80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I personally can't stand a-pillar stuff, I'd go with a unit you can mount cleanly that can be glanced at if needed but perhaps had a warning light function you could remote to your plain of vision (the multi gauge unit you linked supports this) personally given the tech available these days I'd also shoot for something that has a record type function so if you were trying to replicate something you could (obviously with peak and hold functionality) grab a data snap shot.

I agree. A pillar stuff looks ricey or diesel bro no matter what. unfortunately not a ton of real estate to be had here. So far its just seeming to be the easiest/cleanest available mount. I loved having a triple gauge pod on the center of my bugeye dash like this:

But there's not a lot of good space for something like that on a cruiser.
I'm going to see if there is anything else similar to the 14in1. I dislike the giant wings on each end that take up extra space.
being able to record and look at peaks is also a good thing to want. It's nice to see you actually peaked at 2 psi over if it does happen since we're going to be running ~5-7lbs.

I agree with the pillar mount not being a good look. There are some options in the cruiser such as above the shifters on the lower center divider at the base of the dash. Or on the little ledge above the radio & HVAC controls, just need to get creative. If I were you I'd make a mock up of whatever you are seriously considering and tape it to where you want it. Live with it for a couple days and evaluate if you want to change it or make it permanent.

As far as the 14n1, it looks pretty bad ass but I've never been a huge fan of digital displays of metrics unless they have sweeps or some type of dial indicator setting. I find it takes more time for my eyes and brain to find the display, read the number of whatever metric then interpret it. Analog gauges have the advantage in this regard IMO because all you need to keep in mind is the danger zone on the gauge, a fast sweep of the eyes notes locations of the needles and that's it. Now the obvious benefits of going digital are data logging and how many sensors you can monitor while taking up minimal dash space for gauges....

It looks like the 14n1 can be set up to show some type of bar graph which is nice. And I have to admit that while I've never been a digital gauge fan this unit looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
What about a android powered stereo then you can use the torque app. Or the plx muligauge app and sensor module to display and warn you about whatever you want

What about a android powered stereo then you can use the torque app. Or the plx muligauge app and sensor module to display and warn you about whatever you want
Looked into that.
Torque app is useless for this application (aftermarket boost/afr). It will only give OBDII data.
I looked into the PLX/android interface but i'd like to keep them as separate systems though it would allow for a clean install with no needed extra gauge faces which is a big plus.

Wondering how hard it would be to modify an overhead like this with the 14in1 or regular 52mm gauges:
View attachment 1949942

See I was thinking about that as well, but looking up towards the ceiling is still distracting and uncomfortable for me. I am liking the idea of three on the dash like the WRX or running a tablet on the side. But the tablet idea is just as distracting. If only we could find someone with "land cruiser solutions for problems you never knew you had..........." I also thought about having a screen emerge from the below our radios

Last edited:
I went the vent route with a 3in1 gauge from Glowshift. The needle sweep is EGT, digital display on it shows boost and trans temp, so it is more diesel oriented but they have a couple other arrangements available that might work in your petrol cases.

full

Here's the setup in my cruiser. I really like the ISSOPRO gauges and the mounting location is actually pretty easy to reference.
qjqd909h.jpg

I run a PLX DM200 in my Evo. I like that setup as well, but more for the multi gauge digital readout. The analog dial face options on my unit are a little slow and not smooth. But, I like that I can have all my gauges in one.

That is where I used to have mine and found it too far out of eyeball range to really keep an eye on while driving :/

20160803_105608-jpg.1300961

Got an email back from 4x4 concepts. They have 2 or 3 gauge LHD A pillar pods available.
Same as this but for LHD. Good option for those looking for A pillar solutions.
RHD Pod Example
I have one of these for my RHD and it's crap. Nothing holds the bottom of the pod securely.

I have 2x Auber dual gauges under my radio right now and I'm also not a fan of those. Hard to read in bright light and both gauges failed prematurely.

I have my EGT gauge mounted on top of my steering column. This is currently the spot I like most, but I wouldn't want more than one gauge there or it starts blocking too much of the cluster.

have 2x Auber dual gauges under my radio right now and I'm also not a fan of those. Hard to read in bright light and both gauges failed prematurely.

which model Auber gauge did you have that failed. I am getting bad readings on one of mine and assumed it to be the sensor? but maybe it is the gauge...

which model Auber gauge did you have that failed. I am getting bad readings on one of mine and assumed it to be the sensor? but maybe it is the gauge...
I have two of their dual gauges and had one of the spots on each gauge reading temperature (one water one trans temp), both of the temp readings have failed on me. Not the sensor in either case, I can tap the front of the gauges with my finger and the temp reading jumps around and it's not a loose connection to the back of the gauge.

Another idea I was toying with, though it's a bit low and forces use of a single
Was trying to find a pod similar to this:View attachment 1949775

no info on it in their build (overlandtheworld 4BT swap). Could be an off the shelf made to fit. Gauge angle isn't the best since its slightly pointing away from the driver and looks like it blocks a good bit of sight.

@Wompom Visibility out was fine, the angle was OK (you can't fit 3 gauges and the OEM handle with any different angles very easily). The cost from the Australian supplier was steep (around $140) and it was tight.

I’ve looked at other manufactures websites for something similar to the 14in1 guage display.

Nothing looked as good as that, for the price point.

Joey, do you have any input on attaching that to the dash pull-out useless cup holder spot? I believe you had a thing that was a ram mount for that spot?

Was trying to find a pod similar to this:View attachment 1949775

no info on it in their build (overlandtheworld 4BT swap). Could be an off the shelf made to fit. Gauge angle isn't the best since its slightly pointing away from the driver and looks like it blocks a good bit of sight.

This is the design I have and have made a positive of to vacuum form from - but I 100% agree with all the downsides others have pointed out - tweaker bait, vision, etc - the one thing I did change was thickened the lower flange that tucks in the dashboard & A-pillar gap to give it a better fit/no flexing.
I’m also adding a piece of felt-tape to wrap both sides below the dash, so no vibe noise & it’ll really sandwich it in snugly.

I’m also double-layering the plastic to make it stout in comparison - so gauges won’t wobble even in diesel at idle applications, the guages will be supported between the lower grab handle bolt (retains it) & the tighter fit at dash gap.

I’m kinda like Joey - I’m either doing these right once, or they are dog$hit - the original I’m improving was dog$hit for quality.

That said, I’m absolutely with anyone who’s more into doing a Android tablet or PLX / multi display guages - I get it.

Mine will just be an option of the 3) 2-1/16” gauges for the traditionalists who like VDO or whichever gauges (I’m partial to VDO Visions with the green bulb cover, matches the 80 almost spot on).

I’m only going to do small runs based on demand, and color will be black you can paint with SEM or cover with cloth & Super 77 glue.

Trying to keep it under $150, no real profit doing small runs but I’ve no desire to sit on 90 of these if only 10 people want this piece as an option.
Call me clairvoyant, I know how Mud tends to go ;)

ok I have dual pod for A pillar have yet to install I have a huge list of todo going on now. but my scanguage covers a lot WT being one, and boost is in there I just havent fiugred out how to use it. Also I want to add tranny temp guage have the secret tranny fitting just haent done it yet.

No, boost, AFR and tranny temp will not be in the scangauge because they did not exist when the vehicle came out. There is no MAP sensor, the O2 sensor was a narrow band, and there was not a trans temp sensor. So any of the OBDII devices are kind of useless for this purpose.

ok I have dual pod for A pillar have yet to install I have a huge list of todo going on now. but my scanguage covers a lot WT being one, and boost is in there I just havent fiugred out how to use it. Also I want to add tranny temp guage have the secret tranny fitting just haent done it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom