Gear Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
I a 99% sure I need to rebuild my transfer-case.

I have output shaft play up and down. And when in 4x4 low under extreme load it can pop out of 4x4 into N. It cannot be bungie to hold it. And It's only occurred a few times.

I also found many years ago my transfer case was sending oil into the tranny and over filling it. It lived like this probably for many years. Oil starved on the t-case and overfilled tranny.

I have gear noise. I cannot identify the source. But I hear it thru the floor.

I get the kind shhhhww sound that comes and goes with the gas pedal. Also it makes grrr sound when you touch the shifter. I really notice the noise when I am descending on a hill free coasting no throttle, but clutch is not pushed in.

It's an h55f and split case. Behind a 3B.

I changed my clutch 40K miles ago. No idea if any bearings were changed.

It seems to shift "Okay". sometimes it can be a little hard to get into gear. But it holds gears and holds 5th really well.

So I don't know if all my sound is coming from the transfer case alone.

I'm also not sure on my rear diff if it's set up right. But that might be additional noise I hear at higher speeds.

My biggest issue is point of reference. There is literally no other 60 series for like 500 miles around me. I don't even know of any other Land cruisers in my town, or near by. When I lived in BC they were everywhere. But in Northern Ontario it's extremely rare. I guess they all rusted away. I've driven this cruiser for 16 years. SO I don't know what a good t-case sounds like...

I have about 200k miles on this cruiser.

Ok I just blew up my rear pinion in the diff. The transmission and t case will vibrate differently as a way to track it down. When my Diff was going, the t case shifter vibrated and the transmission just had a slight vibration. Check up and down play on the flange and shake the driveline

I a 99% sure I need to rebuild my transfer-case.

I have output shaft play up and down. And when in 4x4 low under extreme load it can pop out of 4x4 into N. It cannot be bungie to hold it. And It's only occurred a few times.

I also found many years ago my transfer case was sending oil into the tranny and over filling it. It lived like this probably for many years. Oil starved on the t-case and overfilled tranny.

I have gear noise. I cannot identify the source. But I hear it thru the floor.

I get the kind shhhhww sound that comes and goes with the gas pedal. Also it makes grrr sound when you touch the shifter. I really notice the noise when I am descending on a hill free coasting no throttle, but clutch is not pushed in.

It's an h55f and split case. Behind a 3B.

I changed my clutch 40K miles ago. No idea if any bearings were changed.

It seems to shift "Okay". sometimes it can be a little hard to get into gear. But it holds gears and holds 5th really well.

So I don't know if all my sound is coming from the transfer case alone.

I'm also not sure on my rear diff if it's set up right. But that might be additional noise I hear at higher speeds.

My biggest issue is point of reference. There is literally no other 60 series for like 500 miles around me. I don't even know of any other Land cruisers in my town, or near by. When I lived in BC they were everywhere. But in Northern Ontario it's extremely rare. I guess they all rusted away. I've driven this cruiser for 16 years. SO I don't know what a good t-case sounds like...

I have about 200k miles on this cruiser.

My money is on the rear diff. Thats exactly what mine did about an hour ago before it grenaded on the freeway. Clutch in and noise goes away. Whining at higher speeds and shifter vibration.

Well, you're on the right path to rebuild before failure.

All of these Cruisers are at extreme mileage.

Rebuilding the transfer and rear differential will likely solve your problems. And not crazy money relative to the value of your cruiser.

It does sound like the H55 is OK. Good luck. Having been through the rebuild process, it does buy you a lot of time. I'm 50K miles into a t-case rebuild and going strong.

And for the record, a split case with good bearings, doesn't really make any odd noises.

Perfect, so going to hit the rear diff and t-case at the same time.

I'll skip the H55F rebuild right now too. As it does open a bit of a can of worms. Pilot bearings, maybe clutch again, rear main seal...

On some peoples t-case rebuild they show taping an oil passage and plugging it. What is that all about? Trying to stop the movement of oil between the tranny and case?

I've been running a filer to filler hose for about a decade. Even after rebuild I'll probably run it too. As I feel its more of a vent and equalizer and less of a fluid movement.

There is a bolt hole in the front transfer case that allowed the 4 speed to bolt through to the transfer case. It's a huge hole. That hole needs to be plugged when the 5 speed is installed because the 5 speed doesn't use that bolt. If the un needed bolt hole isn't plugged, oil will flow easily between the two cases. Best way to plug it is to tap it & screw in a brass NPT plug.

image.jpeg

I wonder if that hole will be there as my cruiser is a factory 5sp? I appreciate the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom