Tractor mounted shooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Calling all rednecks! All you shooters with lawn tractors just sitting there mowing the lawn.
No Date has been set yet, just an idea at this point.

In a nutshell, next week is Heather's birthday (a big one) and we went to town shopping today. I bought her a Henry 410 lever action shotgun, 20" barrel. She bought herself a Husqvarna 354XD Garden tractor. So we joked about getting a scabbard and mounting it to the tractor. You know, for varmints and neighbors. Anyway it led to Mounted tractor shooting contest with a course laid out.

Lawn & Garden tractors only 30 HP max
Standard and zero turn permitted
Stock models only, no modifications to steering etc
Mower deck must operate and be present
One reload required per circuit
Shot gun (bird shot) and pistol only no fully automatic weapons
Score is time plus say 10 seconds per miss (possibly more depending on length of course

We are thinking 4 targets, drive and shoot four, scabbard your weapon, drive loop at end, stop and reload, drive same four in opposite direction and shoot across yourself in the opposite direction.

Additional archery course for those interested

Last edited:
OMG I love this. I wish we were closer and didn't have this f'ing lead anchor of a business hauling us down into the abyss of hell.

Sorry, drinking a lot of triple IPAs tonight.

Who the hell can pass up on a chance to shoot off your lawn mower for time and score and best BRAGGING RIGHTS.

The lawn mower racing association started somewhere

Participants must be sober at the time of the competition, afterword sobriety is discouraged

That's kind of like the Biathlon, except you travel on a ride-on-mower instead of x-country skis, and you have a .410 instead of a rifle.

It'll be an Olympic event in 10 years.

Stan- This sounds like a hoot! Wish I wasn’t 14 hours away.
Give Heather the best birthday wishes from the Callahans.

one rule to add... you must be actually mowing the lawn at the same time

damn....I gave my mower away to mike sontag, have "pewters" and ammo. will travel...

If I didn't already have plans for a crawfish boil I would be all over this......

No blades turning, shooting seems to be enough potential liability. That and Heather does not want he paddock scalped.

There is no specific date for this yet, just an idea

I just picked up a Husqvarna TS348D, almost identical to the TS354XD. This definitely sounds like a fun event.

BTW, my Husqy required a lot of tuning. The mower deck was 1" out of level from left to right, the tow was 3/4" in, and steering wheel wasn't centered. The XD comes with LED bulbs but I upgraded my halogen bulbs to LED.

@lumbee1 Give him a bucket and a sponge, then tell him there's a fifty for him if he keeps it that clean until he goes to college. Oh, and maybe give Sarah $50 to never say anything about that deal.

Congrats on the new house.

I just picked up a Husqvarna TS348D, almost identical to the TS354XD. This definitely sounds like a fun event.

BTW, my Husqy required a lot of tuning. The mower deck was 1" out of level from left to right, the tow was 3/4" in, and steering wheel wasn't centered. The XD comes with LED bulbs but I upgraded my halogen bulbs to LED.

View attachment 1976857

Congrats on the new house and garden tractor. Did you buy yours at a big box store? These tractors are delivered as a "kit" and are assembled by the seller. We drove to Easley to a dealer. The idea is that a seasoned person put it together. Get it at Home Depot and a guy that was working in lumber last week probably assembled it.

One thing we really liked is the locking rear diff, we have a lot of hills and that feature will come in handy. We went 54" because we cut about 3.5 acres of lawn and another couple acres of paddocks. Already changed out the headlights huh. LOL just cant help ourselves can we.

Congrats on the new house and garden tractor. Did you buy yours at a big box store? These tractors are delivered as a "kit" and are assembled by the seller. We drove to Easley to a dealer. The idea is that a seasoned person put it together. Get it at Home Depot and a guy that was working in lumber last week probably assembled it.

One thing we really liked is the locking rear diff, we have a lot of hills and that feature will come in handy. We went 54" because we cut about 3.5 acres of lawn and another couple acres of paddocks. Already changed out the headlights huh. LOL just cant help ourselves can we.
The big box stores don't carry the garden tractor line, only the lower end models. We went to a dealer/service center for Husqvarna, Stihl, and Toro. Really friendly place. We won't use the locking diff but the D model came with huge upgrades over the non-D model.

I guess I will go over ours with a critical eye once we get it home. Did they try to sell you on the Husqvarna gas at $14 a gallon. The owner where we went was on a tear. He has about a dozen bottles of crappy fuel he has taken out of machines in his shop. He claimed that 80% of service work in their shop is fuel related.

I guess I will go over ours with a critical eye once we get it home. Did they try to sell you on the Husqvarna gas at $14 a gallon. The owner where we went was on a tear. He has about a dozen bottles of crappy fuel he has taken out of machines in his shop. He claimed that 80% of service work in their shop is fuel related.
No. When I went to Hudson's Hardware in Garner, I was dead set on getting the TS348XD. The sales person we worked with was very open and honest and said the XD just really wasn't worth the extra money. He also swayed us from getting the Husqvarna dump cart since it was $100 more than the generic one they carry and built the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom