 rear spring conversion.
Think I'm gonna do 5100 shocks ($75 each on eBay - part # 33-187174), Metal Tech Stage 2 coil conversion kit, and Moog FJ cruiser coils (part #81081) for $65 on amazon. Does that sound about right?

I like my 5100's. You might want to install the perch on the second ring from the bottom for a close to level stance. Each position translates to about 0.75" of ride height

I like my 5100's. You might want to install the perch on the second ring from the bottom for a close to level stance. Each position translates to about 0.75" of ride height
Thanks - I'm excited to try them. Do you think the Moog 81081 springs will suffice for the GX? I've read some posts that it works and others where people weren't too happy with them. I don't do any wheeling though so as long as they are good on the road I'll be happy.

Also, do you use Bilstein part # 33-187174? These are for the FJ

yes, that is what I used. I also replaced the strut mount while I was at it (factory replacement). I'm not sure about the Moog springs, i remember reading about them but I dont remember what the comments were. But, I think it results in a 1" lift from the "normal setting" of the air bags, but dont quote me. I lifted mine with Dobinsons Springs. Amazon piece by piece lift (5100's)

Ask yourself if you are going to lift in the near future and plan accordingly. If yes than itll help you narrow down some performance shocks.. if no then you can get some cheap Bils and the likes.

Best and cheapest shocks you are looking for are OEM take offs. Stock take off shocks are ideal for what you're planning. Any stock shock from an 03-09 4R or 07-09 FJC will bolt right up.

If you don't mind doing a very little mod you can run (easier to find low mileage) 2010+ 4R shocks. These are officially the Prado 150 and as far as the suspension mounting points go everything but the front lower strut mounts are the same. The lower strut mounts are 1/8" wider on the newer trucks. SO if you remove 1/6" material off both sides from the center bushing sleave of the lower mount on the strut it will mount right up to your GX. This is not modifying your car, just the used struts.

The difference between the Prado 120 and 150 is so slight that all the big suspension brands just ship everything set to 120, as it installs just fine and the mounting ears snug up when the primary bolt is tightened down. You are doing the reverse but just grinding a small amount of that center bushing sleeve on each side.

Post up in the 4Runner forums for your area your looking for low mileage stock take offs. Some guy that put a $2600 ICON kit will have his sub 1k mile full suspension in a box in your area. You want the WHOLE suspension including the rear springs from him. I would not pay more than $350 for the whole thing as there really is no market for used low mileage takeoffs. The other advantage is this way the front struts come with new OEM coils as well, already mounted on the struts. This makes the install crazy easy. You also get OEM Toyota rear coils.

As the company that invented the rear coil conversion kit, we appreciate you buying the original! Just use our stage 2 kit with that takeoff suspension and you're golden. Metal Tech GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Kit Stage 2 w/OEM Toyota Parts

Mark

Got my GX into the dealer, air suspension is donezo and it would benefit from new shocks. I'm going to get the metaltech coil conversion kit, but not sure on the shocks. Looking to do this as cheap as possible while still maintaining a proper ride. Any recommendations?

I just did 2" lift with rear airbag delete. Cheapest I could find was Old Man Emu 2" kit medium duty with Metal Tech stage 2 rear conversion for just over $1,800 installed.

side2 lift.jpg

Best and cheapest shocks you are looking for are OEM take offs. Stock take off shocks are ideal for what you're planning. Any stock shock from an 03-09 4R or 07-09 FJC will bolt right up.

If you don't mind doing a very little mod you can run (easier to find low mileage) 2010+ 4R shocks. These are officially the Prado 150 and as far as the suspension mounting points go everything but the front lower strut mounts are the same. The lower strut mounts are 1/8" wider on the newer trucks. SO if you remove 1/6" material off both sides from the center bushing sleave of the lower mount on the strut it will mount right up to your GX. This is not modifying your car, just the used struts.

The difference between the Prado 120 and 150 is so slight that all the big suspension brands just ship everything set to 120, as it installs just fine and the mounting ears snug up when the primary bolt is tightened down. You are doing the reverse but just grinding a small amount of that center bushing sleeve on each side.

Post up in the 4Runner forums for your area your looking for low mileage stock take offs. Some guy that put a $2600 ICON kit will have his sub 1k mile full suspension in a box in your area. You want the WHOLE suspension including the rear springs from him. I would not pay more than $350 for the whole thing as there really is no market for used low mileage takeoffs. The other advantage is this way the front struts come with new OEM coils as well, already mounted on the struts. This makes the install crazy easy. You also get OEM Toyota rear coils.

As the company that invented the rear coil conversion kit, we appreciate you buying the original! Just use our stage 2 kit with that takeoff suspension and you're golden. Metal Tech GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Kit Stage 2 w/OEM Toyota Parts

Mark
Awesome, thank you for this recommendation, I appreciate it! Is there a reason you wouldn't recommend using Moog springs? Specifically Moog 81081 for the rear (these are for the FJC)

Weight wise FJC is way too light 4400lbs. 10+ 5th gen 4runner 4800lbs would much better match weight wise to GX470.

NICE RIG!!! looks capable but retains the classiness!! I have the same color and am looking for a 2-2.5 lift.. but this right here is my goal!

Also added a Wilco high clearance hitchgate for a full size spare… I love it!
2BA8F476-A4FF-4AA3-B6F0-ECF8BC74F153.jpeg

For anyone considering this in the future here is what I did for my rear air bag to coil conversion:

- Moog 81081 coils (FJ coils)
- Bilstein 5100 33-187174 shocks (4Runner shocks)
- MetalTech Stage 1 kit
- OEM coil spring insulator part #4830235040

The GX rides like a dream now - much better than before. I didn't realize how much this would improve the ride quality. All bumps feel either inexistent or incredibly smooth. Fast turning has much less body roll. I have not felt a difference in emergency braking like I had read from other users. See the pictures below, it looks like it's a bit higher in the rear than it was before, but this should level out as the new components settle. Also, it took about 2.5-3 hours to install.

I am going to do this same thing. I already bought the shocks. Was trying to figure out what to do about springs. I was worried that the springs might be too short for the B5100/33-187174 shocks, but will go with the Moogs.

Thanks for sharing this. My GX rides like a buckboard, slamming over ever bump, and my family hates riding in the back seat.

I did 5100s with used V8 4Runner rear springs and stock front springs on notch 2 on our GX. It is much improved over the airbags which bottomed out all the time.

I am considering swapping in some OME coils for around 2” of lift. I have OME 885 with 5100s on my Tacoma and it rides great, so I would like to replicate that on the GX.

So unless you are opposed to a slight lift I would look into OME coils 884 or 885 front with 895 or 895e rear to run with 4Runner spec 5100s.

Last edited:
I did 5100s with used V8 4Runner rear springs and stock front springs on notch 2 on our GX. It is much improved over the airbags which bottomed out all the time.

I am considering swapping in some OME coils for around 2” of lift. I have OME 885 with 5100s on my Tacoma and it rides great, so I would like to replicate that on the GX.

So unless you are opposed to a slight lift I would look into OME coils 884 or 885 front with 895 or 895e rear to run with 4Runner spec 5100s.
When I get around to doing the front I'll probably replace the rear coils with what you mentioned - just not ready to lift it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom