Seatbelt won’t extend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, my seatbelt extends. But it isn’t easy, and sure isn’t quick. On the worst days it may take me a minute or a little more. It feels like it catches every 1/4” or so. It is quite annoying. Most of the results from searching are related to the belts not retracting properly. This is also an issue for me. Any ideas on where to start?

The inertia clutch inside the seat belt retractor housing may be your problem. In normal operation your Inertia-Locking Retractor reel spins freely and self-adjust under normal operation.

The set belt webbing will extend/retract to fit the user and allow free movement while wearing the seat belt.

Whenever a sharp tug is applied to a Inertia-Locking Retractor reel the centrifugal clutch engages and locks the reel in place. This locks the seat belt in place, and keeps you in your seat during sudden stops.

You might want to try pulling the set belt retractor housing out of the truck. To see if you can open it up to check if the retractor clutch is all gummed up with hair, soda pop or other sticky crap keeping it from spinning freely.

The inertia clutch inside the seat belt retractor housing may be your problem. In normal operation your Inertia-Locking Retractor reel spins freely and self-adjust under normal operation.

The set belt webbing will extend/retract to fit the user and allow free movement while wearing the seat belt.

Whenever a sharp tug is applied to a Inertia-Locking Retractor reel the centrifugal clutch engages and locks the reel in place. This locks the seat belt in place, and keeps you in your seat during sudden stops.

You might want to try pulling the set belt retractor housing out of the truck. To see if you can open it up to check if the retractor clutch is all gummed up with hair, soda pop or other sticky crap keeping it from spinning freely.
Thanks. Any dos or don’ts for cleaning it if it is gummed up

Once you've removed the seat belt rewind housing from your truck, and while opened it up to inspect it. Try to be careful as you can with any plastic parts you encounter, because after 25 years of summer heat they'll be brittle as heck.

Thanks. Any dos or don’ts for cleaning it if it is gummed up

🎯🎯

Great. Thanks guys. I will report back

Sorry for re-posting but thought it should get out there...

Had one front seatbelt retractor get submerged in a mudhole. Afterwards it wouldn't pull out. Air and lube didn't help.
Finally pulled off the lower b-pillar trim and removed the mechanism. It seems dried mud was jamming the mechanism. The covers say "do not remove" so I drilled two small 1/8" or so holes on each side into the plastic covers and ran water until the mud was gone. Sprayed in a bit of silicon and re-installed the seatbelt retractor.

Works like new. Next time the muddy water should drain out the holes rather than dry up and leave a mudcake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom