Carolina Relic Run 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the tires you are running, you got off easy. Just follow Dr. John's prescription, minus the $50, you're gonna need it.
I was shocked with how well those tires did! I agree that it could've been way worse.
Slowly those items will come along and I'll attempt tougher trails and bash up more parts

I won't be able to make the videos as early as I planned... so here is the raw video of Mitch. Hopefully I'll have nice videos of the weekend made in the coming weeks.

Damn, one more inch to the right and he would have been on his side, or maybe even his roof!

Slippery, now I see what happened there.

@apinti did you have the front locker engaged in the video above? It looks like the front wheels might’ve been spinning together which contributed to you sliding sideways quicker than normal? Or maybe it was just super slick. Always hard to tell from a video. Any learning points for those of us playing along at home?

@apinti did you have the front locker engaged in the video above? It looks like the front wheels might’ve been spinning together which contributed to you sliding sideways quicker than normal? Or maybe it was just super slick. Always hard to tell from a video. Any learning points for those of us playing along at home?
Yes, on both points. We were the last two trucks in the group, by now, the rock is wet and slippery
My first attempt to climb with only my rear diff failed due to the wrong tire pressure. Previous that morning I dropped to 18 front and 22 rear on cold tires. By the time we got on the trail I was about 4 psi hire. Too much tire pressure for that condition, so I engaged the front lockers. Being slightly off camber on a wet rock with fairly stiff tires will cause that type of situation. It was definitely a learning moment for me and I know that the Gods of Wheeling were looking out for me that morning.

Damn...I need a frickin' 40...STAT!
I'm right there with ya! And being around so many 40s and riding in quite a few didn't help

1969 FJ40 $5,000.00 firm

Pretty much all stock aside from Weber carb as far as I can see. No title

PM if interested

62329_703370303027197_1130211150_n.jpg

1597908_702472736450287_272083399_o.jpg

Yes, on both points. We were the last two trucks in the group, by now, the rock is wet and slippery
My first attempt to climb with only my rear diff failed due to the wrong tire pressure. Previous that morning I dropped to 18 front and 22 rear on cold tires. By the time we got on the trail I was about 4 psi hire. Too much tire pressure for that condition, so I engaged the front lockers. Being slightly off camber on a wet rock with fairly stiff tires will cause that type of situation. It was definitely a learning moment for me and I know that the Gods of Wheeling were looking out for me that morning.
I am thinking you may have lost the bead on that front right tire due to low tire pressure. 18 is low when bouncing a heavy 80 series around, no?

I run about 20 off-road in my heavy 60 series.
I go way lower in the sand.

Last edited:
200’s are cheaper to prep than repair if you’re gonna ‘wheel!

Lift
Tires
Armor
That $50 you owe me
Fridge
Started washing the rig off today. Looks like I need more armor and lift

View attachment 1965019

View attachment 1965020

Haha, there is still some uwharrie dirt left on my 62 from a year ago. Hard to get it off!

This is good 200 infos for me, I just purchased rear LCAs, and (somewhat reluctantly) rear shock protectors and rear LCA mount protection because @TRAIL TAILOR talked me into them. He says all the cool kids are banging these areas up.

1969 FJ40 $5,000.00 firm

Pretty much all stock aside from Weber carb as far as I can see. No title

PM if interested

62329_703370303027197_1130211150_n.jpg

1597908_702472736450287_272083399_o.jpg
Got any more info you can share on this one? Me likey.

Not to nit-pick, but no one had taken that line previously, that I recall, so wet rocks wasn't really a factor. There was a puddle prior to the climb, so wet tires could have been a contributing factor. Mitch was first up that line. I believe there is a good video from the top that helps frame the situation that lead to the side slip and near-flop.

Haha, there is still some uwharrie dirt left on my 62 from a year ago. Hard to get it off!

This is good 200 infos for me, I just purchased rear LCAs, and (somewhat reluctantly) rear shock protectors and rear LCA mount protection because @TRAIL TAILOR talked me into them. He says all the cool kids are banging these areas up.

That's the next purchase. I was debating on buying his rear LCA and shock guards since I hit them at flagpole in February. Definitely ordering those soon after seeing what's happening to them. I thought the sliders would help mitigate some hits from them and they did, but still managed to smash them up a bit.
I'm going to finish cleaning the 200 tomorrow and we'll see what other damage I find

I am thinking you may have lost the bead on that front right tire due to low tire pressure. 18 is low when bouncing a heavy 80 series around, no?

I run about 20 off-road in my heavy 60 series.
I go way lower in the sand.
I got stuck against a rock on that case. I never had a problem so far with 18 psi on my tires. I probably would have been Ok on higher pressure.

Not to nit-pick, but no one had taken that line previously, that I recall, so wet rocks wasn't really a factor. There was a puddle prior to the climb, so wet tires could have been a contributing factor. Mitch was first up that line. I believe there is a good video from the top that helps frame the situation that lead to the side slip and near-flop.
I've been thinking a lot about what happened there. It believe it was a combination of inadequate tire pressure, wet tires/ rock and engaging the front lockers at the wrong time. As far as the line goes, I don't think it was ideal, but I got up exactly the same line as soon as I recovered.

I took the same line as Mitch without a problem but hit it more straight on and have a shorter wheelbase.

I've been thinking a lot about what happened there. It believe it was a combination of inadequate tire pressure, wet tires/ rock and engaging the front lockers at the wrong time. As far as the line goes, I don't think it was ideal, but I got up exactly the same line as soon as I recovered.
When you ended up climbing that shelf you were a lot more head on instead of at an angle.
It was scary as heck seeing that from following! You are the first rig I have seen almost flip in person.

When you ended up climbing that shelf you were a lot more head on instead of at an angle.
It was scary as heck seeing that from following! You are the first rig I have seen almost flip in person.
So, I got to the shelf, and I was fairly ok lined up. I tried climbing and no luck due to tire pressure and the fact that my tires were all wet. I engaged the front lockers trying to make it over the shelf and that exactly on my front went sideways. The more I think the more I believe engaging that front lockers was a mistake j set the circumstances. Anyways, I've definitely learned something, so it's all good...😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom