Box Rocket homemade trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am still figuring out the way I want to wire them but ideally I would like to have them just tied to the reverse lights on the truck with a secondary manual switch in the trailer so that they can be turned on at camp.

Did you figure this out? I have mine wired this way and it is extremely nice and useful. I also put a couple eagle eyes up at the tongue that light the ground as well. Really easy to make happen with a single 5 pin relay. I can draw it up quickly, but here is the wiring on the relay by pin.

30 to the trailer lights +
87a to the truck reverse lights +
87 to trailer battery +
85 to trailer ground to switch
86 to trailer battery + to switch

Last edited:
Hi Adam, I am inspired by your post. I am in SLC, where did you find the axle? Do you have a part list for this build?

Looking for some recommendations for airbags to use on my trailer. I've got some changes planned hopefully before spring/summer. I'll be ditching the leaf spring suspension that has been great for the past 12 years but is due for an upgrade. My plan is to use an extra set of 80 series radius arms (as trailing arms) along with a panhard to locate the axle.

Here's an australian trailer that's running a similar setup.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

And for sake of posterity, here's a recent pic of my trailer on the day I decided to do this. ;)

Smart design with the 80 arms.

lots of folks use the firestone bags with good results

Many different applications.
Thanks for that. Some good options there. Next question, any recommendations for load capacity for the airbags. Most sold are secondary suspension to leaf springs or coils so they aren't supporting the entire load. Obviously a trailer is probably lighter, but I'm new to airbag use and could use some opinions from those with more experience.

Why not add Timbrens?
Definitely an option but I have the radius arms, the panhard and everything I need other than airbags, so it will be inexpensive to do what I have planned. Nothing wrong with the timbrens, but there's also something I like about it being a bit different and it's a pretty fool proof setup.

And...the ones you linked aren't strong enough. Definitely want the 3500lb set or bigger if you're doing offroad stuff. Seen way too many 2000lb spindles break.

Thanks for that. Some good options there. Next question, any recommendations for load capacity for the airbags. Most sold are secondary suspension to leaf springs or coils so they aren't supporting the entire load. Obviously a trailer is probably lighter, but I'm new to airbag use and could use some opinions from those with more experience.
I'm running airbags on my F350 to assist carrying a camper. IIRC, they're Firestone brand and I installed them. Two things to keep in mind running air bags. First, there is a minimum pressure to run in them when rig is unloaded. Second, use caution when lifting rig for maintenance: do not lift rig by the frame - always lift with axle, unless you've got travel limiters in place. Airbags can be torn if suspension travel exceeds the limit of its travel. These cauitions were for the assist-type air bags, but I would think if air bags are your primary spring, these cautions would be even more critical.

Couple of questions. Is there any advantage to independant supension on a trailer? Also, looks like you're not running shocks on your trailer. Mine was setup the same way by the manufacturer. Are they even needed on an off road type of trailer like we're running, in your opinion?

@adventurefamly what bags you running on your m416?
I went with Firestone RideRite. If you are fabbing the suspension your self then your can use any bag that supports your load and fab around the bags.
I'm currently running single Empi VW Beetle coil overs but am thinking of adding another one.
Something else to think about during your build is where you are putting the air compressor that will run the airbags.

Rocky's Suspension.jpg

Rocky's Suspension rear.JPG

Picked up a set of firestone 2800lb airbags a couple days ago. Should work out I think.

In other news, I got my $30 37's mounted up to the new Icon wheels to match the Cruiser. :) Gonna have to build new fenders. haha

Got here too late to reply on your where to buy air bags. Anyway I use this site for reference Airbagit. They have about everything I've needed in the way of parts and accessories. Their prices are good. There's also a page that gives dimensions for the different manufactures air bags.
They also have a good FAQ for people new to these setups.

Last edited:
Got here too late to reply on your where to buy air bags. Anyway I use this site for reference Airbagit. They have about everything I've needed in the way of parts and accessories. Their prices are good. There's also a page that gives dimensions for the different manufactures air bags.
They also have a good FAQ for people new to these setups.
Awesome! Thank you. I'm still going to need some parts so I'll check that site out.

OH forgot. I use air brake hose from diesel. Either 3/8 or 1/2. Holds up real well and is abrasive resistant.

Any chance you’d be willing to let me check out your trailer IRL? I live in Syracuse as well (as of a year ago) near the bluff. I ended up building a 4’x4’ version and then we had another kid and I need something with a bit more room to haul all our stuff around so I’m looking to start over and do it a 4’x6’. It would be cool to see this and totally steal all your hard work.

have had a little time the past few evenings to get crackin on some new fenders since my old ones weren't going to work with the new 37's. Been using materials that I've just had in the garage so no new cost so far. Cut off the old side steps and the exterior tubes that were for the adjustable rack and also removed the tire carrier. I may leave the tire carrier off since I don't really have a spare that's the correct size and the Cruiser would match anyway.

Still a bunch to do. I picked up a HF tongue box to replace the old cooler I had on the front. So I'm changing how the front was set up. This will at least get the trailer in a useable state again if I need it. I have a few more parts to pick up to be ready to redo the suspension with the airbags. When that stuff shows up it will be down again for more rework. But hoping to get the fenders Raptor Lined and the trailer repainted this weekend.

Trailer fenders by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom