Correct Head Gasket for 1974 F (1.5F) Engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this question in my build thread but haven't had any confirmation yay or nay if the head gasket that I purchased to replace the old head gasket will work.

The head is pulled off a 1974 F155. From looking at the old vs the new head gasket, there are several holes in the old head gasket that are not in the new one--my guess is that it will not work.

Those in-the-know, please let me know if this gasket can work. If not, anybody know where I can get a good F155 head gasket. My understanding is that the are NLA through Toyota.

fullsizeoutput_6e86.jpeg

@65swb45 I bought the new gasket pictured above from you a few months ago. Can you please tell me if this gasket will work with my 1974 F engine. I have tried to contact you over the phone but have not been able to leave a voice mail.

Thank you.

I posted this question in my build thread but haven't had any confirmation yay or nay if the head gasket that I purchased to replace the old head gasket will work.

The head is pulled off a 1974 F155. From looking at the old vs the new head gasket, there are several holes in the old head gasket that are not in the new one--my guess is that it will not work.

Those in-the-know, please let me know if this gasket can work. If not, anybody know where I can get a good F155 head gasket. My understanding is that the are NLA through Toyota.

View attachment 1954867

Pics of my 2F head gasket. Looks similar to your new one? Is your replacement Toyota? Hopefully, Mark is ok but in the mean time, Cruiser Outfitters will pick up the phone and will be able to set you up.
555685FB-00E8-41D8-AB85-062E27EE83D9.jpeg

Can't answer your question but It sure would be nice to have some pics of your head and the block to compare all the holes. I sure wish I had taken pics of mine when I had it apart. I've always wondered if all the holes get used for fluid transfer or if some were just for machining.
Here's a thread that has some gasket pics. "Gaskets"

'74 (1.5F) uses a different head gasket than F or 2F. The respective part numbers are as follows:
F: 11115-60032 (OEM Discontinued)
1.5F: 11115-60033 (OEM Discontinued)
2F: 11115-61010 (OEM available)

In your case, use a good Japanese aftermarket.

Thank you guys for the replies and help.

I have done a lot of reading about the different gaskets. Read one post by @FJ40Jim where he discussed that some of the aftermarket gaskets have too many holes for their respective heads. The engine appears to run cooler but actually leads to inadequate cooling at the back of the block.

I think the best thing for me to do at this point is get a different gasket. @Racer65, or anybody with experience with different gaskets that are not OEM, what aftermarket Japanese gaskets do you find to be the best? CCOT seems to have a good reputation. Fel Pro not so much. The effectiveness and longevity of the gasket does seem to have a lot to do with proper torque on the head bolts and re-torqueing them after the first drive, 500 miles, and again at 1000 miles after the new head gasket was installed.

Thanks again for the help.

I ordered and sent you a 1974 engine specific aftermarket head gasket.

I am out in the field at the moment helping a friend with a roof. I shut off my answering machine before I left and posted in the announcements section that I would be closed for the month.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I ordered and sent you a 1974 engine specific aftermarket head gasket.

I am out in the field at the moment helping a friend with a roof. I shut off my answering machine before I left and posted in the announcements section that I would be closed for the month.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Mark. Thanks for the reply. No need to apologize for any inconvenience--there has been none, you have always been a great help to me.

I am still confused though. It seems that the hole pattern in the 2F head gasket shown in the picture posted by Jdc1 is identical to the hole pattern in the new head gasket I have. I didn't think that the gaskets would be interchangeable. Wouldn't the hole pattern on a 2F gasket be different than the hole pattern on a gasket for a 1974 F engine?

Is it possible that when you ordered it for me they sent you the wrong one?

I certainly do not want to be a pest but I want to make sure I get the right gasket on.

Last edited:
I remember that I went through the gasket process very carefully with the supplier. First he pulled up a computer image that did not have the oval hole for the internal passage. Obviously an F.

Then he pulled up one with the oval. I told him to cross check it with the 2F. It was the same PN so I told him that could not be it either.

So then he found one from another vendor that had the oval that did NOT cross check with the 2F. That is what I ordered.

It will look basically the same as the 2F other than having the smaller bore size. I remember holding a 2F head gasket over it to make sure it was the smaller bore.

I did not compare water jacket holes; in my experience they never match 100%. Not even from the block to the head on a given motor. As noted, some of them were used solely for the purposes of casting.

Hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom