YWST: Low Range T-Case Gear Sets for the 1980-2007 Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got mine on the I-17 freeway up to the Verde Valley from Phoenix. The vehicle could hold 67 mph, with the cruise control, all the way up. It felt to start huffing at about 3,400 feet on the 6% grade (the steepest point). Probably would have dropped below 65 if it was any longer. On the way back to PHX and out of the Verde Valley, she did great, never below 70 with room on the go pedal to spare, I believe I could have kept it at 75 or more if I wanted to. This run was a 6% grade as well and tops out a little over 4,700 feet.

So the gearing is a noticeable improvement. Did not have heavy traffic so I am not sure how much better she will respond when having to drop the RPM and try to accelerate up these stretches. Did not get to go all the way to Flag, will have to report back on that later.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am watching 3 or 4 threads on these gears and lose track of what has been said where.

Here’s the explanation on noise of the 1.1 gears:

Given your commenting in the several of those threads including here in my vendor section, it would behoove both of us to have a conversation about taking the gears out for you or swapping with a different case with stock high range parts.

Fortunately the noise (and we all acknowledge there us added gear noise similar as you mention to an agressive tire) isn't bothersome for most but I don't want you upset with your decision to run them. The noise levels of low range t-case gears have been discussed ad nauseum starting with the days of the Marks Gears in 4x and 6x cases and since the 8x gears hit the market a decade plus ago. If a customer is willing to accommodate the added noise, we are happy to provide them with the parts.

1.1 gears AND 4.56 axle gears??? Why?

Complete waste of money. Just regear axles to 4.88 (or 5.29.)

I HAVE the 1.1 gears (and 3.1). The whole point of them is to NOT have to touch axles. 4.56x1.1=5.01. No meaningful benefit over just 4.88 axle gears. The 1.1 gears are NOISY on the highway/freeway. If mud tires don’t bother you at all noise wise, you likely won’t care. I do and am thinking about pulling mine 1.1 gears out and regearing the axles.

I was joking... I guess I should have put a "LOL" at the end.

This is awesome to hear. I am definitely interested in doing this now. What gear ratio would you think it is closer to 4.56 or 4.88?

I went up the 87 towards Payson yesterday and some of those long hills the LC struggled on 35s with the 4.10 stock gears.

4:56 or just a tad under from what I understand. Definitely a help up the grade but where this work truly shines in in low range. As stated previously, gear whine is noticeable. If I were driving significant freeway miles as a daily driver, and had the cash, I probably would go 4.88s in the pumpkins. But since the TC was already open when installing the LR gears, this was an absolute no brainer.

Sent a handful of the TCG9007UDHR 80/100 high-range underdrive gears home to Iceland this week

As many know it's very common to run 38-44" tires on Toyota's for glacial and polar travel in that region. While they often do double t-cases and deep axle gears, they also try and get low and high range t-case gearing mechanical advantage too. We've been working with some great folks in that region. :D

(Arctic Trucks built 80 Series)

You say doublers, I see an 80 and start dreaming... Do they have such a doubler for 80's in Iceland? Is there a secret backroom deal to get those lovely Arctic Truck AT405's in the states?? :bounce::bounce2::bounce2::bounce:

Saw a few bitchin' cruisers (and a lot of Patrols) on a recent trip to Iceland 😎

/threadjack

20180911_150334.jpg

20180912_101709.jpg

You say doublers, I see an 80 and start dreaming... Do they have such a doubler for 80's in Iceland? Is there a secret backroom deal to get those lovely Arctic Truck AT405's in the states?? :bounce::bounce2::bounce2::bounce:

They do, but nothing they retail. For example the trucks we used in Greenland had doubled up cases using OE parts and literally cutting a factory t-case housing.

phrooaar.. good to know there are alternatives to marks gears and marlin toybox, blackbox bolt ons for the split transfers. Would love to add 4.1 transfer gears in addition to 4.56's diff ratios.. is the amount of case modifications for the larger ratios similar to that of the marks set? .. wonder what the damage is for postage to australia? :p

phrooaar.. good to know there are alternatives to marks gears and marlin toybox, blackbox bolt ons for the split transfers. Would love to add 4.1 transfer gears in addition to 4.56's diff ratios.. is the amount of case modifications for the larger ratios similar to that of the marks set? .. wonder what the damage is for postage to australia? :p

Ping us at the shop with your parts list and post code and we can certainly calculate shipping :D

I'm curious to see if guys with 100 series' start running these. I have them in my 80 and they did make a noticeable difference, especially in Colorado. My new to me 100 has 305's, and while it gets down the road just fine I wouldn't mind getting some of that power back. Also I met some @cruiseroutfit friends coming off of Elephant hill the other day, some cat in a green 100 that looked nearly stock and a Tundra on 35'' duratracs. Nice guys and we enjoyed talking to them.

New options in stock :cool:

10% overdrive and 10% underdrive high range gear options for the 1980-1990 (and later non-US) Split T-Cases. - $350/set

These work WITH your existing idler gear and low range output, so you replace the input gear and the high range output gear to offer either a 10% underdrive or 10% overdrive in high range only. As the low range gearset is also driven by the input gear, this does alter the low range accordingly. These are a direct fit into a 86-90 38mm t-case. They can be used in the 80-86 34mm t-case by using the 86-90 idler gear (with conversion parts) and low speed output gear. Please call for pricing/options on the 34mm variants as we don't have these in the computer yet.

TCG8690UD.jpg

PART# TCG8690UD

TCG8690OD.jpg

PART# TCG8690OD

Last edited:
Hey Kurt, are the prices in the original post still good?

Hey Kurt, are the prices in the original post still good?

Let me peek at them when I'm back at the shop or in front of a screen. Any pricing on our website IS current fwiw.

Let me peek at them when I'm back at the shop or in front of a screen. Any pricing on our website IS current fwiw.

No worries I'll be calling in an order for a few odds tomorrow morning regardless! Have a good night :)

Just an update from a short trip up to Sedona and Flagstaff I took. All I can say is... BUY THESE GEARS! Huge improvement navigating uphill with more power. Downhill it was a joy not having to ride the brakes all the time. Driving anything technical just got easier. I have the UD and low range set. For what the cost is and the performance gains you receive, there is hardly a better bang for the buck out there. As they say: Just Do It!

Just an update from a short trip up to Sedona and Flagstaff I took. All I can say is... BUY THESE GEARS! Huge improvement navigating uphill with more power. Downhill it was a joy not having to ride the brakes all the time. Driving anything technical just got easier. I have the UD and low range set. For what the cost is and the performance gains you receive, there is hardly a better bang for the buck out there. As they say: Just Do It!

I literally just placed an order for that very setup and a couple of other items this morning! :)

Fantastic, I'm very excited to hear this! How is your gear noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom