Builds LJ78...Shooting for 250hp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiserheads - for your reading pleasure.. as always your valued input is greatly appreciated.. I'm a sponge for your great ideas.. but i will steal them.. ha ha
I'm working on the designs & mods for my Phase II 2L-TE.. planning to reach 250hp on my LJ78. projected beta testing - 4Q 2019.....
Here's the basics:

Software simulations:
1) FEA (finite element analysis) analysis of mechanical components.. simulates mechanical performance under high loads
2) Thermodynamic analysis ... will work all the air, fuel, & compression systems

Mech mods:
1) new 3L head.. ported & polished.. larger int/exh valves, with cam regrind.. ceramic coated valves & head passages
2) intake & exhaust manifolds ported & polished.. ceramic coated int & ext
3) new supercharger from Toyota Previa (Aisin with electric clutch) upstream of turbo.. mounts where a/c compressor was.. even uses same a/c relays & wiring.& belt tensioners/pulleys.
controls logic will be from stand alone ecm computer
4) new internally & externally thermal transfer intercooler between supercharger & turbo inlet
3) CT20.. both sides ceram. ctd. int & ext... electric pop off valve variable setting psig.. from 12 to 25 psig
4) block..do the normal high performance mods..crank polish.. hd rods.. custom hp special metallurgy bearings.. etc..
5) high flow oil pump w/ larger id lines..

Fuel system mods:
1) new cng (compressed natural gas) injection system .. kinda like a nitrous system in a gas engine.
2) injection pump.. custom high pressure common rail system .. might steal a lexus IS220d system from europe:)
3) exhaust.. int & ext coated 3" or 4" SS super shorty lakeside style.. cherry bomb/thrush muffler (look it up on the net)

Cooling system mods:
1) new aluminum rad with integrated supercharger intercooler
2) Electric Davies Craig variable speed water pump
3) fan assisted oil cooler
4) new upgraded tranny oil cooler

I'm estimating a 4 month design/analysis window.. & a 2 month build (a complete engine will e fabricated.. 6 weeks & 2 week R&R of existing phase I engine
Cheers
kudos to Donny at Caps Coatings in Fresno, California.. the is spearheading mech mods #'s 1 & 2

more to come.. hope this wets all cruiserhead"s appetites!!
Cheers

250 HP out of a 2Lt ...... wow I am gonna be following this

Couple days ago met an aussie in Elko Nevada whose mate has built a dyno'd 450 hp 79 series.. saw the dyno print outs.. + outrageous videos... this bloke paid someone else for design & build.. me I'm doing this "on the cheap" relatively speaking... doing all design & build "in house" :)

Can you make a video, I want to see the "KABOOM" moment.

Mr. Rosco.. great idea..be glad to make a video.. I'll call up some buddies who do special effects for movies.. would you and your cruiser like to be part of the video??
Cheers

Wow, sheesh that's a tall order for a 2lt I'll be impressed to say the least. I like reliability and am just not to sure about a 250hp 2lt in that conversation, i envisage legs out of bed. Are we talking whp?

250 whp would truly be a Mount Everest ... but who knows.. all I'm really after is grunt in the 1500 - 3500 rpm range.. but peak hp would be at 3500 - 4000 rpm.. with cng injection on and supercharger engaged.. not my normal driving setup.. just to blow the doors off v8 diesel "kings" 3 - 4 minutes tops
Cheers

I'm going to watch this. Thats a steep goal going from an 80's technology 97hp engine, but I'm in!

Similar...sorta.

An Jetta TDI, ALH motor is a 4 cylinder, 1.9L turbo making 90hp stock. Getting to 250 on an ALH usually requires somewhere around the following:
much bigger turbo than stock
much bigger injectors
Custom tuning
Bigger Injection pump
pistons/rods (now I don't know about the 2LT if those pistons are capable of 250hp stock)
different head studs
Head porting
different cam
upgraded oil cooler
upgraded intercooler
upgraded exhaust/intake
stronger valve springs

And this is a vehicle with a ton of aftermarket support. Good luck on this it will be interesting to follow. I think you are following the basic recipe correctly, I'm not sure you are going to have all the parts you need to do it though.

Last edited:
Lzyfrm.. thanks for the feedback.. I kinda got a gut feeling that the ci (cast iron) block is plenty strong... and to me that's the critical elment.. as torsional flexing has to be kept to a minimum.. I'll know for sure when I do the simulations in my fea software.. as far as the turbo.. since I am adding a supercharger upstream of it I feel the CT20 is just fine
Cheers

250 whp would truly be a Mount Everest ... but who knows.. all I'm really after is grunt in the 1500 - 3500 rpm range.. but peak hp would be at 3500 - 4000 rpm.. with cng injection on and supercharger engaged.. not my normal driving setup.. just to blow the doors off v8 diesel "kings" 3 - 4 minutes tops
Cheers

If that is your goal why not start with a 15BFT engine in it that has way more potential to get to your goal and stays in one piece after a few runs ?

The 250 hp out of the 2LT would still leave you short aside on most of these cummins and powerstrokes and duramax modded trucks

JK..For me its proving the much maligned 2L-TE engine can be modded & bulletproofed.. and stay true to my LJ78.. plus I enjoy achieving things which I've been told can't be done!!

JK..For me its proving the much maligned 2L-TE engine can be modded & bulletproofed.. and stay true to my LJ78.. plus I enjoy achieving things which I've been told can't be done!!

Good luck with it then ,fyi I bought my first LJ73 in 1995 and loved the little 2LT in it . I added an intercooler and turned the fuel up a bit and that was just enough for daily driving on 33's. The sure deserve a bit more appreciation then they do ……. the 2LT that is not the LTE ;)

how much are you really proving about the 2L-TE if you're already ditching the head for a 3L head.

The stock 10mm 2LTE injection pump can only provide enough fuel for about 130-140hp. To reach 250hp you'll have to inject a hell of a lot of CNG (120hp worth). To make use of all the fuel you're going to need more air than the CT20 can provide. I'm thinking closer to 30psi or more. Turbo upgrade needed. Now at 21:1 compression ratio, I'm thinking all that will make the 2LTE go boom. At 30psi the heat of the compressed air before diesel injection will be so high that your CNG will self ignite when the piston is only half way up. Bent rods....

You can't adapt a common rail DI injection system to an IDI engine. The injectors have the wrong spray pattern. IDI is a narrow spray, DI is a wide spray meant for a combustion bowl in the top of the piston. Also, DI engines run lower compression ratio. I think for your power goals you should be going with a 1KD-FTV.

Anyhow, all power too you. Looking forward to dyno plots! o_O Dynojet or Mustang please.

would you and your cruiser like to be part of the video??
Nope , I like my diesels utterly dependable. I have other toys which are fast and dependable. You could throw your money into another engine like the 15BT and 1KD FTV already mentioned and maybe get something that will last. Or just go out and buy a HDJ81 and be almost there with a stock engine
Its your money. We've had lots of owners come through here and make all kinds of promises of outrageous HP/TORQUE only to have them disappear and never return. Looking forward to someone who can pull it off.

Nope , I like my diesels utterly dependable. I have other toys which are fast and dependable. You could throw your money into another engine like the 15BT and 1KD FTV already mentioned and maybe get something that will last. Or just go out and buy a HDJ81 and be almost there with a stock engine
Its your money. We've had lots of owners come through here and make all kinds of promises of outrageous HP/TORQUE only to have them disappear and never return. Looking forward to someone who can pull it off.
Mr. Roscoe.. thanks for your insight.. I'm so sorry you have been disappointed so many times before by cruiserhead dreamers :( .. the only reason I do this stuff is to just that.. do it... I've already broached 1200f egt's & run hours at well over 1100f.. I don't mind constructive criticism.. but just bashing for bashings sake?? I'll tell you the truth.. everytime I get feedback that it cant be done makes me more engaged mentally to do it... my Phase I mechanical upgrades posts used to get lots of bashing as well.. till I did it & now the bashers have moved out of town :)
Cheers

how much are you really proving about the 2L-TE if you're already ditching the head for a 3L head.

They're basically identical from a performance standpoint, so I don't think this really plays into it anyhow.

The stock 10mm 2LTE injection pump can only provide enough fuel for about 130-140hp. To reach 250hp you'll have to inject a hell of a lot of CNG (120hp worth). To make use of all the fuel you're going to need more air than the CT20 can provide. I'm thinking closer to 30psi or more. Turbo upgrade needed. Now at 21:1 compression ratio, I'm thinking all that will make the 2LTE go boom. At 30psi the heat of the compressed air before diesel injection will be so high that your CNG will self ignite when the piston is only half way up. Bent rods....

You can't adapt a common rail DI injection system to an IDI engine. The injectors have the wrong spray pattern. IDI is a narrow spray, DI is a wide spray meant for a combustion bowl in the top of the piston. Also, DI engines run lower compression ratio. I think for your power goals you should be going with a 1KD-FTV.

Anyhow, all power too you. Looking forward to dyno plots! o_O Dynojet or Mustang please.
Mr. GTSSC... there is a balance between fuel delivery & thermal efficiency.. the higher the thermal efficiency the less fuel is required to achieve the same output.. I'm already getting more than your max hp #'s with the original denso pump, Japanese resistors & stock injectors.. sometimes I feel that forum information is totally based on Fred Flintstone technology.. me.. I've been doing mechanical & controls design optimization for more than 50 years.. so I agree to disagree
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom