What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the heater T's with brass from home depot. The old ones both broke on removal, and I had to fish out little pieces. My 1999 with 175k miles definitely needed it or it would have probably stranded me pretty soon.

I did drop one of the damn nuts that hold on the engine cover and couldn't find it.....so I guess I'm going cover less . It was a pretty easy job, but uncomfortable trying to get the clips off the hoses leaned all the way into the engine bay

View attachment 1963294
Did mine today....oem plastic. Gonna buy brass for the next time...

Hidden winch mount

Finally got some of the fluids changed today! Ordered crush washers and waited about three weeks for them, then they came a day before our camping trip and had no time. Mobil 1 10w30 in the engine, since I’ve noticed the oil pressure drops below the 1/4 mark while idling in gear sometimes (normal?). Most times while driving it stays right at the 1/4 mark, but cold starts are a little higher and coasting drops it some. New oil for the rear diff and t-case, but could not find that 10mm socket...so the front diff will have to wait. Took it for a shakedown run up into the mountains and saw four elk! Got up to about 9000’ elevation, but no included pics since we only took the DSLR, and not the iPad. One more question for the experts; my tires are pretty shot (not low on tread just wearing weirdly and heavy cupping). We will be doing a significant amount of off-roading but I do not want a ton of noise or huge hit in gas mileage. I have my appt. for a 4 wheel alignment, but can’t seem to narrow down which tires- besides keeping with A/T. Size is gonna be 275/65 18 (ish). Thanks!

Finally got some of the fluids changed today! Ordered crush washers and waited about three weeks for them, then they came a day before our camping trip and had no time. Mobil 1 10w30 in the engine, since I’ve noticed the oil pressure drops below the 1/4 mark while idling in gear sometimes (normal?). Most times while driving it stays right at the 1/4 mark, but cold starts are a little higher and coasting drops it some. New oil for the rear diff and t-case, but could not find that 10mm socket...so the front diff will have to wait. Took it for a shakedown run up into the mountains and saw four elk! Got up to about 9000’ elevation, but no included pics since we only took the DSLR, and not the iPad. One more question for the experts; my tires are pretty shot (not low on tread just wearing weirdly and heavy cupping). We will be doing a significant amount of off-roading but I do not want a ton of noise or huge hit in gas mileage. I have my appt. for a 4 wheel alignment, but can’t seem to narrow down which tires- besides keeping with A/T. Size is gonna be 275/65 18 (ish). Thanks!

Your oil pressure will drop at idle when warmed up.

Buy any good set of AT tires, I have loved the BFG KO2, Goodyear Duratracs and have heard good things about but haven’t run the Coopers. Stay away from the Toyo’s As they’re super heavy.

Air pressure and consistent rotation is key to making them wear correctly. Also, you should buy 5 if you’re gonna actually hit the dirt consistently. Then rotate all 5 tires.

Changed my oil today as well as the oil pressure sending unit. Used a K&N filter with Mobil1 5-w30. I broke 3 skid plate bolts into the frame so I guess I’ll learn how to extract broken bolts this week. Also, my heater tees are gonna blow soon! They’ve never been changed. Currently on 197,400 miles.

Trying to balance the “should do” list with the “wanna do” list: I changed the oil for the first time on this vehicle (dealer mech decided that “as tight as I can freaking get it” was the appropriate torque for the oil filter and the drain plug); and swapped out the heater tees. Indeed, one broke (closest to left fender wall) and the other is pristine. They’re stainless now, so hoses will be somewhere in my future. Also checked out a mild 4wd track in the S. Platte area above Cheesman Reservoir. Next time I’ll go with a map and a fly rod.
B171E392-CF31-4495-8B9B-3EF945DD3291.jpeg

Next up is a set of Drifta style drawers. Gathering supplies for that. Also bought a sheet of black King Starboard for a tailgate compartment lid. Time to get all of this loose stuff stowed away!

Last edited:
Bought another one! 2005 100 Series with 236K miles. Flew down to Albuquerque, bought it, hit stereo store and had BT-45 Toy Bluetooth installed. Cranked dive by truckers and Jeffrey Foucault for 6 hours at 82mph on cruise control and got back to Denver in time to watch Nuggets win game 7!

Plan is to take truck back east to Martha’s Vineyard and use it to pull my skiff and be the second beach truck. Great shape for so many miles, almost stock with 275 65 18s, so sits a little taller than with 31s. Ordered some wet Okolesvfor the front seats, put in yellow LED fogs, and some bright LED low beams. Truck came with a yotamd key and PFRAN leds inside, so not much more to do to it. Timing belt done recently and I had the heater Tees done as well.

No rust on the undercarriage at all, so need to investigate fluid film or some other undercoating to keep the rust from killing the truck, as it did the 1992 Range Rover it replaces.

My naughty brown dog inspected the vehicle and pronounced it a fine addition to the fleet.

BD84E1A3-5FC2-489A-A019-CF297C7E6EF8.jpeg

7622FCF0-DA81-4A7C-AFD3-DA8E0AFAA803.jpeg

0A3EC4DE-7D65-4234-8779-1D8BB58CE867.jpeg

ADE27CC2-F7CE-4EF1-B8C4-0EBEE7344FFC.jpeg

B4D6F322-F807-4B5A-8C28-C93A49441E09.jpeg

Finally installed the rear UCAs. Bushings were splitting pretty bad. Also greased the drive shaft and installed the beefy tow hooks bought from @TRAIL TAILOR
20190428_170645.jpg

Trying to balance the “should do” list with the “wanna do” list: I changed the oil for the first time on this vehicle (dealer mech decided that “as tight as I can freaking get it” was the appropriate torque for the oil filter and the drain plug); and swapped out the heater tees. Indeed, one broke (closest to left fender wall) and the other is pristine. They’re stainless now, so hoses will be somewhere in my future. Also checked out a mild 4wd track in the S. Platte area above Cheesman Reservoir. Next time I’ll go with a map and a fly rod. View attachment 1964031

Next up is a set of Drifta style drawers. Gathering supplies for that. Also bought a sheet of black King Starboard for a tailgate compartment lid. Time to get all of this loose stuff stowed away!

Those two are in significantly different conditions. Do you happen to remember which T is the one from the right and left (when facing from the front of the car)?

Spent a month or so really looking across the country for an LX 470 from either 06 or 07 and randomly found one an hour away from me - in decent shape with only 113K miles on her. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities or mechanical aptitude (yet) to do any of this but am looking forward to an amazing finished product.

It needed the timing belt and water pump done and given everything I've read I went overboard and did quite a bit of preventative maintenance. Passed on the kits as I didn't trust what I was seeing out there and with the breath of info out there I sourced all Toyota OEM parts for the service from an online dealer. It was actually a bit hard to find a shop that would perform the service but I found a Toyota dealer that was great to work with who also let me bring in my own OEM Toyota parts (their best parts pricing was still about $250 more) and didn't give me any crap about it.

Timing Belt & Water Pump Service (Dealer Instal & Online Parts Purchase) - Complete
- Timing Belt - 13568-09070
- Water Pump - 16100-09201
- Water Pump gasket - 16271-0F010
- Timing Tensioner - 13540-50030
- Serpentine Belt - 90916-02585
- Idler Pully - 13503-0F010
- Idler Sub-Assembly - 13505-0F010
- Thermostat - 90916-03100
- Thermostat Gasket - 16346-50010
- Upper Radiator Hose - 16571-50150
- Lower Radiator Hose - 16572-50150
- 8 Spark Plugs - 90919-01210

Japaneses Only Independent Shop - Complete
- Air Conditioning - 2.5lbs of Freon
- Front Rotors
- Front Pads
- Oil Change
- Power Steering Flush
- Transmission Flush
- Differential Fluid Change
- Brake Fluid Flush

Work On Deck
- New rear bumper & paint - Body Shop
- Rear Spoiler Respray (clear is weirdly peeling on top) - Body Shop
- Paint Correction & ceramic coating - Detailer
- Factory XM antenna replacement - me (please help!)
- AHC Fluid Change - me (feeling pretty good about all of the info on the site, local shop refused to do it)
- New OEM running board covers - me
- Sourced a great set of the grey OEM wheels for this model year to replace the chrome from another forum member

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom