need opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me neither, but I'd be curious to see where you find rocker arms on an overhead cam engine.

In my garage - Toyota 22R (Minitruck), Mercedes OM617 (300SD), 1965 Honda CB77 Superhawk, 1988 Suzuki Quad Runner.

Well, you learn something new every day. My 1GR-FE does not have them, just bucket shims.

Yeah I also have the pleasure :confused: of owning several shim/bucket motors. FJ Cruiser, Tacoma (3RZ), BMW K75s, Kawasaki KLR650, 1981 VW diesel. What a PITA. The 1GR is overdue for valve adjustment I'm just dreading tearing into it.

Well, the stupid part is, I have owned several Hilux/mini trucks over the years, and rebuilt several more 22R/22RE's besides, so i should have known better. The effects of old age I guess. Thanks for setting me straight guys.

So I went to the local Toyota dealer where I last had it serviced and asked them to have a listen to give me an opinion but they were insistent on me booking the car in for a proper diagnosis check $150 and didn't even want to walk outside for a quick look and listen. They said they can be noisy and could injectors or fuel line pulsation? They said "A diagnostic check will be $150. Wasn't happy with it but figured since I've been losing sleep over the whole engine tapping thing, I might as well get it checked to get something in writing if they think it's normal. Or if its not normal then what needs to be fixed so I can get it taken care of by the selling dealer while it's still in the warranty.

Last edited:
To get a good idea of the origin of the sound try using a tube. Put your ear at the end of the tube and move the other end around the engine. It really helps with locating the source of the noise. My favorite tube is the cardboard tube for wrapping paper. They are about 30” long and 1” in diameter. Other good option is a piece of PVC pipe used for plumbing. I feel cardboard is safer if you accidently touch any moving parts.
I used to work in a garage owed by my uncles. I have heard lots of engines that sounded like yours that ran strong for a long time. Try to find the source of the noise and fix if possible. Regardless use the truck and enjoy it.

So I went to the local Toyota dealer where I last had it serviced and asked them to have a listen to give me an opinion but they were insistent on me booking the car in for a proper diagnosis check $150 and didn't even want to walk outside for a quick look and listen. They said they can be noisy and could injectors or fuel line pulsation? They said "A diagnostic check will be $150. Wasn't happy with it but figured since I've been losing sleep over the whole engine tapping thing, I might as well get it checked to get something in writing if they think it's normal. Or if its not normal then what needs to be fixed so I can get it taken care of by the selling dealer while it's still in the warranty.
Let me know what you find

Let me know what you find
Hi Stellz996, so i got the teport back from that Toyota dealer and they said the tapping k ocling is not normal and is from somewhere the bottom of the engine and they couldnt hear anything from the top and sounds is internal issue. They told me to take it back to the selling dealer with the report to get it look at and fixed as the boise would only get worse. So i called my selling dealer, told them about it and just dropped it off to them today. They have made a booking for their nearby Toyota dealer to have a look and see later this week. Ive sent the dealer a letter outlining the overall discription and characteristic of the tappig knocking noise with youtube links to the videos i made of the vehicle for their reference just in case they claim they cant replicate or hear it. They said they have forwarded it to management and the nearby Toyota dealer. My concern is the report the toyota dealer gave me only mentions obvious tapping knocking noise and is internal. They didnt write it was ‘abnormal and from bottom of the engine’ so kind of non descript. They said it is because they dont know what is wrong for sure until further investigation through pulling things apart which i would have to take back to selling dealer aince its still under stat warranty. Now for the long wait...just hoping their nearby dealer doesnt fob it off as being ‘normal for sounds across the toyota range’. Crossing my fingers hoping they support the findings of the other Toyota dealer and say yep something isnt right and needs fixing and fixes it. Will update when i know more.

Thank mate, keep me updated.

Ive been meaning to check my oil pressure with a gauge but dont know what it should be at so javent bought a gauge yet

I wanna check compression and oil pressure before i get my tune donebin a couple of months problem is i dont have anything to tell me what they should be reading.

As for a hardwired electric gauge in the car hardest part is finding someone for the gauge

So after the long anxious wait, I finally get the call and the selling dealer (non Toyota) said they took my car down to their local Toyota dealer to have a look and they came back saying the tapping noise is from the valvetrain and is 'slightly louder' than normal BUT 'not excessive' and not recommend pulling engine apart at this point. So as a result, the selling dealer said they can't do anything about it now. They said if the Toyota dealer said recommended to investigate further then they would have authorised it. So despite one Toyota dealer saying its abnormal 'verbally' and from bottom end 'again verbally' and only wrote it up as tapping/knocking evident and internal and suggested to take it back to selling dealer for investigation, it wasn't specific as they were not able to pull the engine apart and the second Toyota dealer now says its not worth pulling engine apart to investigate further as its only slighter louder than normal for this v6 engine but not 'excessively loud' and they supposedly told my selling dealer that 9 out of 10 FJ's do that and some are louder than others. The selling dealer said they wished something went wrong so it was extremely obvious but in this instance they have their hands tied and cant go further as they are basing advice of Toyota. Sigh.........Only thing now is to just hope and pray it's supposedly indeed normal and the engine is fine. Selling dealer did say that if anything bad does eventuate in the next several months then they will 'look after me'. So here's to hoping the FJ is indeed 'normal' and lasts the lifetime I own it for. But of course none of the dealers are willing to write ‘normal’ on their reports either.

Last edited:
Sounded like a valve speed noise to me in your video. If the tech could determine which head was the one the noise is coming from they could inspect from the top down.... valve cover off, rocker arm assembly off, hydraulic lifters, springs, valve guides? I’m just saying, it may not be too “deep” if it’s valvetrain related.

Im litteraly going to jist compression test and oil pressure check mine, if it comes up good then i will just make my exhaust louder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom