Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that a check valve for the rear brakes below the master? 1978 FJ40. Is it factory?View attachment 1950715View attachment 1950715View attachment 1950715
No, that is the residual valve. It maintains a certain pressure (4lbs IIRC) for the rear drum brakes. There is a 2 or 2.5 lb residual valve for the front disc brakes. Drums require more residual pressure to keep from shrinking too far from the drum when not in operation. If you mix them up, your front brakes will lock up on the front pads.

Anyone have a FSM? I can’t find were I put my digital copy. I’m looking for the timing/carb setup. I’m having a brain fart on checking my timing. It is 24deg advanced.

I've got a print copy of the FSM. I can bring it to the RR or let me know what wou need and I can scan the pages. Timing is set at the BB on the flywheel at idle with the advance disconnected.

Rehabbing this old mini-mill. Started as a backer case
20190411_093145.jpg

I know what I'll be working on the weekend before CRR...

Screenshot_20190412-001919_Gmail.jpg

I've got a print copy of the FSM. I can bring it to the RR or let me know what wou need and I can scan the pages. Timing is set at the BB on the flywheel at idle with the advance disconnected.

I thought it was set to the BB but mine was set at 24deg advanced and it ran ok when I go to the BB it stalls out. There is a section that talks about setting the fuel mixture screw. And it was a process with timing and the carb. I used when I went to the electric distributor and the trollhole carb. I can’t find it now.
I have no advance on my dizzy the diaphragm is rusted throw and I Do not want to mess with changing it out right now. I don’t drive enough high RPMs to worry about it.

I thought it was set to the BB but mine was set at 24deg advanced and it ran ok when I go to the BB it stalls out. There is a section that talks about setting the fuel mixture screw. And it was a process with timing and the carb. I used when I went to the electric distributor and the trollhole carb. I can’t find it now.
I have no advance on my dizzy the diaphragm is rusted throw and I Do not want to mess with changing it out right now. I don’t drive enough high RPMs to worry about it.

The BB is 7* BTDC. I am set around 9* with newer dizzy spring weights and plastic pin bushings.
You dizzy may be installed a tooth off... What is your RPM when checking timing? If it is above 950, you are getting mechanical advance from the weights. They could also come in to play sooner if your dizzy springs are stretched / tired.

It was at 1200 at first then I backed it down to 950 and got it to run at 16 deg advanced.it runs ok I’ll bring my light and show you down there. Unless I find the post I used when I set it up.

It was at 1200 at first then I backed it down to 950 and got it to run at 16 deg advanced.it runs ok I’ll bring my light and show you down there. Unless I find the post I used when I set it up.
Large or small cap dizzy?

Got a little off road fix in. Unfortunately got axle deep in the muck between the 2 ponds we were fishing and had just enough winch line to pull myself out. First time using my winch to get my truck unstuck. Also had my first HAM interaction with a random dude up here on the mountains in WV. My son asked me to key it up and had a guy respond from an ORV park out here somewhere.

IMG_20190413_172414565.jpg

The BB is 7* BTDC. I am set around 9* with newer dizzy spring weights and plastic pin bushings.
You dizzy may be installed a tooth off... What is your RPM when checking timing? If it is above 950, you are getting mechanical advance from the weights. They could also come in to play sooner if your dizzy springs are stretched / tired.
Sure does sound like the dissy was installed a tooth off. No big deal other than the inability to set timing with the original mark.

You weren’t stuck at Rausch when your cable snapped winching up the last leg of the rock garden a few years ago?

Yeah but I don't count it since it wasn't successful.

You weren’t stuck at Rausch when your cable snapped winching up the last leg of the rock garden a few years ago?
Yeah but I don't count it since it wasn't successful.
Wow. Snapped, eh? Can't tell from the pic but is the current line steel or synthetic? i.e., which way did that breakage send you shopping in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom