Just bought front and rear cable lockers, what next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I just scored a deal of the century, saw a guy selling a front cable locker for the 60 for $325. Went to pick it up and he threw in a rear as well! Front is in a housing, and rear had been laying out in the rain, but I gave it a wire brush last night and turned out better than I expected!

I'm pretty new to diff rebuilds, so asking for some pointers as I start. Going to do front first, as I have a front axle with long spines, and then once that's in, I'll tackle rear (planning on getting my axle machined to get long splines, as I don't think I'll find a long spline axel - my luck is already spent on the lockers!

A few pics, do you guys reckon the ring gear is ok? Not sure the condition of mine - but these don't look too bad.

The bearing where the pinion enters the housing is shot on one of the lockers, I'll plan on pressing it out and putting in a new one. I hear people talking about how precise you need to be when setting these up - backlash and whatnot. Is it better to take this to a diff guy to dial it in? The one that's still complete on the housing - can I remove it and install it in my truck without getting it adjusted?

I'll attach some pics of the rear locker, I also took a video showing the mechanism for interested parties. In searching for one of these I really struggled to find pictures of how the cable locker functioned - I'll be adding a 50mm linear actuator to the housing, and wiring it up - in essence making an Elocker. I'll document the process on a seperate thread - but for now just wondering if anyone has any help to offer as I begin install.

To change the diff centre, do I just remove the hubs, slide the axels out a little bit, open the diff up and swap the centre out - and then reverse? (while also replacing the long side (for front) axel with long splined one. Seems too easy!

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2216.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

that's a steal !

If you are not clear how to rebuild a 3rd member .. take a look on Zuk ..

there are plenty options out there .. if you are decided to DIY read and watch plenty videos before you take that decision ..

That gear is fine it’s the bearings that are really important. Does it turn smoothly?
Great deal.

You will need to grind away some material on the axle housing mating flange,before trying to install the cable locker diff.
Doesn't need much but enough that the diff will not fitt in the axle housing.Has to do with the locker mechanisme itself. It is wider then a standard diff.
And you need to activate(Lock) the diff-locks before installing or whenever you want to take them out of the axle housing.

Last edited:
325 australian? that's even cheaper in US

did you get the levers and activation cables?

You will need to grind away some material on the axle housing mating flange,before trying to install the cable locker diff.
Doesn't need much but enough that the diff will not fitt in the axle housing.Has to do with the locker mechanisme itself. It is wider then a standard diff.
And you need to activate(Lock) the diff-locks before installing or whenever you want to take them out of the axle housing.

Thanks for the tip mate, I guess it will be pretty clear where to grind when I try and fit it in? Just on the mating flange to thin it out? (I would also need to trim a bit of the gasket) or some material out of the actual housing

Good tip on installing locked. Makes perfect sense, but totally something I would have missed and spent ages trying to get the splines to line up

325 australian? that's even cheaper in US

did you get the levers and activation cables?

Yea 325 Australian for rear locker, front locker, long spline front axle and front housing with 1x cv.... haha

I feel like I got the deal of the century. Front should be an easy install, rear will take some time getting the axel made up.

No cables or levers, but I’ll be adding a little eBay linear actuator to activate it - it will in essence operate like an e-locker

that's a steal !

If you are not clear how to rebuild a 3rd member .. take a look on Zuk ..

there are plenty options out there .. if you are decided to DIY read and watch plenty videos before you take that decision ..

Thanks for that I messsaged him, he’d never heard of the 60 series cable locked diffs, would have loved to ship it over to him to have a look at, but freight from Aussie to AZ would insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom