What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please set up your jig and seriously consider making a kit. You do incredible SS tube work.

What size and grade tube are you using?

Looks like Swagelok fittings?

Are you flaring a bead on the ends for the hoses?

I’m only using the Bilok fittings because the tube sections are scrap I bought from work.

I’ve thought about doing kits. I’ll get tubing specs in a bit.

I plan to either weld a bead around the ends or weld on a small tri-clover fitting end that I will turn down as a barb.

Last edited:
Today did the first mod for my "new to me" 94.. ordered 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75-16s. Mount and balancing on Monday when they arrive at the local Discount Tire. 🤙

If it's not raining tomorrow I'm deep cleaning the interior and removing the POs dogs hair and removing the third row jumpers.

Visiting family in So-Cal. Spotted these on the street this morning.
20190413_105221.jpg

Tune up with Toyota parts......a hose that ties into throttle body split yesterday so replaced that. Spark plug wires stamped 2005 and the plugs looked every bit that old. going to tackle the front axles next weekend......

Changed the oil. Replaced the AC idle pulley bearing, checked for residual leaks from the power steering overhaul. Not one drop! Degreaser and power washed engine and undercarraige yesterday.

Today did the first mod for my "new to me" 94.. ordered 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75-16s. Mount and balancing on Monday when they arrive at the local Discount Tire. 🤙

If it's not raining tomorrow I'm deep cleaning the interior and removing the POs dogs hair and removing the third row jumpers.
You are going to love those tires..I have had them in pretty much every type of terrain, environment and weather and they've been amazing. They wear very well too.
Tested new roof top tent, perfect fit!!!!!!
View attachment 1952471

Deploys in less than a minute and will not affect COG/handling or MOG! :hillbilly:
Now THAT is the way to do a RTT!!! Get all the benefits of being off the ground but none of that drag and high center of gravity crap.
Somebody is driving my Landcruiser. Sure looks perddy.
View attachment 1952377
What roof rack is that? Don't think I've seen one with "Land Cruiser" cut out. Nice!

Tested new roof top tent, perfect fit!!!!!!
View attachment 1952471

Deploys in less than a minute and will not affect COG/handling or MOG! :hillbilly:
I’ve got that same tent, the Teton XL cot, and the sleeping pad. Never considered it for RTT but after seeing this I’m inspired.

What roof rack is that? Don't think I've seen one with "Land Cruiser" cut out. Nice!
I custom make racks for my 80’s and 100’s. This one is on my 80 and is a bit customized for Solar.
What’s really cool is everyone thinks that it’s backwards. It’s not. Instead everywhere you drive it says Landcruiser.

6719EFF3-CE58-4EED-B69B-79A71A4E5E4B.jpeg

21365470-259B-4A51-AF45-AB20ECF32D8C.jpeg

9B268308-D61D-44C6-B821-CA526840DDEE.jpeg

4F754E32-AC08-4768-B60F-6E84A5DDBB38.jpeg

7EB69B89-3ED3-4A29-AD55-1CF60FB4F1CA.jpeg

You are going to love those tires..I have had them in pretty much every type of terrain, environment and weather and they've been amazing. They wear very well too.

Thank man. I researched everything and I always got pulled back to these after every review I read. I've had Duratracs before but felt this was a better value and wanted something a little more durable. The 55k Falken warranty and the 10yr 100k Discount Tire replacement certificate made it something I couldn't pass up.

Finished the day with the boys washing 4 of the cruisers and the minivan.

05086F14-ABE5-4657-9C18-A1C4EF836440.jpeg

Agreed; nice rack too!

Thanks, the rack is the key for this “RTT” setup, the rack needs to be sturdy enough to walk on. The tent really couldn’t fit better, it’s literally edge to edge length wise. It is wide enough for me and still lots of room left on the rack to walk and get in and out of the tent. Looking at the picture I just realized I need to move my rotorpax mount.
2CDA5989-2503-4A56-8D8D-6B189CB80856.jpeg

Some product development. Since the install of my HD Whiteline rear swaybar I have been eating the bushings in the swaybar links. With bushings you get too much give before the bar starts to work IMO and wanted to eliminate that also.

Started with this and it looked like it may work.

View attachment 1948640

No problem with the articulation.

View attachment 1948646

Totally killed the set up in one short weekend of wheeling. :wtf: On to plan B

View attachment 1948647

Much stronger, makes for a tight set up and more adjust ability to work with other set ups. Not sure with joints giving only 23° of movement will make the cut. So far liking the set up on to some more real world testing.

Are those the same lower arms as this thread or have you since found that amount of sleeving to be insufficient and beefed them more?

Last edited:
Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.

Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.

Adjust the drag link. Alignment shops are pretty useless with a solid axle vehicle.

The drag link runs from the pitman arm (on the steering box), to the PS steering arm, on the front side of the axle. There are two clamps on each end, holding the drag link from rotating, captured by a bolt/nut which are both a 17mm. Loosen them to the point the drag link can rotate. Longer will move the steering wheel to driver (left), shorter will move it to passenger (right).

Usually I leave the clamp loose, maybe hand tighten, then take it for a test drive or two, figure out where I want it, then go from that. The wheel will move a lot from a full rotation of the rod, so it’s best to do small, incremental adjustments until it is where you want it.

Or stop caring. Mine has been off for months. Seems every time I get it just right, I bend the drag link and have to replace or straighten it, starting the process over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom