The Bicycle Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Running 10psi for a race today. Slick as snot

12 years ago I bought a couple of these Black Friday Krate bikes on close-out. IIRC they were marked down to $40. I’ve got a green one stashed in storage and a black one that I never even took out of the box. Great looking bikes. Horrible build quality. I see prices for these all over the place from $100 to $300.

Image stolen from interwebz.

I wish this rain would stop so I could just ride my bike.

I got three for it so far so if you want in that will give us 4

More details. How was it?

It was a lot of fun, just muddy as hell. Our goal was to improve on our fall score, which we did so we were happy.

Madone 4.7. Carbon fibre bliss.

ONSC Bikers - I try to ride 286/crabtree/umstead most weekends if anyone wants to come. I leave from my house or can meet you at the Crabtree CReek parking or we can park at the entrance of 286. These trails are not hard just fast and fun. I don't go when it is muddy, ih8mud....especially on a MTB.

@Pick Hit Forest Ridge the other day and have the itch to get back out there again!! Love the ORC area, Beaver Dam and New Light...

WHere is forest ridge, ORC area and Beaver Dam? What kind of trails? Easy, medium or hard? Worth the drive out there? I am in Raleigh near Crabtree and work in Durham. I can go after work as well.

Have you tried 286?

@uzj100
ORC = Old Reedy Creek Road, really just a code name for 286 and RR since they're unsanctioned.
Forest Ridge is a new Wake County park in the Wakefield area; only about ~3 miles but fast & flowy - VERY easy but fun
Beaverdam is a state park that has ~13 miles of single track (one direction only) just across the water from New Light; a lot of roots here but pretty good elevation changes.

286 is where I ride the most. Last year, I would ride all ~19 miles in about 2.5 - 2.75 hours. not fast, just a good pace for me. Doubt I could do that now but trying to get back there

I'll see if I can join you one weekend at 286. I have 3 active kids in high school so most of my weekends (and pretty much all my other time) is booked. I'm usually a last minute solo rider but love getting out with others...

@Pick understood. 286 is my favorite. I have found 14 miles but no further. I always get turned around out there. Love the fast and flowy and the creek crossings. I have 2 HS's as well and usually ride solo.

I ride an old Specialized Carbon Comp Epic with a few mods - please stop me if you see me.

bike pic.jpg

286 is my favorite as well, best trail in the triangle IMO. It took me a long time to figure out how to get around out there and I know there are some pieces I miss when I do (what I think) is all the trail. Since the internet is for pictures... here are my rides:
2012 Trek Rumblefish (the Lazy Boy) so comfortable and fits me perfectly. 120mm f/r
2018 Marin Attack Trail (more bike than skill) 160mm f/r I really have no business owning a bike with this much travel
???? Kona Honzo bought a new take off frame and built with mostly new parts 130mm f

Rumblefish_286.jpg

MarinAT7_stand.jpg

cub creek.jpg

@Pick awesome rides!

XC ride is only 100 mm of travel

Last edited:
I test drove a 2011 carbon epic when I bought my rumblefish. It felt like the bike would lurch forward with every pedal stroke, so light and fast. I wasn't very knowledgeable about bikes then and didn't know I could adjust the cockpit - it was just a little too aggressive and cramped for me. Plus, I was VERY nervous about carbon. The rumblefish has been an amazing bike though, no regrets whatsoever. I enjoy buying/building bikes and have tried to replace it a few times and just can't find anything better. I'm sure one day 12x142 will be obsolete and I'll be forced out but until then I'm riding it 🤣

I'm not a big jumper but want to get better at it (hence the Marin purchase last year). I LOVE that small jump line leaving the 'north' loop. It's like 3 or 4 small jumps in a row blasting down that hill - so fun. Hope to work up to some bigger ones, its just always in the back of my mind that I heal a lot slower than 20 years ago.

We go to Myrtle a few times a year and I LOVE the Hulk down there. Always take my Honzo... they've added a couple of fun jumps and drops there too.

hulk_honzo.jpg

hulk drop.jpg

@Pick I LOVE that small jump line leaving the 'north' loop. It's like 3 or 4 small jumps in a row blasting down that hill - so fun. - is this in reference to the middle entrance on 286? That is an awesome start.

That myrtle trail looks fun.

The biggest jumps I have done are coming out of dupont forest, full steam ahead, jump after jump.

Almost everything on my bike is carbon (including rear triangle that was a warranty replacement since Specilaized no longer stocks aluminum rear triangles), I weight about 180. Carbon front fork and front wheel are next. Trying to get into the 22s.

My biking is my cardio and my fun and the budget does not allow for multiple bikes. ;<)

All these parts are from Craigs, ebay, and pink bike.

is this in reference to the middle entrance on 286? That is an awesome start.
It is in the middle of the trail but I've never started anywhere other than Old Reedy Creek Rd so maybe so. I've heard of people starting from the hotel parking lot off Aviation, maybe that's a shortcut to it?? Here's a quick highlight from a Strava ride; I think it's somewhere in this area...

286.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom