fj40 tire racks.......stock or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
was hoping to gain a little knowledge on the stock tire racks for fj40...not sure if im into paying what people are wanting for ol rusty ...any thoughts on stock vs aftermarket. not to concerned with staying stock ,just something that won't leave my tire on the road...my 40 came with a rack ,turns out it wasn't up for the task of holding a 33 for longer than a few minutes lol...

what year 40? the later tube carrier is better at larger tires than the earlier versions.
X2 on the beefing up of the tub if rust is an issue

was hoping to gain a little knowledge on the stock tire racks for fj40...not sure if im into paying what people are wanting for ol rusty ...any thoughts on stock vs aftermarket. not to concerned with staying stock ,just something that won't leave my tire on the road...my 40 came with a rack ,turns out it wasn't up for the task of holding a 33 for longer than a few minutes lol...

Cody, don’t know if this approach will work for you? I had a similar problem with the carrier on my 64. The combined tire and wheel weight was flexing the carrier in a diagonal manner from upper left to lower right. It was squeaking and was soon to fail. I have an on-board air compressor to inflate my tires so I decided to use it as part of a solution for the wheel carrier. I first inflated my spare to 40 psi in the latched position. Then cut and positioned a short piece of 4x3 angle firmly against the bottom of the tire and marked it on the bumper. Next drilled slotted holes in the angle and round holes in the bumper. I then bled the air in the spare down to 20 psi and positioned the angle just snug to the bottom of under inflated spare. Installed bolts and torqued really firm. Photos below. Then reinflated the spare .... until the full weight was bearing on the angle and not the carrier (40 psi). Stopped almost all vibration and all flexing.

When I need to open both back doors, I deflate the spare until it lifts off the angle. Then unlatch it and swing it out. Repeat the sequence to close.
5E9C6E6B-5067-4AA5-B4A0-72C80DF9CC85.jpeg
7E08967F-3DC7-453C-90E9-6CDED70283F5.jpeg
54CC2A6A-5D37-4D91-BF48-26651F286B2A.jpeg
Worked every time I have tried it since installing this fix!!!!

Which style do you have?

I have a early model rack and I’m going to start with grinding out the old studs. Adding longer ones aswell as a spacer made of 1x1” square tubing to fit a 33x10.50 on stock wheels.

574E8F09-25D1-45AA-9285-93C8BBF4AB61.jpeg

Cody, don’t know if this approach will work for you? I had a similar problem with the carrier on my 64. The combined tire and wheel weight was flexing the carrier in a diagonal manner from upper left to lower right. It was squeaking and was soon to fail. I have an on-board air compressor to inflate my tires so I decided to use it as part of a solution for the wheel carrier. I first inflated my spare to 40 psi in the latched position. Then cut and positioned a short piece of 4x3 angle firmly against the bottom of the tire and marked it on the bumper. Next drilled slotted holes in the angle and round holes in the bumper. I then bled the air in the spare down to 20 psi and positioned the angle just snug to the bottom of under inflated spare. Installed bolts and torqued really firm. Photos below. Then reinflated the spare .... until the full weight was bearing on the angle and not the carrier (40 psi). Stopped almost all vibration and all flexing.

When I need to open both back doors, I deflate the spare until it lifts off the angle. Then unlatch it and swing it out. Repeat the sequence to close.View attachment 1986250View attachment 1986251View attachment 1986252 Worked every time I have tried it since installing this fix!!!!

Did I read that right? You have to air down and then air up your spare every time you want to open the tire carrier?

Did I read that right? You have to air down and then air up your spare every time you want to open the tire carrier?
[/

Yep! Uptakes a only couple of minutes. Quick connect hose from front bumper air tank! Worth it for no fatigue or rattle. Beats spending a $1000+ bucks and a bunch of time on installing a new bumper/carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom