A Weekend in BESF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a really nice teardrop. My wife and I are considering one for our future trips up into the Northern Rockies, Canada and hopefully Alaska one day. A lot of nights I'd just fall asleep in the tent thinking that if a bear gets me, then it must be my time. With a hardsided teardrop no need to think about that. ( LOL ) )Is there an imogee for dark humor?).

The BESF expo tour was nearly cancelled. I had been in contact with the forest's event co-ordinator to make sure about size of group limits and the need for permits. Because the group size was under 10 vehicles and no money exchanging hands, (for profit) permits were not required. The event co-ordinator's boss, head ranger, was sent a link to the CMCC website by an unnamed group (think Subaru) that had recently been warned/cited for having an "event" The first thing the head ranger sees are the words "big event". He gets ahold of Steve and/or Mark and shuts it all down. Thankfully Steve/Mark talked the head ranger off the cliff and the tour is still on with a fee being paid. John Portzine, (event co-ordinator) and I discussed all this after the fact, and he divulged the forest service is in the process of cracking down on anything they may/can be considered an event. With the recent popularity of BESF, they must get ahead of the heavy traffic curve. I have a pretty good rapport with John, so if you guys would like I can run it by him just so we don't get into trouble and or fined. Oh,, yea, I'm in, as long as we get back from our planned September trip.

Thankfully Steve/Mark talked the head ranger off the cliff and the tour is still on with a fee being paid.

A few paid to BESF? If so, did they try categorize this under the Commercial Activities Agreement? I would think it would need nothing more than a Letter of Authorization as a courtesy.
Not trying to mince words or sound ungrateful to the forestry department but if they are charging a fee to drive on public land, that’s crap...
They use the term “Event” pretty loosely IMO. Nothing during the EXPO is competitive, for profit, selling goods on State Land. If that is their logic, they should charge the convoy of vehicles heading to Poe Valley and Poe Paddy on the first day of Trout Season.... that’s an event, assembly.

Sorry all, rant over, just chaps my a$$ when we all pay taxes for public land and they continue to try and squeeze more out of us.

I did come across a Subaru video on YouTube in BESF. They were acting like idiots. Tread Lightly must not be in their vocabulary from what I watched.

Last edited:

That is a lot of vehicles! I can see how the forestry department could get their panties in a twist over that.
Honestly though, I'm not sure that I would drive much differently than them Subi guys were. Maybe I shouldn't go on the CMCC Overlander :frown:

I dunno, it looks like they are off trail at some points, weaving through the trees.

That would be my main gripe that anyone watching from DCNR wouldn’t appreciate. Stay on the trail... looking liked they were trailblazing to me. I’ve been on 90% of BESF drivable trails and haven’t come across anything like that.

I dunno, it looks like they are off trail at some points, weaving through the trees.
Agreed, I'm familiar with most all of the technical trails up there and the weaving through the trees trail? I'm thinking they may have been on an specified ATV run. If they were, it would be no surprise if they were cited for it.

A few paid to BESF? If so, did they try categorize this under the Commercial Activities Agreement? I would think it would need nothing more than a Letter of Authorization as a courtesy.
Not trying to mince words or sound ungrateful to the forestry department but if they are charging a fee to drive on public land, that’s crap...
They use the term “Event” pretty loosely IMO. Nothing during the EXPO is competitive, for profit, selling goods on State Land. If that is their logic, they should charge the convoy of vehicles heading to Poe Valley and Poe Paddy on the first day of Trout Season.... that’s an event, assembly.

Sorry all, rant over, just chaps my a$$ when we all pay taxes for public land and they continue to try and squeeze more out of us.
Yes, the Head Ranger used the Commercial Activities clause. I have a copy of the "Letter of Authorization". I think Ben does as well. I'm thinking that because of the recent rise in popularity of the BESF, thanks to Overland Journal, Expedition Portal, Overland Bound, and Mainline Overland, the forest service is a bit behind the curve as it seemed they were grasping at straws to enforce rules that were not clearly defined. The DCNR will undoubtedly come out with new rules and regulations that are sadly needed to maintain and preserve BESF. Crap, we've been going up there for decades and now it's getting crowded.

It’s a slippery slope IMO. Let’s hope they don’t get too crazy. I was up at Rickets Glen this past weekend, had to stay in the State Park against my better judgement and the Rangers were a little out of control. Had a Ranger sneak into my site about 9:30 Friday night, get within 20’ of me and THEN turn his flashlight on! Just wanted to see our permit.... a copy was in the post and on my dash as per the rules. I wish I would have had some Bear Spray on me as he would have been greeted with a surprise. A different one did the same damn thing on Saturday night. I understand that they have a job to do, but there is no need to sneak around the park and on to reserved sites. Common courtesy would be nice but I guess those days are gone.

Had a Ranger sneak into my site about 9:30 Friday night, get within 20’ of me and THEN turn his flashlight on!

Damn, I would have flipped out. That shiz is uncalled for. He might be a creep trying to catch some young couples doing things...

Damn, I would have flipped out. That shiz is uncalled for. He might be a creep trying to catch some young couples doing things...
From what I’ve read, they are big on catching people with alcohol at that specific campground. I was pretty pissed to say the least. I had read that it was an issue there so had all of our goodies on lockdown and out of sight. Was waiting for him to ask what was in our cups but he didn’t.

Afterwards, we watched him do it to several other sites. It was weird, he asked a few questions, turned off his flashlight and disappeared into the dark. A couple minutes later you’d see the light come back on at another site.
Plan on using Hipcamp from here on out.

Ya that's bull****. Sneaking up like that. Respect goes a long way, both ways. If a ranger can't tell the difference between low life trouble makers getting drunk and tearing things up, or respectable tax paying citizens having fun and minding their own business, then that ranger should not be in an enforcement position. No lie, I got pulled over on the Elephant Hill trail a couple of years ago under the premise that my trailer brake lights didn't work. I knew better and explained that I rarely use the brakes. She got heated a bit and argued the point and accused me of being negligent and telling me she was being nice by letting me off with just a warning. I was also accused of knowing she was following me and I didn't stop, really? says I. Then I asked my wife to step on the brake pedal, wha la brake lights worked perfectly. Then she asked me for all my permits. That gave me permission to get a bit snarky with her. "If that's what you wanted then why not just ask for them in the first place", "you really don't have to be rude to do a good job". She didn't like that, threatened to revoke all of our permits. I called her bluff, "lets go now to see your boss" she wanted nothing to do with that. I walked away while she was still blabbering, got into the Diehlmobile and continued on to our camp. Four days later I filed a formal complaint. Very few Rangers are bad seeds that grow into weeds. Thankfully we only have to weed the garden once in a while.

I had heard that Rickets Glenn was closing. Any truth to that?

The Keystone weekend in October will not be a commercial activity. Just a few dudes with Toyotas hanging out in the woods!
I know me and Crusha and a couple other guys are dudes.

Haven’t heard anything about Rickets closing. I’ve read the opposite, that it’s getting quite popular, hence stealth Rangers trying to crack down. There are 70 something sites and they were all full. Dropped to 32 Friday and Saturday night. Snow flurries and rain on Sunday morning. Really liking trailer life! Closed the hatch hooked up and pulled out.
BE1D8899-28A6-438D-8973-776FF4863C54.jpeg

Crazy on the sneaking up like that. I mean it’s one thing if a particular site is being loud/rowdy but it’s another thing if it’s just a couple enjoying camping. I’d think the ranger should act smarter, seems like it’s an easy way to get someone to pull a side arm on him.

Crazy on the sneaking up like that. I mean it’s one thing if a particular site is being loud/rowdy but it’s another thing if it’s just a couple enjoying camping. I’d think the ranger should act smarter, seems like it’s an easy way to get someone to pull a side arm on him.
Yep. Just the two of us, no music, just a lantern on. We didn’t leave until after work on Friday so We didn’t get in until dusk. Setup camp quickly, got some lights setup and started on a fire as it was pretty chilly out. Was working on the fire, walked over to the table to grab my hatchet and his light flashed on as he approached. Scared the bejeezzzus out of me TBH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom