Is A Front Sway Bar Drop Bracket Needed for A 2" Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am seeing differing information about whether drop brackets are needed for the front sway bar with a 2" lift. (I have the TJM 2" lift.)

Is the only issue whether the front sway bar will contact the drive shaft under full shock extension? If so, my shocks are identical in length to stock (leading me to think I don't need drop brackets). If there is some other issue (geometry when not extended, etc.) please let me know.

I'm open to everyone's perspective here. Please, fire away.

Thanks for your input.

The contact is effected by two things, shock length and caster correction. The best way to tell is, jack it up, support from the frame, slowly lower the axle to full droop, or as far as it will go until contact. If there is contact, loosen the sway bar bolts enough to get needed room, that is how much spacer you need. In most cases, with "standard" lifts, little if any spacer is needed.

I more or less followed the steps listed by ToolsRUs and thought I had ample clearance with the spacers I used. Turned out that in real world wheeling I was still getting some contact on the dust seal on my front driveshaft. I needed another .5" of spacer to fix this. So maybe give yourself a bit more room than you think you need. Not going to hurt anything but having a slightly taller spacer.
Driveshaft.jpg

I emailed Slee a few months ago asking the same question with the OME med kit. (2.5") He said only reason to add drop bracket would be if I I wanted to limit up travel due to larger tires rubbing.

I emailed Slee a few months ago asking the same question with the OME med kit. (2.5") He said only reason to add drop bracket would be if I I wanted to limit up travel due to larger tires rubbing.
I think there may have been a misunderstanding with bumpstop drop brackets. That’s what would limit up travel, not the swaybar brackets.

Maybe Amory read the email wrong? I suppose it's possible. Subject was titled Sway Bar Drop Bracket:
Me:
Good morning. I've purchased your sway bar bracket and drop block for 97 landcruiser. I've installed the OME medium kit. 851/860. Stock front bumper, stock rear bumper, slee sliders. Is there a benefit to installing the bracket and drop blocks on the shorter lifts? Thanks for your time.
Amory (Slee):
Hello Todd,
In short no, unless you want to limit the up travel in the suspension for oversized tires for example. Otherwise they're not necessary or required.

@Box Rocket , now thinking about it, you are probably right. I think Amory must have read it wrong. Bumpstops would make more sense in limiting uptravel. I'm sure he is super busy, and I just took him at his word and didn't install them. (Sway bar bracket and sway bar block). They are still in my garage so now I'm not sure if they are needed.

@Box Rocket , now thinking about it, you are probably right. I think Amory must have read it wrong. Bumpstops would make more sense in limiting uptravel. I'm sure he is super busy, and I just took him at his word and didn't install them. (Sway bar bracket and sway bar block). They are still in my garage so now I'm not sure if they are needed.

If you have them, throw them on, it's not going to hurt anything if they weren't needed, but might save some parts from wearing if they are needed.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your replies.

If you are lifted, you should have a swaybar block (in front) of equal height installed, and bracket extensions for the rear swaybar.

The best setup is to have sway bars parallel with the ground. But if off road is in the plan, having stuff tucked up is good, so compromise. Dragging them on rocks is not good for them, have bent/broken a bunch of them, so we go with the minimum spacer required to clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom