Rust advice on FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I’m checking out this super cool FJ62 which looks perfect everywhere except the chassis. I know rust can be a total killer but I want to know everyone’s opinion on the rust on this rig. I live in the Midwest to a little rust is ok with me. It’s got 160k miles for $8500

BF12F0F8-79C5-419E-A1B6-0B87863A4C2C.jpeg

D599E117-57DB-45B8-80CA-B67AD999AA4D.jpeg

B364BDB1-33E8-4EE9-8CEB-E43F5DA64F35.jpeg

A6390849-1452-4E2D-9461-8A299E0DD052.jpeg

DFB2A739-481B-489C-A88F-15CFE176F667.jpeg

That's not significant at all. Around here, that's known as "no rust". Once you buy it, wire brush it & slap some paint on it if you're feeling energetic. Frame looks really good.

If you want to see what real rust looks like, google "FJ60 rusty frame" & view the nightmares

That's not significant at all. Around here, that's known as "no rust". Once you buy it, wire brush it & slap some paint on it if you're feeling energetic. Frame looks really good.

If you want to see what real rust looks like, google "FJ60 rusty frame" & view the nightmares
So do you think at 8500$ it’s worth a purchase?

YMMV significantly from my opinion and that's well and good.
With what the market has been recently that FJ62 looks like a $12K+ rig if it is solid mechanically and isn't toast otherwise.
Research recent sales on bringatrailer.com for where my opinion is based on but location plays a very important part of the equation on value.

YMMV significantly from my opinion and that's well and good.
With what the market has been recently that FJ62 looks like a $12K+ rig if it is solid mechanically and isn't toast otherwise.
Research recent sales on bringatrailer.com for where my opinion is based on but location plays a very important part of the equation on value.
Yea every single belt, tube, and fluid has been replaced. Brand new speakers, tires, and ARB bumper on it.

umm, I hate to slow you down, but the pictures aren't really showing the areas that rust through.
Have you got pictures of the inside of the frame by the exhaust near the rear wheel frame perch, or better yet, can you try to stick a screwdriver through that area?

And what does the C channel look like?

All it takes is one small area that's gone really bad, and the thing will fold in half in the backcountry...
I'm seeing a lot more rust on this frame than the one that I replaced on my truck...

It could be solid under there, but I'd want to spend an hour with a hammer and a chisel to see how deep those flakes go.

^^^x2. Look at rear c-channel areas and rear shock tube area.

Don’t waste your time researching sales on Bring a Trailer. This truck is not close to being in the same league. It’s a well worn fj62 with a poor quality repaint (by the sellers admission), dents and missing parts.

If you want a truck to go 4 wheeling, this could be a decent platform. I agree with the others though, photos of the rear 2ft of the frame...

Start with the most rust free framed truck you can find. That frame looks like it's been sitting under the ocean. I'd suggest looking in the southwest US.

You said "looks perfect everywhere" but I disagree. It's missing the rear bumper end caps, the gutter trim at the rear, and the rear wiper. The springs look flat and worn, and the shocks look to be old too. There is a brake line hanging down that should be mounted on the inside of the frame. What color is that? Was it repainted some custom color? The grill and toyota emblem have been painted flat black and looks ghetto.

I've seen sorrier looking trucks. That truck may not be unsalvagable, but as a newbie, you may want to set your sights higher, unless you want a project.

If you end up being drawn back to it, please post a lot more frame and underside photos (undersides of hatch and each door, as well). Also, realize that a quality repaint is $3500-7000, so factor that into your pricing. It needs a lot of little things and (gag) those hood pins make me cringe. Must be there to keep the hood from flying open when the truck exceeds 130 mph!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom