Transmission Locks up in 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I dropped the boat in the other day and parked my truck in the yard overnight. It was left in 4wd. I go to move it the next day and it's locked up, won't move forward or backward. If i gave it gas the rear tire(s?) would spin but that's it. I rocked it back and forth a few times, turned off the 4wd button and unlocked the hubs. It still wouldn't move. Rocked it back and forth a few more times and POP it was free and drove fine.
This is the second time this has happened though the first time was just a POP when I put it in reverse. That got my attention but I blew it off.
I can't get my boat in and out without 4wd as it is a primitive dirt ramp.
Any suggestions before I go poking around underneath? Plan on checking the transfer case fluid as an obvious first step.

Gonna pull the boat out this morning. I'll let you know if it behaves or not.

Thanks for any help!

this is an fj62? vacuum operated shifter. Make sure the vacuum line is on the front output of the transfer case. Make sure it is getting vacuum when the button is pushed. You can put the front axle on stand and in 2wd with the hubs locked manually turn the front drive shaft to see that the front wheels engage.

After the popping sound did the truck go into 4wd? If you can get the "popping" to reproduce while turning the drive shaft maybe you can pinpoint if the problem is in the t'case or somewhere else.

Last edited:
I’ve had this happen on shallow launches where the front wheels end up partially or all in the water. It’s been the rotors/pads rusting and binding the front wheels.

was the transfer case in neutral? could be something to do with your linkage. I think the FJ62 has a vacuum operated mechanism for the switch between 2wd and 4wd, but you still have a shift lever for Hi-N-Low. If the lever pops into neutral, then your wheels won't spin. Being in neutral, though, is different from being "locked up", i think. In neutral the truck would still want to roll.

Check the linkage and make sure the pivot nuts/bushings are tight. You can stroke the lever and make sure the shift arm in the transfer is fully engaging. Part of the mechanism are inner (inside) and outer (outside) levers that rotate to move the high and low shift fork. There is a nut that clamps the outer lever to a shaft on the inner lever. If the clamp is loose, the inner lever can drop down and disengage from the shift fork.

when you say locked up, does the engine free rev? Or does it bog down? The rear wheels spun but the truck would not move? So the front was holding it?
My cruiser pops out of 4wd low into neutral. It's a combination of wear in the transfer case and maybe an engine mount again separated..

I would take your cruiser down a dirt road at 5 mph, straight line and go in and out of 4wd a bunch of times. There could be something sticky and it needs a little use....The dirt road and slow speed is in case something locks up, it will skid on the dirt.

I’ve had this happen on shallow launches where the front wheels end up partially or all in the water. It’s been the rotors/pads rusting and binding the front wheels.

I agree with ^^^...

I'd say this sounds more like brakes sticking in place than transfer case related. It'd be more likely the drums would stick (due to design and the fact that they are more likely to get wet launching a boat)...but the front pads can and will stick as well.

Strange that you got rear wheelspin with it in 4WD, however....

- Brian

Thanks for the input. I've used it several times now without a problem but I have taken up the habit of taking out of 4WD (leaving hubs locked though), hopefully this will help.
I thought of the rear brake drums sticking comment but it was the rear wheels that were turning. The vacuum line might be compromised or just leaky. I'll check that along with the fluid level in the transfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom