99 LX470 Sunroof stock - Open and will not move (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone have an idea in how to manually close a LX sunroof. I saw saw videos online... But NOT specifics for a 99 LX.
The motor sounds like trying to move. But its stock in place.
Thanks!

There is no easy way to manually close the sunroof. Questions:

- Is the sunroof moving slightly then jamming/stopping? Or is it 100% stuck.
- Did you recently open it? I.e. was the system operating OK recently?
- What's the weather like in Knoxville?

Yes, It is moving but minimal.
Yes, I felt a weird noice from the outside and decided to open it and close it. It was working just fine last time.
The weather in 81 and sun today.

thank you!

Mine did the same thing once. Had a buddy grab it while I was pushing the close button. He pulled like crazy and it closed. Took some effort but it was starting to rain so we didn’t really care.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own peril. Mine still works fine but can’t promise yours will do the same.

Mine did the same thing once. Had a buddy grab it while I was pushing the close button. He pulled like crazy and it closed. Took some effort but it was starting to rain so we didn’t really care.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own peril. Mine still works fine but can’t promise yours will do the same.
Sounds good. thank you for the advise. Do you push the glass?

This is the part that still open. I may try to close it this weekend. Not sure how thought. @neckbone

First, I’d check to make sure it’s all the way forward, then if it were me, I’d just push it up like hell and see if I could make it seat in there. Does it sound like the motor is turning or is it just dead?

I just went through this same exercise with my 80. Managed to deal with it properly. I suggest you do not exert extra force. Posted on the fix and outcome.

Raising up the rear portion does require the motor to turn and move the cables a bit. So simply pushing up real hard in its current position will likely break something else.

I would do this: open the sunroof up again (maybe halfway*) then go through the closing motion again while guiding the panel first forward, then upwards at the rear during the final second.

(*While the sunroof is opening you can press the button at any time to stop its rearward motion. That’s how to open it halfway and leave yourself an area for your hand to help guide it closed.)

I thought there was a manual crank of some kind under the forward map light/homelink panel, no? That’s where it was in my Volvos and I thought I read in the owners manual the 100 has it too.

From another old old thread:

Did you try to re-initialize it?

Try this:
-Depress sunroof switch and operate sunroof to the max. tilt position-
-Release sunroof switch-
-Depress and hold sunroof switch again-
-After 10 sec. the sunroof will start automatic operation and complete one cycle, (tilt downward, slide open, slide close, and tilt upward) while sunroof switch is depressed-
-DO NOT release sunroof switch until sunroof stops-
-Check that sunroof stops in correct position.

Hope that helps.

and

I was not able to get the re-initialization sequence to work- but I used my other working sunroof as a reference and here is what you do to assure proper sunroof close calibration- take the motor off so the sunroof will slide free; depress the open switch on the motor while it is unmounted from the cables, it will stop at its detent "open position. Then use your hand to slide the sunroof back so it is exactly 2 7/8" from the front edge of the steel roof to the front edge of the rubber weatherstrip on front of the sunroof. Re-install the motor with them both in this position, tighten down the motor. Now, when you push the close button, the sunroof should come to rest exactly where it should- with the aft side of the glass flush with the top of the roof.

Hope this helps!

I thought there was a manual crank of some kind under the forward map light/homelink panel, no? That’s where it was in my Volvos and I thought I read in the owners manual the 100 has it too.

My BMWs (at least the 80s/90s models) also had this as well. You could pop off the overhead panel and stick an allen wrench in a bolt head to manually turn the motor. I have no idea if the 100 has this, but there are four clips on the map light panel (and I think a screw under the garage door opener buttons) that hold it to the roof. Remove that screw and pop the panel out to check and see. Worth a shot.

From what I browsed, there is no manual crank on a 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom