Alternator Confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 6 of 79 fj40 U.S. spec. I am having a difficult time finding an alternator that is rated for my year that has an external regulator (Current alternator bearings going bad). Amp meter is rated for 55 amps. From what I have seen by searching 1 of 79 was the last year for external regulators. So why does my truck have an external regulator? It's clearly a factory installed bracket on the fire wall and factory wire plug. I'm confused as to why my alternator is not internally regulated since it's a 6 of 79. Also does anyone know what the factory alternator is rated for a 6 of 79? I only run front and rear fog lights. No other accessories and no AC so I do not wish to upgrade the amp rating of the alternator. Thanks in advance.

I have a 6 of 79 fj40 U.S. spec. I am having a difficult time finding an alternator that is rated for my year that has an external regulator (Current alternator bearings going bad). Amp meter is rated for 55 amps. From what I have seen by searching 1 of 79 was the last year for external regulators. So why does my truck have an external regulator? It's clearly a factory installed bracket on the fire wall and factory wire plug. I'm confused as to why my alternator is not internally regulated since it's a 6 of 79. Also does anyone know what the factory alternator is rated for a 6 of 79? I only run front and rear fog lights. No other accessories and no AC so I do not wish to upgrade the amp rating of the alternator. Thanks in advance.

hi @Idgie79 ,

every once in a while i see a thread posted like yours , I always post MY Factory Toyota Dealership Part's Department Parts Catalogue

info as a helpful means to answer your Questions & Concerns , Please let me know if Does ?

of if u have further questions , i can try to help let me know

- 1 Concrete fact i can give u now is that bracket on your firewall is there for NON-USA Applications , like my 1983 FJ43L-KC still and did

originally a remote mounted regulator

- since TOYOTA OEM factory NIPPONDENSO Re-Mans have dried up , I have personally Gone BOSCH Reman , IMO its the nest bet thing ..........

DSCN9843.JPG
DSCN9844.JPG
DSCN9846.JPG
DSCN9847.JPG

Yes this helps a lot at least on the amperage question. But I am confused about the USA and foreign version of the truck and Alternator set-up. The truck has factory power steering, front disc brakes, factory roll bar, square turn signals, full seat belts, mph for speedometer, and 4 speed tranny. I thought foreign versions had drum brakes on all 4 wheels, lap belts, no roll bar, no power steering etc...This truck has not been restored or modified to accept any of the U.S. spec components.

its Not that complex , TOYOTA just installed a Regulator Bracket on ALL fj40's @ Plant A11 on the assy line , easier and cheaper in long

run , Keep it simple The
" TOYOTA WAY "

Is there a concrete way I can identify my cruiser as a U.S. spec or a foreign?

YES,

look at your drivers side door jamb , u should have one of these , if it uses or has the Word FEDERAL in it , it a USA

DSCN1774.JPG

Ok so that confusion is solved. Thank you. I also looked up an alternator from a 1980 fj40. I found a 50 amp with external regulator.

Last edited:
Sorry for the upside down pic. I looked up the 1980 because my 79 was built in June. I figured it would be close if not the same and it is the exact same.

Sorry for the upside down pic. I looked up the 1980 because my 79 was built in June. I figured it would be close if not the same and it is the exact same.

awsome !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom