What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adjust the drag link. Alignment shops are pretty useless with a solid axle vehicle.

The drag link runs from the pitman arm (on the steering box), to the PS steering arm, on the front side of the axle. There are two clamps on each end, holding the drag link from rotating, captured by a bolt/nut which are both a 17mm. Loosen them to the point the drag link can rotate. Longer will move the steering wheel to driver (left), shorter will move it to passenger (right).

Usually I leave the clamp loose, maybe hand tighten, then take it for a test drive or two, figure out where I want it, then go from that. The wheel will move a lot from a full rotation of the rod, so it’s best to do small, incremental adjustments until it is where you want it.

Or stop caring. Mine has been off for months. Seems every time I get it just right, I bend the drag link and have to replace or straighten it, starting the process over.
Thanks!!! thought it might be something like that. Good advice and I agree no more going to the 'normal' alignment shops for me.

Thanks!!! thought it might be something like that. Good advice and I agree no more going to the 'normal' alignment shops for me.

That’s definitely what it is, unless something is broken, which I doubt.

All you can really set on these is toe and centering the steering wheel.

Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.
YMMV, but when I had this problem I just popped off the steering wheel and moved it one spline to the right or left. I don’t know if it’s recommended but it’s only 1 spline and 1/2 :banana:

Quick overnight 28 miles from home. Morning light with @yjeff
D9A401D9-F903-4AA0-99C4-3A8432149002.jpeg

Last edited:
Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of trail riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).
winching.jpg
80 herd.JPG
stuck.jpg

Last edited:
Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.
Recent write up. Centering Steering Wheel

Works for Jeeps too. :flush:

Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of traill riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).View attachment 1952869View attachment 1952870View attachment 1952876

Looks greasy. Tires make a bigger difference in the mud than lockers do. These rigs always amaze me in the mud, they must have lots of mechanical traction.

YMMV, but when I had this problem I just popped off the steering wheel and moved it one spline to the right or left. I don’t know if it’s recommended but it’s only 1 spline and 1/2 :banana:

This method will "correct" the offset of the steering wheel but it moves the steering box off-center. This alters the steering arc (not much but it does) and can affect the box as it likes to return to center. In other words when the steering wheel is straight the box is slightly turned in one direction.
Adjusting the drag link is the right way to go.

Recent write up. Centering Steering Wheel

Works for Jeeps too. :flush:
Thanks!!! Going to try that as soon as the SNOW MELTS!! Minneapolis got dumped on the last couple of days.

This method will "correct" the offset of the steering wheel but it moves the steering box off-center. This alters the steering arc (not much but it does) and can affect the box as it likes to return to center. In other words when the steering wheel is straight the box is slightly turned in one direction.
Adjusting the drag link is the right way to go.

Thanks for this. That's what I was thinking. It's only off a bit but want to do it the right way.

Reactions: RFB
Put a tap on the out of my hot water tank, which is conveniently located in the garage. I then spent the whole after noon degreasing the engine and front axle on the 80. Drained the hot water tank several times. Made up a mixture of kerosene and simple green purple pro-HD. Engine is nice and clean now:D.
Now I get to track down the oil leaks:doh:.
Also ordered 18 ltrs of Castrol Transmax from Costco, cheapest place to get it around here. Rodney flush next week after I pull the pan, clean it and sonic clean the filter.

Reactions: RFB
Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of trail riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).View attachment 1952869View attachment 1952870View attachment 1952876
lockers are good, if you never use them great. But if you need them and dont have them well thats just frowny face

Thanks!!! Going to try that as soon as the SNOW MELTS!! Minneapolis got dumped on the last couple of days.

Thanks for this. That's what I was thinking. It's only off a bit but want to do it the right way.
Im in same boat homie, took it to shop to align and wheel went to 12 and 6 got it to almost dead nuts, but they dont know what A SAS is.

Finally installed my leather steering wheel cover today thats been in a box for a year.....it takes about 3-4 hours for a first timer like me to install/sew.

The brand is Loncky, leather is nice and price is good for the kit...for 95-97 80 series and LX-450

003.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited:
I did a thing.

Repaired lightly rusted patch where the 3rd row seat belts bolted to the floor, filled all the extra holes with silicone, covered in aluminum tape, and then...

Full coverage in the cargo area of Noico 80 + Noico Green, noticeable difference in tones heard in the car, will be doing the doors, rest of floors, and roof in the next few weeks. Took three of us almost 4 hours to get it done, but there are so many nooks in the rear panels, that it's just a lot of templating and cutting.

20190414_000304091_iOS.jpg

20190414_224034019_iOS.jpg

20190414_224038222_iOS.jpg

20190414_235646798_iOS.jpg

Drove the 80 to go pick up some new seats for my sons '85 minitruck. It had a nasty benchseat that I worried about spreading disease. These are VW Jetta/Golf seats, identical to the ones I swapped into my 80 except these are cloth rather than leather like I have in the 80. Power recline and seat heaters. These are really comfortable seats and I've like them a lot in the 80 so I was stoked to find another set for a great price.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Now to finish getting the truck ready for paint.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom