A Weekend in BESF (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Weather is starting to get nice so we decided to spend the weekend in the woods. Traveled about 120 miles in total, hiked about 6 and enjoyed Saturdays sunlight! I try to keep pushing farther north so we decided to setup camp in the “Weikert” area. BESF is geographically separated by Penns Creek. The Forestry Dept and Fish and Game have fought back and forth for many years now over rebuilding the bridge. Fish and Game continue to win the fight so I often stay on the Mifflin County side for convenience.
Packed up and ready to pull out
520C38E8-BCAD-4BDE-9D4B-80B71E523FF0.jpeg

We took Siglerville/ Millheim Pike over to Coburn, then Millheim and on to Woodward. From there we picked up Woodward Gap road and were back on dirt. Once back in the forest, we headed east on Paddy Mountain Road to Dispersed Site 23. It’s situated at Weikert Trailhead which is convenient. Although busy for the opening weekend of Trout season, I only saw 3 trucks (passing by) all weekend in our area.
5CDBE610-BCB4-4CBF-953B-16BBFD015BEE.jpeg

It rained pretty hard Friday night but couldn’t ask for better weather on Saturday. We hiked Weikert for a few miles but I wanted to do a loop so found a connector trail on a quad map that I was using and decided to go for it. Probably wasn’t the best decision as we spent 2.5 miles bushwhacking! Luckily I always carry a machete... I considered it work as usual but apparently the Mrs. was concerned that we’d be spending the night in the bush! A couple water crossings later and we had intersected back onto Cherry Run and looped back to camp. I looked at a few newer maps afterwards only to realize that the segment I had taken had been abandoned years ago.
Weikert was well maintained and I didn’t think to grab any pics while we were bushwhacking.
BBB2858C-C2A7-43F1-AA00-5323684717FA.jpeg

B65DE1DB-8214-4B45-A3C2-2B074A41DA53.jpeg

Haven’t had an opportunity to get the trailer out until now and decided to use this a shakedown cruise. It handled the lighter trails well and the departure angle is actually pretty good as I expected to drag in a few places only to be surprised. The GX pulls it like it isn’t there, had to remind myself a few different times that I was dragging something behind me and to get out of the skinny pedal.
Hung out at camp for the remainder of the day.
“Roughing it”. Haha!
67D8FD15-64AA-473D-9DF2-2771D901780D.jpeg
9F13F55C-7EBF-476D-9573-8CD0D523EBE4.jpeg
D11DEF5A-4477-4676-901A-F31D82B40801.jpeg
37CAC081-CC29-4208-9008-44E0D584E68C.jpeg

Having always tent camped, the luxuries of the trailer was easy to get used to. Also have a solar setup with a VictronConnect smart controller. I ran the fridge all weekend, fans, lights, had the radio on most of the afternoon, watched a movie Saturday night and it kept up with everything nicely.
B3F20BD9-DF03-4F71-B9E5-72CDB73A9FAC.png

The screenshot was from Saturday evening. You can see that we didn’t pull much on Friday due to the cloudiness and rain but it made hay while the sun was out on Saturday and topped off my battery.
Overall always happy to get for a few days and I’m looking forward to exploring some more new areas along a few other dispersed camping areas.

That’s funny. I had scouted about 8 different sites but they all were taken. Asked the girl what was available, she rattled off a handful farther north and a couple on Paddy Mountain so 23 sounded good. Turned out to be a nice site after all.

I've driven by most of the sites and have notes on almost all of them, lots of good ones just not enough time to try them all out! The CMCC Expo Run is pretty cool, but I really think we should get a Keystone trip together to go hang out in the forest.

Tell us more about your solar setup and controller please. We use a Renogy portable solar suitcase, 100W, and it seems to work well, but doesn't provide fancy charts/graphs like you show above.

I have started using GAIA GPS and have been tagging them whenever we come across one. I’m trying to hopefully massage my work my schedule enough to try and tag along this year for CMCC. And I’m always game for a long weekend! @BROKEROB1 and I had talked about doing another run on the Mid-atlantic backcountry discovery route. We could start in the southern part of the state and finish up in BESF.

My charge controller is made by Victron Energy and is the MPPT 75/15 model which can be linked via Bluetooth to my phone or whatever device you’d like. It is customizable to whatever type of battery you are running and however you’d like it to cycle. Has a lot of nice features and is dummy proof for me.
Here’s a spec sheet:

There have been a few threads on MUD about this style with a lot of positive feedback.

Awesome trip, Jody! Your rig looks perfect!

I’m up for another BDR run anytime!

Jody, Rob, anyone else watching, if that weekend works for you we can lock that in and I’ll start another thread to gather interest.

We should reserve two sites ahead of time as that’s a busy weekend in the forest.

This digressed quickly ^^^ 😂

Glad to hear your getting to use and enjoy the rig J!

Let's do it!
It's supposed to be our club wheeling weekend anywho.

It’s pretty far out for me to be definitive but I’d like to do it. Planning on several impromptu weekends in the near future if anyone is interested as well.

That sounds like my kind of weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom