Photo request - 62 with a headliner removed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title states - trying to see what the sheetmetal looks like without the headliner in.... searched but little came up (lots of discussions, few photos).
TIA

47490881_2211688145528731_6175085570511863808_n.jpg

47495875_2211688178862061_1730490547451199488_n.jpg

Need Moar Pics!
Interested in doing this with my next 60. Planning to brush the interior with a few layers of light grey lizardskin/raptorliner/etc to reduce heat & noise transmission, plus cygnus white on the outside to reduce heat absorption.

Last edited:
Mine had massive glue to strip off. Kinda sucked.
20181208_211353.jpg
20181208_182112.jpg

Slightly confused....

Is the roof double layered steel with a gap between? As in - if you were to tap on the steel on the inside is that the same panel directly on the top exterior?

I have rust along the gutters but it seems theres another layer beneath... essentially trying to determine if I can cut out and weld in a patch without removing the headliner... obviously a stray spark could catch the insulation/glue on fire which is the last thing I want...

We had an 87 suburban with the liner removed and it was a single thin sheet.

Our headliner is in excellent shape and I'd rather not pull (destroy) it... but the roof work has to be done...

20190525_162950.jpg

The roof is a single layer. It rolls over and forms a J for the lack of a better term. The gutter itself on the outside is also a J. Moisture from condensation runs down the inside of the roof, sits inside in this J and has nowhere to go. By the time you see bubbles on the outside you are not going to like what you find.

Oh yeah, that roof glue is nasty stuff. I tried some serious paint remover and it did not touch it. I ended up going at it with a wire wheel. PITA!

Looks like this with two layers of Lizard Skin, one coat gloss black paint and a layer of X matt.

X matt will not stick to raw Lizard Skin

Slightly confused....

Is the roof double layered steel with a gap between? As in - if you were to tap on the steel on the inside is that the same panel directly on the top exterior?

I have rust along the gutters but it seems theres another layer beneath... essentially trying to determine if I can cut out and weld in a patch without removing the headliner... obviously a stray spark could catch the insulation/glue on fire which is the last thing I want...

We had an 87 suburban with the liner removed and it was a single thin sheet.

Our headliner is in excellent shape and I'd rather not pull (destroy) it... but the roof work has to be done...

View attachment 1986677

The outer skin of the roof is a single layer and wraps around to the rain gutter. You can see above in @dogfishlake photos there is the underlying roof frame that runs around the perimeter. The underlying framing is what is giving it a double layer appearance from the rust hole outside.

I doubt you could weld patches in without burning the liner. The roof skin has a gap that goes up and over the side structure. Perhaps you could stuff the area with ceramic insulation then patch but you would be back to an area that holds moisture.

For those who have removed the headliner... amid seeing this right that the windshield and back glass have to come out?

Also assume there is no salvaging the headliner?

That is correct. You will have to remove the windshield, rear cargo windows, and all the door trim if you want to reuse the headliner. There will be clips and glue where it wraps around the door openings under the weather stripping. If you go slow and take extra care around the sewn seams you should be able to reuse the headliner. The hardest part for me was putting the windshield back in without disturbing the headliner.

Here is mine. The before, during and after the headliner was removed....
The best addition I did was the roof net - great for pillows / blankets / throw rugs etc on long drives...
Mine was replaced with insurance due to my small fire... The replacement required the front window out, but the rear side windows remained in. The replacement isn’t original Toyota and has joins at the top of each of the pillars - I don’t care as it certainly isn’t a concourse restored car (far from it!!!)

6B8FAFB7-C0BE-46E3-A828-502DDCF4C631.jpeg
42B0AF24-7031-4532-BBC1-FE4C7F9CAAEA.jpeg
0973BCE4-16A1-42FD-A513-39BA135CF2E7.jpeg
1C1287BA-C30A-4CB9-BB39-7F68090C9E43.jpeg

The roof is a single layer. It rolls over and forms a J for the lack of a better term. The gutter itself on the outside is also a J. Moisture from condensation runs down the inside of the roof, sits inside in this J and has nowhere to go. By the time you see bubbles on the outside you are not going to like what you find.

Oh yeah, that roof glue is nasty stuff. I tried some serious paint remover and it did not touch it. I ended up going at it with a wire wheel. PITA!

Looks like this with two layers of Lizard Skin, one coat gloss black paint and a layer of X matt.

X matt will not stick to raw Lizard Skin
After applying the Lizard Skin, paint and X matt, did you then replace the headliner?

Here is mine. The before, during and after the headliner was removed....
The best addition I did was the roof net - great for pillows / blankets / throw rugs etc on long drives...
Mine was replaced with insurance due to my small fire... The replacement required the front window out, but the rear side windows remained in. The replacement isn’t original Toyota and has joins at the top of each of the pillars - I don’t care as it certainly isn’t a concourse restored car (far from it!!!)

View attachment 1987140View attachment 1987141View attachment 1987142View attachment 1987143
Link to the source for the net, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom