input/output shaft seal size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I had a h55f tranny swapped for my 4-speed but the e-brake drum behind the t-case was reinstalled (I was told 60 series didn't have that drum behind the t-case). I have a slight leak of t-case oil between the sleeve that bolts onto the t-case and the backing plate. I assume it's coming from the seal. Is that the output or input shaft seal that goes between the t-case and the e-brake assembly?. My main question is whether that seal is the same as the FJ40 seal. I just got through replacing brake shoes, springs, drum, and cable for the e-brake and now this. I've attached a photo where the leak is (my fingernail pointing to it) and the seal I got in the e-brake kit. Is that an input or output shaft seal? Thanks in advance.

IMG-0188.JPG

IMG-0189.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes a shaft (or seal) can be called either name depending on which end of the assembly you're refering to.

For example, the transmission output shaft is also the transfer case input shaft.

If two components are bolted together, like your transfer case and parking brake, whatever component holds the seal "owns" that seal. In your case, if the seal is installed in the transfer case, iIt's a transfer case output seal. If its installed in the parking brake assembly, it's the parking brake input seal

Sometimes a shaft (or seal) can be called either name depending on which end of the assembly you're refering to.

For example, the transmission output shaft is also the transfer case input shaft.

If two components are bolted together, like your transfer case and parking brake, whatever component holds the seal "owns" that seal. In your case, if the seal is installed in the transfer case, iIt's a transfer case output seal. If its installed in the parking brake assembly, it's the parking brake input seal
Thanks. That clarifies it. By looking at it, do you know if the seal in the photo I attached is the t-case output seal? I would think so because it came with the e-brake kit, but not sure.

The seal should have part numbers on it. You can usually "google" or do a search for that, and you will likely find application information.
Good luck.

I'm not familiar with the e-brake assembly, but I assume (since it is a brake) it doesn't contain any oil. If I had to guess, I'd say the transfer case output shaft seal is leaking since the transfer case is definitely (half) full of oil. Once you remove the brake it should be clear where that seal goes

I'm not familiar with the e-brake assembly, but I assume (since it is a brake) it doesn't contain any oil. If I had to guess, I'd say the transfer case output shaft seal is leaking since the transfer case is definitely (half) full of oil. Once you remove the brake it should be clear where that seal goes
The bummer is I had everything apart to replace the cable, springs, etc. but because the t-case had been drained, there was no leak visible. When I put it back together, the leak appeared. Not sure what happened in the process to cause it to leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom