New OEM power steering pump install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just installed a new OEM power steering pump and high pressure line. I followed romers and Cdans instructions from the following thread. Power Steering Pump and Hose Replacement - FAQ

I bled the heck out of the system with the front end jacked up. When I took it for a test drive it's making the whining/ moaning noise plus some other racket. Based on what I described did I miss a step or not do something?

Thanks.

Did you make sure to torque the nut that holds the power steering pump gear in place to the correct amount? One more question, when you were tightening that nut, how did you hold the power steering gear to keep it from turning. Because if you damaged the teeth on that gear while tightening that nut. Or if you didn't tighten the nut to the correct torque setting, that will cause the pump to make noise. Below are a few photos of a simple clamp i make out of a wood 2x6 to hold that gear so i didn't damage it's teeth when i torqued the power steering nut to spec.

I used romers technique. A thick towel and large channel locks to hold yhe gear in place while i torqued the nut.

Any update on this?
Just replaced the pump with a new one and it's noisy as hell. Still getting foam in the reservoir.
I've turned the wheel about a million times already.

Any update on this?
Just replaced the pump with a new one and it's noisy as hell. Still getting foam in the reservoir.
I've turned the wheel about a million times already.

With the front wheels of the ground and the engine OFF, turn lock to lock SLOWLY about 100 times. Literally.

Fill it about every 5 cycles.

Then start the engine and do another 100 times, filling it every 5 cycles.

That should have taken care of it unless you have an air leak due to a hose not sealing or have a hole in it.

Our bleed procedure; start the motor and turn it off ASAP, as soon as it fires, check, refill the reservoir, repeat until the level stabilizes. Then start, slowly turn the steering almost lock to lock, return to center and check, refill the reservoir. This does it, may make slight noise for a couple of drive cycles.

If the steering is turned quickly, held at full lock, motor reved, etc, can foam the fluid, making the air hard to remove. Not difficult to recover, allow to rest for an hour or so, briefly start, turn off, check level, repeat, or simplly go on a couple of short drives. Truth be known, other than keeping the level correct, "bleeding" isn't really needed, it will happen in a couple of short drive cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom