Is it a bad idea to repaint a 2004 to a factory color for that year that I prefer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found an LC 100. I'm close to purchasing but the paint color is not my favorite (Sonora Gold). I plan to keep this LC in the family for a long time but in the event I sell it... Will an aftermarket OEM paint job that correlates correctly to year range etc affect value? What are some of the most popular colors for resale of the LC 100?

Last edited:
IMO it’s fine to repaint the whole car, that’s even more cost-effective than doing one panel at a time.
Choosing the color should be easy, in order to hold its value choose a factory color code. If you would notice, LC buyers are mostly looking for “original” specs since you would want to keep it’s value. Paint isn’t an exception, however if one sees the paint and body to be as good as new (assuming it wasn’t painted candy color lol), you may have just invited interest, and interest from a buyer sells cars.

Paint it what you'd like. If you plan to keep it a long time, it won't matter. The high dollar trucks are going to be all original and have very low miles. By the time you paid for a proper color change, you'd have effectively totalled the truck and would negate any long term value anyway.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a non-beater car that's had a color change. Even a good one won't cover all the painted surfaces and it'd be annoying (IMO). If I was buying a POS to beat around in, don't care. I've got a 1985 MB that I LOVE, but HATE the color. Will eventually have it painted and wouldn't consider doing a color change for the sake of originality.

Thanks 100club. So what would be a good ballpark price one could expect for a quality OEM paint job?

Hotrod/classic restoration shop by me does paint jobs for about $20k. You could probably find an indie shop for 10-15k. I personally do less show cars and more functional builds and if I wanted to repaint, I’d use some Turkish guys I know who will do it for $4k

As said, painting it a different color is generally not good for resale value. But if you were to paint it, I would recommend a color that is NOT OEM to the US market 100 series. Go for something you don't see everyday. And if you choose a desirable color, resale value might even be higher than a non-repainted vehicle.

A TRD Pro color would definitely hold its value

Right now it's Sonora Pearl. The car is flawless. truly unreal with around 100k miles. If it wasn't the gold it would be a no brainer.. I just don't see them often and am not sure

Consider wrapping it. The cost would range from 2k-4K depending on the installer. You’ll get the color you want and the original paint underneath will remain in great condition. If reselling it is in the back of your mind, I’d wager you’ll have few issues selling it as long as the original paint is intact (even Gold).

Reactions: GTV
If you plan on keeping the vehicle forever make it any color you like. When the time comes to sell it the fact that it is not the original color will always be detrimental unless the prospective buyer wants it to be the color you picked out.

My 1988 BJ74 was everything I wanted except for the color. I had it refinished in the original color and it looks damn good. Is it my color? No. It is however the correct color and that will be more important over time.

Definitely do not use raptor lining or any kind of bed liner if you care about resale.

DO NOT GO Tacoma TRD Cement Gray.
its a a bad bad bad ugly choice. :)
Choose the Dessert Brown or Orange.
6c7b6da13f.jpeg

Found an LC 100. I'm close to purchasing but the paint color is not my favorite (Sonora Gold). I plan to keep this LC in the family for a long time but in the event I sell it... Will an aftermarket OEM paint job that correlates correctly to year range etc affect value? What are some of the most popular colors for resale of the LC 100?

It won't affect value significantly, no. Even if painted cheaply, I think resale value would only be minimally affected. People buy these vehicles for lots of reasons, but a clean paint job is not one of them.

Thanks 100club. So what would be a good ballpark price one could expect for a quality OEM paint job?

$10k is a good starting point.

A solid full color change is going to be over $10k for a decent job.You are better off buying a color you like.

Agreed very much. I notice there are many Supra owners on 'mud. Cool.

FWIW, I'm currently repainting my 91 Supra. I'm going full tilt on it. Every panel, every trim piece, doors, fenders, etc... all removed. I'm repainting it because someone half-assed a repaint previously. It's easy to do a half assed paint job that will look fine for a few years. It's a TON more work to do it "right". Doing it right means removing ALL trim. Many pieces are one time use, so you need to buy new trim and clips. That gets expensive. It's also a ton of labor. If you go the half-assed route, the paint will start peeling at edges and masking lines or overspray will be visible. If you're the type of person to notice details or obsess over perfection that stuff can drive you mad.

I hate gold and I would leave that thing alone unless you have a ton of spare money to throw at a good repaint. Since you're asking the question about resale value I'm guessing you don't have a bottomless bucket of cash standing by. :)

It's easy to do a half assed paint job that will look fine for a few years. It's a TON more work to do it "right". Doing it right means removing ALL trim. Many pieces are one time use, so you need to buy new trim and clips. That gets expensive. It's also a ton of labor. If you go the half-assed route, the paint will start peeling at edges and masking lines or overspray will be visible. If you're the type of person to notice details or obsess over perfection that stuff can drive you mad.

I hate gold and I would leave that thing alone unless you have a ton of spare money to throw at a good repaint. Since you're asking the question about resale value I'm guessing you don't have a bottomless bucket of cash standing by. :)

This^

There is only one good way to repaint a vehicle in a different color. That takes a TON of labor and the misc single use parts mentioned above. If it were me, I wouldn't want to see the original color ANYWHERE. But that's just me. I'm picky like that. All in, you will likely get close to the value or purchase price of the truck in cost of new paint color. The wrap idea is interesting but how long it will last vs. the cost is a good question.

Be patient. A color you want will come up eventually. I passed on a bunch of trucks that were in a color that I didn't want. I finally picked up a BGP that was one of the 3 colors I wanted.

DO NOT GO Tacoma TRD Cement Gray.
its a a bad bad bad ugly choice. :)
Choose the Dessert Brown or Orange.
6c7b6da13f.jpeg

Dude, that thing looks great! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom