CBI Ditch Lights on GX470/Prado 120 install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had somebody bring me a pair from the States for my Prado. Of course, they don't come with install directions. It looks pretty simple from what I've seen on the truck and just looking at the bracket.

I've searched Mud and YouTube, found where people have installed them, but not how it was done on the GX470.

Any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

Did you follow the same procedure at the 4th Gen 4Runner? I don't see why I would have to pull the fender. To me, it looks like there is enough room, but I might have to pull the plastic cover on the cowl where the wiper mounts...

A pic of one installed would help make sure that what I think is correct.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I actually installed a set on a GX the other week and pulled the harness across through the hood and wired them through the firewall/vent space to the mounts. Ended up very clean, but I don't have pics as it was on a friend's rig.

Only close up picture I have. I trimmed the bracket to fit the snorkel.

DC9996AE-2013-4930-B042-198102BFAFE8.jpeg

Found a “before” picture

4E553103-9A35-4424-9358-79482147BE22.jpeg

Last edited:
The CBI does not bolt to the hood hinge. It bolt to the fender. I heard they are a bit harder to install that the one bolted straight to hood hinge.

I have Rago that are much easier to install.
I like the CBI look much better because it put the light much closer to the A pillar. It does not annoy / block the windshield too much. I bent some flat steel to move my light lower and closer to the A pillar.

The CBI does not bolt to the hood hinge. It bolt to the fender. I heard they are a bit harder to install that the one bolted straight to hood hinge.

I have Rago that are much easier to install.
I like the CBI look much better because it put the light much closer to the A pillar. It does not annoy / block the windshield too much. I bent some flat steel to move my light lower and closer to the A pillar.

That bracket is the bottom half of the hood hinge, doesn't it bolt up there with the new hardware?
IMG_20190504_153030175.jpg

Must be. The light does not move with the hood. Most other move the light with the hood.
Depend on other clearance needed one can be better. For example light size or snorkel clearance.

Must be. The light does not move with the hood. Most other move the light with the hood.
Depend on other clearance needed one can be better. For example light size or snorkel clearance.

Yes. It's not on the hood side, but the fender side of the hinge.

It looks like I have enough clearance and room to not have to unbolt the fender like the directions for the 4th 4Runner. But, I think I'll still have to remove the plastic cowling and the wiper there by the windshield. It looks like it will clear my snorkel with no problems too. I think the single mount stud on my LEDs are short too, so there shouldn't be interference there....

CBI bracket sits on top of the lower hood hinge. It might help to loosen the fender bolts to move it slightly out of the way.

6592A223-1BAB-4F2E-88DB-44C315EDECF6.jpeg

CBI bracket sits on top of the lower hood hinge. It might help to loosen the fender bolts to move it slightly out of the way.

Thanks! That's exactly how I thought it would go... After seeing your pic, I will definitely unbolt the fender to give myself some wiggle room. Eyeballing it, I didn't think I would have to. But that pic makes it look like it's a bit tight.

I got one side installed. I started with the left... Easy install. I did have to unbolt the fender and pull it back a bit.

Right side won't clear the snorkel... I'll have to trim it like @estoddart. Or, run just one... The passenger side (left for us) is where we really need coverage.

I routed the wires on my friend's GX470 into the bonnet vents from the firewall and routed across the truck through the hood (there are little holes you can fish it through). Made it super clean. Just heat shrinked connections and places that could wear and put a grommet on the hole in the fire wall. Clean!

I'll hold off wiring it in until I decide if I'll run two and trim the bracket...
IMG_20190531_132855703.jpg

Last edited:
That position is much better for the driver. Before you trim the bracket make sure you won't get annoyed looking to the back of the light from the driver's point of view.

I have to make extension on to my Rago bracket because the light was in my view all the time. I end up removing mine and only install it for trips.

To me ditch light on GX looks silly. But they are really useful on trail at night.

That position is much better for the driver. Before you trim the bracket make sure you won't get annoyed looking to the back of the light from the driver's point of view.

I have to make extension on to my Rago bracket because the light was in my view all the time. I end up removing mine and only install it for trips.

To me ditch light on GX looks silly. But they are really useful on trail at night.

I didn't think about the fact that if I trimmed it, it would be in my sight line. I'll measure, double check, and then decide. That might be annoying.

I think they look okay, I like the LED lights with a round housing, they look pretty good. But, yes, I just want light out to the sides for some trips here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom