Radiator failed on my 07 LX470... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
while picking up groceries this morning, I randomly caught a wiff of anti freeze. Opened the hood, and sure enough, found the leak. What is weird is truck never got hot, or showed steam coming out the hood. Major failure. Parked it at my mechanic 1 mile from my house. Pretty sure this is original radiator, so it lasted 300k.

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9202.jpg

That failure would have been spectacular on the interstate!

I just replaced my factory radiator at 314k. It wasn't leaking or even turning brown like so many others, but it sure made me nervous being that old.

Replace the thermostat as well. Usually it fails and will burst an old radiator.

good call. is a thermostat cheap? thanks for the insight.

The 2UZ-FE is a marvelous engine with respect to running cool and also being easy on engine oil.

BUT...they do not like to get hot, so always guard against that.

Borrowed my mom’s 2019 lx570 while mine is I. The shop

6E0B65B7-0B5F-4CEB-B648-BBE1FE755E96.jpeg

I wouldn't trust one past 150k. You should always replace the upper and lower hoses along with the thermostat and toyota coolant when replacing the radiator. They usually don't show their true age until you drain them and let them dry out. At that point you will notice the top hose connection is yellow and the top tank is starting to yellow. They will normally fail at the top tank since that's where the hot engine coolant enters. While you have the system drained and if you haven't already done it, replace the heater tees and hoses as well, they usually fail before the radiator does

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust one past 150k. You should always replace the upper and lower hoses along with the thermostat and toyota coolant when replacing the radiator. They usually don't show their true age until you drain them and let them dry out. At that point you will notice the top hose connection is yellow and the top tank is starting to yellow. They will normally fail at the top tank since that's where the hot engine coolant enters. While you have the system drained and if you haven't already done it, replace the heater tees and hoses as well, they usually fail before the radiator does

my radiator looked quite fresh to the naked eye. Ive seen discolored radiators in pics and this one didn't have it...

Poor thing. I’d tell the shop to take their time;)

100k sticker price, and it has 2500 miles on it. I loved driving it, but I was afraid to tear of up that pretty silver paint. My mechanic fixed my radiator for 800 bucks and had me back by 5pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom