Tales,Trails and Trials of a (wet) Dream Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bits and pieces getting rejuvenated,
One giant leap for mankind and one baby pigstep to getting my mistress out of rehab. She’s getting better by the day, she even got caught having sex with a Lamborghini. She’s definitely making HEAD way.
The rods are supposed to be completed by the end of this week(suee suee). More HEAD way.

9BA01DAD-CCE5-4D5C-9CF3-8FE5BA740F89.jpeg

So going backwards to continue the past sequence of this “build thread”.

Some where along the line the notion that I NEED solar panels empregnated my brain. For all those times that I lay there comatose unable to move from the remote spot that I have found myself in and can’t afford to allow my ice for my gin and tonics to melt so that I can stay comatose.

The first panel was by Solar Film, a 120 watt 4’ x 8’ folding canvas panel weighs about 6 lbs.

On one excusion my alternator gave out and the light cloud cover wasn’t allowing enough solar rays to keep my ice from melting. I was camped next to someone who had a small P3 solar panel and it was out performing mine. So long story short, I have my original panel and 2- 3’ x 5’ P3 panels at 125 watts each, totaling 370 watts ( if there is sun). System weighs 18 lbs.

Thought I had some photos of the solar controller set up. Sorry only just talk.

Next post will be power steering build, I got pitchers. ( you decide what kind)

So still in limbo jonesing for the rods to begin butting piggies guts back in.

Meanwhile here’s power steering assembly pics. Probably should be in the powere steering thread but here goes.

E20CC70D-BF05-47A5-9124-D5929D25C94C.jpeg

3CD32D8A-E4FC-47F7-BFEC-ED5AA848111C.jpeg

E48A4046-1D34-4251-873F-092042E7D7E0.jpeg

A4067B24-E884-410D-8FC7-92DB5724AB68.jpeg

495F78A2-4F8B-48B4-992C-57F0BAF49168.jpeg

Pics didn’t post in the order I thought they would

E602F80D-8D67-4D2A-8400-53B935309770.jpeg

1C043A1D-41DB-4A11-BA3E-8471AABDF619.jpeg

600921FD-2614-4E8C-BFE9-5CC0DDBC174A.jpeg

170C9DB5-1645-4F8D-95D3-765DBFE5C2D5.jpeg

EF15FD19-BE4B-4EA2-8033-FA7975294879.jpeg

Sorry for the lack of commentary on the above pictures. These are the pics of my power steering conversion. The best upgrade to my pig of all the things I have done to her. Recommended to those of use who are a bit long in the tooth and way cheaper then a shoulder replacement. I’m luck to be able to do my own fabrication as primalive as it may be. I got a steering column from a fellow pig enthusiast to use in case I cut mine twice and found it was still to short. I spent several hours plotting out the location and figuring out the cut locations. The only thing I had to modify under the dash was to push the defrost

There are sensers that detect the movement when you turn the wheel which causes a motor to kick in and assist. Simple version. In the factory installed versions the unit detects your speed and lessens or increase its assist pending your speed. That is why there is a rheostat in the kit. These are modified factory installed units. If you are doing 80 miles an hour you don’t want the power steering to be on full assist because it will be to squirrely. Since these kits don’t have sensers interfacing with a speed senser, it is up to you to manage its assist. Hence the rheostat.

My build dialogue on the power steering this morning got sent before I finished it.

Continuation,
It took several hours to do the layout and plan the cutting locations. On a Saturday morning I took my column out and began the mod. By Sunday afternoon it was complete and I had power steering. Blew my mind. When on the freeway I set it to minimal assist sometimes not at all depending on road and wind conditions. In tight parking areas and switch backs it’s on full assist. Normal around town upper mid works. Don’t really have to adjust very often.

I had been wonder how it would react off road. By the time I got around to my first excursion I forgot I had power steering. I remembered it two days in to the outback and realized the there was not a single odd reaction to grinding on a difficult trail other then it was not difficult to steer and there was no wrestling the wheel in Boulder washes.

I’m starting to drool just thinking about my pig in rehab. (I miss her so so much)

My build dialogue on the power steering this morning got sent before I finished it.

Continuation,
It took several hours to do the layout and plan the cutting locations. On a Saturday morning I took my column out and began the mod. By Sunday afternoon it was complete and I had power steering. Blew my mind. When on the freeway I set it to minimal assist sometimes not at all depending on road and wind conditions. In tight parking areas and switch backs it’s on full assist. Normal around town upper mid works. Don’t really have to adjust very often.

I had been wonder how it would react off road. By the time I got around to my first excursion I forgot I had power steering. I remembered it two days in to the outback and realized the there was not a single odd reaction to grinding on a difficult trail other then it was not difficult to steer and there was no wrestling the wheel in Boulder washes.

I’m starting to drool just thinking about my pig in rehab. (I miss her so so much)
Please post a picture of the motor that interfaces with the tie rods for the steering assist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom