Fan clutch solves overheating (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tools R Us said:
They probably made ours as wimpy as they could get away with to cut down on the, "my motor is too noisy" and "my truck needs to get better mileage" complaints from :princess: Americans.

I hate thinking toyota is behaving like GM but I can't help thinking that CAFE regulations with fuel economy might have played a role in their decission to get a little more MPG out of the six.

No offense Tools, but my gut is still telling me to top that off up to the top of tha hole as BigBrownDog has said. I can't help but think that they would design this to be something easily evaluated and corrected.

My wife's going to kill me when I tell here I'm going to order oil and fix my original clutch after buying 2 new ones and then shelving them after 1 10 mile drive each.

Originally Posted by landtank
My wife's going to kill me when I tell here I'm going to order oil and fix my original clutch after buying 2 new ones and then shelving them after 1 10 mile drive each.

Landtank does this mean that you tried the hayden clutch and it didn't work? or you just like the idea of fixing the OEM clutch with the heavyduty silicone oil?

the reason i ask is i am going to the "desert" for 90 days and i would like to fix this for my :princess: before i leave. if the hayden is good fix i'll go with that...

thanks

dan

Just called pep boys in my area. They have a hayden clutch in stock $69.99.
Do I pull the trigger?

landtank said:
No offense Tools, but my gut is still telling me to top that off up to the top of tha hole as BigBrownDog has said. I can't help but think that they would design this to be something easily evaluated and corrected.

I am not offended, try it and report back. Look at the active area, there isn't much volume there, it doesn't take much fluid to make it work. Your clutch is relatively new, I am betting no fluid has leaked out, slip it together, let it set on the front spring end over night and see how much is in there?

I empty them by turning the half's upside down overnight on something disposable like a stack of rags, then wiping as much as possible out.

The blue hub is the nicest unit I have seen, very high quality machining, fit and finish. With some thick fluid and maybe a valve tweak to make it come on slightly sooner, I think it would be the best unit for the 80?

Working on a source for 30,000cts, hope to know today. :cheers:

landtank said:

She gets that much detail? :eek:

All I tell Connie is that I'm checking a few things on the truck. :D

-B-

OK, talked to C-Dan, he is very busy today, so don't everyone call him at once!:D Beowulf's numbers are correct, Thanks Mike! :cheers:

3,000 Cst. = 08816-03001 List $10.39 some in stock.
6,000 Cst. = 08816-06001 Good number code C, takes longer to get, didn't get price.
10,000 Cst. = 08816-10001 Code B not in stock, can be ordered, list $11.16

PDoyle said:
Just called pep boys in my area. They have a hayden clutch in stock $69.99.
Do I pull the trigger?

Same here. Pep Boys is the only place that caries the Hayden and it is $69.99. My wife is going to pick it up tonight after work.

Tools R Us said:
Working on a source for 30,000cts, hope to know today.

30,000 cts. :eek: Wouldn't Epoxy or JBWeld work about the same? :D

-B-

Beowulf said:
30,000 cts. :eek: Wouldn't Epoxy or JBWeld work about the same? :D

-B-

More like chocolate syrup!:D

Viscosity cSt. Reference Object
1 to 5cSt. water
10cSt. kerosene
20cSt. transformer oil
50cSt. Sae-5 oil
100cSt. Sae-10 motor oil
350cSt. Sae-30 motor oil
500cSt. Sae-30 motor oil
1,000cSt light syrup
2,500cSt. pancake syrup
10,000cSt. honey
25,000cSt. chocolate syrup
50,000cSt. ketchup
60,000cSt thick molasses
100,000cSt. hot tar
250,000cSt. peanut butter
1,000,000cSt. paste/caulk

Dan_J-spec_fj62 said:
Landtank does this mean that you tried the hayden clutch and it didn't work?

i tried the imperial clutch (which is made by hayden co.) and it improved the cooling dramatically. The true Hayden hasn't arrived yet and I'll probably work with the OEM unit just to confirm for me which clutch is best suited for the truck.

If I decide to reinstall the OEM unit I'll keep the best of the other 2 in the truck as a road spare until comfortable with it's reliability.

If someone needs a clutch right now I would suggest a true Hayden unit but hang onto the OEM as we might be able to work out a maintenance solution to bring it back to life.

Found this on a Porsche site!:eek: If someone can dig up that TSB it may have useful info?

The only reference to this stuff that the Toyota parts jock could find, was a TSB from 1975 specifying the fill procedure for the clutches of that year, which evidently arrived empty.

The 3,000 Cst. was for all Toyotas except for the Celica, (the only “sporty” car they offered in 1975), which got 6,000 Cst. The 10,000 Cst. was not assigned an application by the TSB. He guessed maybe the Land Cruiser but didn't really know.

Anyway, the part numbers are 08816-03001, 08816-06001, and 08816-10001, respectively.

Tools R Us said:
Found this on a Porsche site!

Kevin,
You're good with Google, though a bit slow. FYI, that's the site where I got the part numbers in my earlier post. Keep looking and you'll find where I got the image of the bottle. :grinpimp:

-B-

Beowulf said:
Kevin,
You're good with Google, though a bit slow. FYI, that's the site where I got the part numbers in my earlier post. Keep looking and you'll find where I got the image of the bottle. :grinpimp:

-B-

i think he beat you to it by one post B

Expecting a call back from Clearco in the moring. Hearing prices in the $600 per gal. range!:eek:

I guess that not so bad, about $8 a fill, but I don't need 75 fills!:D

Last edited:
Ya cheap bastard.............:rolleyes:

landtank said:
here is a place that will sell in in 1 galon jugs of different grades

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/pdf/pure-silicone/np-psf-5.pdf
A gallon, way to go.:bounce: :bounce: LOL.:D Pass the jug around boys.:beer: :beer: you could change all the oil in the fan but as it is not suposed to wear out or break down by temperature it should not need changing. If it is contaminated I expect the fan is stuffed anyway. cheers

I'm finding plenty of places that sells the oil in 50ml bottles, but it is in weight measurements. Like 3000wt, 10000wt and so on. The prices are likw 8.00 a bottle which would seem to be a single charge for our clutches.

I just can't confirm if the wt class is the same as cSt.

They use it in the diff gearbox of RC cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom