Start up issue / Fuel flow issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 100 Series 1HD FTE GX

Howdy all.

The 100 has never missed a beat. Still stock standard but changed over to a 12V starter setup many years ago. Two days ago wife took the 100 around the block. Drove back to the house and then to work. Couple of hours later she wouldn't start (Starter goes, battery fine, sounds like she is not getting diesel). I fiddled around and noticed that the primer pump went soft. Primed a bit and she started. Drove her a bit. Stopped and same thing happend. Primed again, put new hose clamps around the primer pump cause hoses felt a bit loose. Now in the mornings ( Its getting cold here in South Africa) she starts on the second try. I drive her to work (about 5km) and when I switch her off she doesn't want to start directly afterwards. Give her a hour of so and she goes again fine the rest of the day no worries... Im stumped? Maybe glow plugs or can it be the diesel pump?

There is some electrical plugs on the pump, make sure they are connected properly. It could be air getting in also. I connected some clear hose between filter and injection pump and got this. Mine was pretty bad but you get the idea.

There is some electrical plugs on the pump, make sure they are connected properly. It could be air getting in also. I connected some clear hose between filter and injection pump and got this. Mine was pretty bad but you get the idea.

Thanx Rosco... Any chance you could send a picture of the connectors on the pump? This is an intermittent problem so it sounds like electrical....

I dont have a 1HD FTE, but I have seen a similar problem with others. From memory there are some connectors and wiring coming from top of the injection pump .It can show up as fault code.

Actually its that black plastic thing on the side of the pump I was thinking of

If your primer is soft you are sucking air from somewhere.
Clear 5/8" hose from fuel filter out to IP in.
I have seen new filter housings leak, suspect all fittings!
You can also run a clear hose into a clean container of diesel a see if there is a difference.
Primers should get stiff within two pumps.

All righty guys and gals... Update... I think I got lucky. Chip in the key came loose! That's why it intermittently worked and then not. Depending on where in the key body the chip was.

Just with regards to the air in the fuel system comments: Smart guys told me that air in diesel systems don't fix themselves and primer pumps go softer when the engines run. So that cancelled that out.

If it was fuel pumps it would not give met intermittent problems as well. Apparently they either work or not.

Thank you all for the tips!

If it was fuel pumps it would not give met intermittent problems as well.

True but if the wiring going into them is loose it can cause intermittent operation because the pump relies on a signal from a computer.

Smart guys told me that air in diesel systems don't fix themselves and primer pumps go softer when the engines run.

As the pump uses the fuel the pressure drops, quite simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom